Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 In lieu of the hurricane...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic In lieu of the hurricane... Next Topic  

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2007 :  6:49:36 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Anyone want to post their list of essentials, so we can all help each other out? I will have mine up tomorrow. Maybe if we all list, we won't forget something.

Thanks,

Cheers,

Heather

janetinva123
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Janet
newport news va
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2007 :  6:57:37 PM  Show Profile
I am praying for you all

Jc
http://beloved-creations.blogspot.com
http://beloved-creations.com
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2007 :  8:42:18 PM  Show Profile
Hey Heather, I'm not in the direct path of hurricanes now but used to be. The last one was the bad girl "Katrina"

Once a "hurricane rider" always a rider a heart. I was in Biloxi, Mississippi when hurricane Camille hit back in 1969. That was the worst destruction anyone had seen then... hurricane Frederick tore up Mobile, Alabama in the late 70's the same as Camille did to the Mississippi coast and then we are still trying to digest the size of Katrina almost two years ago. I was in Mississippi for that one too and is why I'm now sitting in the mountains of Alabama.

I now ride them out "in spirit"! I'm adding my hurricane essentials list to jog your memory and I'll ride it out with you or anyone else that is in the path. I'm so hoping that Hurricane Dean jogs to the south a bit and goes in across Mexico instead of Texas as it looks like right now.

Ok, here's the list:

• Plywood and Nails to cover at the very least the glass that is exposed to the direction that the winds will come the strongest

• Add extra Hurricane straps to outbuildings, barns, porches

• Cover Air Turbins on top of your house with the super large heavy duty trash bags and secure with duct tape with lots of extra wraps

• Make sure any livestock, chickens, etc are in secure buildings. Cattle are usually left out in the fields but NOT goats and other small livestock

• Bottled water to last several days

• Full tank of gas in the cars

• Extra cans of gas and extention cords for the Generator if you have one.

• Lots of canned goods, chips, etc. to eat right out of the can or bag

• Propane gas for your gas grill if you have one

• Bags of ice

• Slow burning candles

• Flashlights, Weather Radio and plenty of batteries

• Place all of your important papers in a large ziplock bag and keep with you at all times.

Gosh, I know there's more but this ought to send your mind spinning! It's an adrenaline rush preparing for these bad storms but it definitely pays off if you don't have to go wait in long lines for gasoline, food, ice, etc.

I have a neice and a stepson and their families in the Houston suburbs.

Stephanie

"hold close your inner child and always listen to the gentle whispers" ~queenofdreamsz
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2007 :  8:48:32 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi ladies!

Okay, I don't want it to sound like I am trying to be a commercial here...but... I just wanted to ask if any of your who are in stormy places like Tornado Alley and Hurricane Alley had ever thought of using MaryJane's food as your emergency food?

It just seems like it would really be a good match to me. Food that won't go bad for a long time, but it easy to cook and actually tastes good! So if you don't have to use it and it starts creeping up on the expiration date- I won't go to waste because you will enjoy eating it!

Also it doesn't create a lot of trash to get rid of and you don't have to have dishes other that silverware to eat with since it comes in it's own cooking pouch. So as long as you had water and access to some sort of heat source to boil water (a small coleman camp stove would be efficient and easy to move with you) then her foods would work great!

So anyway- just something to think about. I carry several pouches of her food in the car with me in winter for emergency rations should we ever get stuck.

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

cabinmoose
True Blue Farmgirl

218 Posts

Lorna
Forest Hill MD
USA
218 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2007 :  01:59:30 AM  Show Profile  Send cabinmoose an AOL message  Send cabinmoose a Yahoo! Message
Alee,

What a great idea! Thanks for all the tips. We are not in this hurricanes path but have been hit by these storms in the past too. We normally get a weaker version of what those of you in the south experience.

Our last one was just 3 years ago, no electric for 9 days. It came back on just in time to prevent me from going bonkers.

Hugs,

Lorna
Forest Hill, MD

“I laugh, I love, I hope, I try, I hurt, I need, I fear, I cry.
And I know you do the same things too, So we're really
not that different, me and you.” ~Colin Raye
Go to Top of Page

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2007 :  04:27:41 AM  Show Profile
I actually have some of Mary Janes for just for that purpose. Problem is we can't keep it in supply because I'm always using it! :) Last year we had an emergency prepardness fair at my church and we all got to bring out our samples of things we would cook as well as have a dutch oven cookout outside to show off our skills. I brought Mary Janes camp food and I made chili in my dutch oven with a cornbread bakeover as the crust on top. Everyone said they were coming to my house if there was an emergency because I had the best food provisions. :)

"Courage dosen't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying: I will try again tomorrow."
Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2007 :  06:22:41 AM  Show Profile
Looks like we dodged the bullet on Dean-
We were a direct hit with Rita. Lots of destruction. My husband was a first responder so we were back early in the morning after Rita stormed in.

