Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2007 :  1:52:52 PM  Show Profile
I love to can the "old" recipes. The only one I have from my great grandmother is her stuffed mangoes. Does anyone know a good source for some of the recipes our grandmothers and greatgrandmothers used? I also like to can what I would call the unusual "mock" recipes such as mock pineapple and mock spiced apples. Does anyone know of other recipes we can use when we have canned all we need of the garden harvest?

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2007 :  4:43:39 PM  Show Profile
Have you looked in a good library for old cookbooks? I used to find a lot of them at a university library, and they always had canning recipes. Perhaps check in the book section of an antique store? I've found some really neat old recipes that way. A lot of times, depending on how old "old" is, you do have to be careful because there have been advances in food science that make home preserving safer following modern recommendations.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2007 :  2:38:25 PM  Show Profile
Hi, Shirley! I think I've got a couple old recipes for canning hanging around. I'll check my boxes and see. Cross your fingers, though!

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2007 :  06:43:28 AM  Show Profile
Thanks to both of you. I'm going to town today and will check at the library. And Julie, I wait on baited breath. Hope you can find some. I really enjoy feeding my husband and guests something different.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Old canning recipes Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page