Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Bedbugs?!! Next Topic  

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2007 :  10:08:06 AM  Show Profile
Help me!!! I have had some itchy red spots that I thought were some type of bug bites the past few weeks and have recently been getting more and more. After doing some research I think that we may have bed bugs?!!! The bites look the same and it is worse in the morning. Now, after reading some sites it says that there are bed bugs and bat bugs. Bed bugs come from an infested house or used furniture where bat bugs come from bats or birds roosting near or in your house. Now, we know that there are probably a few bats in the attic so the bugs could have come from the walls or something BUT we have known the bats were there for months and never had a problem until a few weeks ago. We did get a used couch from my aunt a few weeks ago and I am wondering if they are coming from that? What would be your guess and have you ever had a problem or know how to solve this? Please help!!!
-Elizabeth

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2007 :  10:56:35 AM  Show Profile
I quickly found this site by Googling "bat bugs" so you've probably already seen it, but I'll post it here for the convenience of others (warning, if sudden close-ups of bugs frighten you, don't click on this): http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2105a.html

These guys are apparently pretty big -- between a quarter of an inch long to three-eights. I imagine you'd see them if you had them. Have you been sitting on the ground outside, or walking through brush/forest? Maybe something gets you that doesn't show up until after you've been to bed.

It's funny you should mention your problem, because I woke up this morning with three huge mosquito-bite-type welts on the back of my neck and also my rear end. I have no idea what put them there.

BTW, my husband and I use Sting Stop, a homeopathic gel that you can get at natural food stores, herb shops, and so on. It takes the fire and sting right out of bug bites. Truly amazing stuff. No home should be without a tube of it.

Go to Top of Page

Patsy
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Illinois
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2007 :  12:05:12 PM  Show Profile
Rosemary,

You might have a spider in your bed. Be sure and check. This happened to me awhile back and they bite repeatedly.

Elizabeth, I have no idea what you may have. But if you have introduced a used piece of furniture into the house, I would sure check it.

May God bless those who love the soil,

Patsy

Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2007 :  1:18:22 PM  Show Profile
If you have bed bugs you will see spots on your box springs or matress that resemble rust spots/streaks. This is of course the droppings from the bugs.

Folds and creases in the bed linens, and seams and tufts of mattresses and box springs, in particular, may harbor bed bugs or their eggs. They may also be found within pleats of curtains, beneath loose areas of wallpaper near the bed, in corners of desks and dressers, within spaces of wicker furniture, behind cove molding, and in laundry or other items on the floor or around the room. Sometimes, characteristic dark brown or reddish fecal spots of bed bugs are apparent on the bed linens, mattress or walls near the bed. A peculiar coriander-like odor may be detected in some heavily infested residences.

here is some more info:
http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/bedbugs/#residence

http://www.badspiderbites.com/bed-bugs.php

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2007 :  1:48:15 PM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
I got bite the other night by an ant in our bed. How he got there I have no clue. Are you sure they are not scabbies? Those are small bugs that burrow into your skin lay eggs, poop and leave for the eggs to hatch and the cycle repeats. Usually bites are in rows but once my daughters looked like bad posion ivy. Coverd her hands and the webbing between her fingers. Does not mean you are dirty or your house is, just a body bug that like clean skin. You can pick them up from others, outside, trying on clothes ect.. I have experinced them a few times with my children (lice too the children were always bringing home something yucky). The cure is very similar to head lice wash everything, bag, vacum repeat in seven days. I'm not sure if there is an OTC body soap as the Dr. always gave me a RX as the family was so big to save me money.

3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2007 :  2:34:32 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Patsy; the spider thing occurred to me. We do have all kinds of spiders. Probably the best antidote is regularly changing and laundering the sheets and using something in wash water that has a discouraging effect on the little tykes, but that is perfectly harmless to us. I wonder what that might be? Feverfew? Mint? Thinking about this...

Clarification: I'm referring to getting rid of little spiders and things via this method. I'm sure bed and bat bugs need a much more concerted effort.

Edited by - Rosemary on Aug 19 2007 5:37:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2007 :  2:40:12 PM  Show Profile
You need to get it checked by a doctor if you think it is scabbies. Scabbies it is considered a communicable disease and must be reported to school officials if you have children. We had an outbreak at our school last year and all the kids who had it were sent home and not allowed back until they had completed a two week treatment. It is HIGHLY contagous.

I do not know if you have seed ticks in your area. I got some on my ankles once and they wouldn't go away. It wasn't until a few days later I realized that what I had was seed ticks all over me. They wont just wash of your skin. I had to use a bleach solution and really scrub my feet for several days. It continued to itch for weeks. Some of the bites even swelled a tiny bit and loked almost like poison ivy. They can also fall off into your sheets and stuff. You have to wash with VERY HOT soapy water to get rid of the ticks. My doctor actually recomeded I boil my sheets.

Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
BLOG
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2007 :  3:54:57 PM  Show Profile
I looked on my mattress and don't see anything on, under, or around it. I did strip my sheets off and wash them in hot water and vacuum the mattress. I'm starting to think that it must be the couch that we got. My aunt has moved around A LOT and was moving again and wanted to give her bed and couch away. I'm starting to wonder if she knew something was up - why else would she give a bed and couch away?!! I don't want to think that she would willingly infest another family but I don't understand where else we could have gotten them?
THe bites look like pimples really. Some are alone and others have two fairly close together. Some are bigger and others smaller. I just want to get rid of them!!! So far I am the only one in the family with the bites but I read that some people just don't react to their bites and that they can be getting bit and not know it. I have always reacted to all bug bites so that's probably why I am getting bumps. Happy happy, joy joy!
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2007 :  5:20:36 PM  Show Profile
We have been experiencing this same thing. I know it's not bed bugs because we have a Sleep Number bed and have had it less than a year. The majority of the bed is plastic (support frames/air chambers). Our bed is pressed up against a wall and right below a window. I think we may have chiggars coming in...or possibly spiders because this house is FULL of them. I do know that we've been spraying ourselves with OFF every night before bed and that seems to help.

my blog: http://catholiccountrygirl.wordpress.com
my website: http://www.backwoodsjunction.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2007 :  5:28:13 PM  Show Profile
It really sounds like seed ticks which would explain why no one else has them. Have someone look real close. If it looks like you have tiny red or brown scabs on some spots they are probably seed ticks.

Have you been raspberry or blackberry picking? Could also be chigger bites.

If they itch bad try vagisil. it really works.

Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
BLOG
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2007 :  6:47:41 PM  Show Profile
flea bites will also cause a bubble.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2007 :  8:59:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I was just going to mention a possibility that it could be fleas. I would dust your couch and all your carpets and mattresses with borax and wait at least 2 hours, then vacuum. That should help kill any bugs you might have jumping around your house. It dehydrates and kills most nasties.

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2007 :  11:37:58 AM  Show Profile
Fleas! Yes! We saw a couple on one of our cats about two weeks ago, immediately did the vet version of Advantix or whatever that stuff is, on all three cats. (They'll each need two more doses at monthly intervals. I didn't strip the bed and everything, though, because I thought we'd caught those suckers quickly enough. Maybe not!

My work's cut out form me when I get home, I can see that!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2007 :  3:52:45 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Fleas are amazing creatures. They can get just about anywhere and they can jump about 3 feet. So if they were on your cat, they are probably other places too...

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Bedbugs?!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page