Just in case anyone has to evacuate please think about this.
My elderly father in law was living in an assisted Living facility and he "preferred" not to go with the facility so we shuttled him off with us- not really expecting the LONG 3-4 weeks without power that followed.
His PREFERENCE will be ignored and we will insist he evacuate with the facility next time.
We just didnt realize they would shut down entrance to the parish and such. Nor did we realize the damage to the infrstructure would be so massive.We definitly put him in more danger by bringing him with us. The end of the story is that my sister in Law (a nurse) was able to gain entrance from Texas and she took him to Houston with her. But he endured 3 full days of HEAT, over 95, with no way to cool him off but water and kids fanning him. Mosquitos, confusion etc.
SO- my point is we should have acted with our heads not hearts when we took him with us.

Guess I better check in on Dean- havent even done that yet
I HOPE I was right about dodging the bullet!!
Autumn

Isaiah 40:31
But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2007 :  06:45:13 AM  Show Profile
We don't get hurricanes, but we do get some heavy storms, and the ice storm this past Winter taught me a good lesson! After Katrina, though, I made a "storm readiness" kit, one for staying put, and the other for hitting the road.

I agree with Alee--I thought Maryjane's products would be perfect, so I purchased the variety pack-also:
candles and oil lamps
wind up weather radio
flash lights
wind up LED lantern (great!!!)
playing cards
bottled water, and water in large pots on the stove.
lots of heavy blankets. I hang some over the windows, too, in high winds.

For an evacuation:
blankets
emergency flares and typical car readiness stuff
2 nylon carriers for about 40 lbs. of pet food (dog and cat)
nylon water/food bowls for pets
first aid kit for dogs/cats
leads
Wind up LED Lantern
extra shoes and socks (feet get wet!)
cooler with ice and some perishables inside
travel foods, dry goods
emergency credit card (I have one that stays in the house and is never used unless an emergency, for hotels, gas, etc.)
first aid kit for us.

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
Go to Top of Page

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2007 :  10:28:28 AM  Show Profile
You can also pack up 72 hour kits. I have a commercial mylar bag sealer and all this will fit into a mylar bag.

Day 1 breakfast 2 granola bars, 1 can juice
lunch 1 pkg soup mix 4 packs of soda crackers (I think they come in packs of 2)
dinner 1 stick beef jerky, 1 fruit roll up
snack 4 pieces candy, 2 sticks gum

Day 2 breakfast 1/2 cup trail mix, hot chocolate
lunch 1 stick beef jerky, 1 apple cider mix
dinner canned soup (or dry soup mix), 4 packs of soda crackers
snack 5 pieces candy, 4 sticks gum

Day 3 breakfast 1/2 cup trail mix, 1 apple cider mix
lunch 1 pkg soup mix, 1 pack soda crackers
dinner 2 granola bars, 1 fruit roll, 1 hot chocolate
snack 4 pieces candy, 3 sticks gum

Water needed. 2 liters
72 hours of food for one person.

This is not my list but a friend of mine submitted it to me so I can pack it up. It will last 2 years so you will need to rotate it. You can also add money(cash), matches, first aid kit, flashlights or glowsticks, important documents, pocket knife, toilet tissue/kleenex, radio, clothing and rain gear, pen/pencil/paper, camping gear, tools, survial manual, medications. You can add these to a large bag or backpack along with your 72 hour kit.

"Courage dosen't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying: I will try again tomorrow."
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2007 :  2:37:42 PM  Show Profile
I don't know if anyone has already mentioned this, but if you have GRS or FMRS or amateur or CB radios, they are good to have ready and have extra batteries for. In a real emergency, cell phones may not work, and a 2-way radio can keep you in contact with loved ones if you have to split up for some reason.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2007 :  4:39:16 PM  Show Profile
Alee,

That's a great suggestion for keeping Mary Jane's foods on hand. I think I'd have the same issue as others though..meaning that they would disappear before a storm came about..LOL

When a hurricane is in the works we all do alot of spontaneous shopping combined with alot of adrenaline You have to "live it" so to speak, to understand how it makes you feel. If Mary Jane's foods were sitting on the grocery store shelves in the coastal areas they would be scooped up immediately!

For those that are disciplined enough to buy and put away under lock and key for hurricane season then the mail order route would be great

Stephanie

PS: If anyone hasn't mentioned it yet, Fill up all of your bathtubs for extra water.

Autumn, I think Dean is going straight for Mexico.

"hold close your inner child and always listen to the gentle whispers" ~queenofdreamsz
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic In lieu of the hurricane... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page