Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Bias Tape - I DID IT! & posted a pic!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Bias Tape - I DID IT! & posted a pic! Next Topic
Page: of 2

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  6:04:52 PM  Show Profile
Do you make your own or buy it? Which is easier? If you make it do you have to press it? I know about cutting the 45 degree but I'm not sure how thick to make it. If I make it a half inch, then I fold the edges in and press them, then fold it in half? and press the crease that will be exposed? Is that how that works?
Thanks
Cristine

Edited by - MsCwick on Aug 17 2007 5:26:23 PM

BotanicalBath
True Blue Farmgirl

1014 Posts

Elizabeth
Ohio
1014 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  6:33:29 PM  Show Profile
Buying it is much easier.... go to the store and pick your colors.... pay and sew. Easy

E-
BotanicalBath@peoplepc.com www.Botanical-Bath.com www.BotanicalBath.etsy.com http://botanicalbath.blogspot.com/

"I do my housework in the nude. It gives me an incentive to clean the mirrors as quickly as possible."
Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  6:36:02 PM  Show Profile
I make it. I have a really cool little tool for making bias tape, you just cut the strips and pull the fabric through while ironing and voila! you have awesome bias tape in your choice of fabric. The tool is just this little metal thing that was pretty inexpensive( under $5 I think) and was well worth it. I got it in the quilting tools section at a fabric store.
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  6:37:24 PM  Show Profile
Cristine- To make 1/2" double-fold bias tape, cut your fabric 2" wide on the bias. Then fold in half and press, open it up and fold each side into the middle crease and press , then fold in half and press again. Does that make sense? I can see it clearly in my mind! There are also bias tape makers that you can purchase. They are not very expensive. I make mine by cutting the strips on my rotary mat- there is a 2" wide, 45 degree angle already marked. Talk about easy-peasy! So I guess my answer would be, yes, I make my own. :)
Happy bias tape making!

Karin

Wherever you go, there you are.

Come visit me at:
www.madrekarin.etsy.com

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  6:56:55 PM  Show Profile
I've done both - I've made my own, and I've bought it. I made a cobbler-style apron that was edged in bias tape, and for that I made my own. It was a pain to cut, sew, fold, and press all of that tape (I thought that long, long line of fabric would NEVER end!), so the next time I needed bias tape, I bought it. The quality of the store-bought stuff was not good - the material it was made out of was cheap, loosely woven, and frayed very easily. If your project is a quickie and doesn't need durability, the store-bought stuff will probably do just fine, but if your project needs durability and will be washed a lot, I suggest making it yourself. In that case, you have some control over the quality.
Go to Top of Page

nitere
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Amy
Hickory NC
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  7:15:50 PM  Show Profile
we talked a little about this on the apron sew-along thread. i am too lazy to type it again
[quote]Originally posted by nitere

as for the bias tape...i bought some clover bias tape makers and my life is so much easier! they are very easy to use and since you are making the tape out of your own fabric, it is not nearly as stiff as the ready-made kind, which i think makes it easier to use, especially on curves. also, you get the freedom of making whatever kind of tape you want (color and pattern). i highly recommend them.
here is a link...

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog_old.jsp?CATID=24991&PRODID=11900

http://www.buraellen.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  7:25:11 PM  Show Profile
wow

Cristine is in awe at all that sewing info at once.

I think I'll buy it
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  7:35:07 PM  Show Profile
If I want solid colors I buy it. If I want patterened I make it.

Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
BLOG
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  8:47:35 PM  Show Profile
If you're doing lots of aprons or things that need trim it's too darned expensive to buy. I'd rather make my own.

http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  8:52:10 PM  Show Profile
Okay, no laughing, I was given stuff from my mil, and there were these metal things I couldn't figure out. they look like clovers except they dont' have the plastic piece on top. I am going to have to fiugre out how to use these!!!!!LOL
Carol Sue

Enjoying life.
Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2007 :  05:27:16 AM  Show Profile
Carol Sue, mine doesn't have a plastic piece on top either.
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2007 :  08:11:37 AM  Show Profile
Sheila - I admire you - I have the bias tape makers and all they do is frustrate me. I bought them when I worked at a fabric store cuz I wanted print bias tape, but I found I have no patience. First of all, to cut all that fabric on the bias and try to keep the wideth uniform........... ugh - I'm all about quick and easy I guess! Are there any tricks to make it easier?
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2007 :  09:03:33 AM  Show Profile
As Karin says above, use a rotary cutter & mat. So easy!

www.youaretoocreative.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2007 :  09:29:11 AM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
i make my own, also.
if they are going to be used on a curved piece it is better to cut fabric on the bias, but if it is a straight piec with no angles, you dont have to cut fabric on the bias.
i have the tools and i love them, but i also just use a rotary cutter....when i cant find my darn tool!

love
fran

(http://farmfolks-frannie.blogspot.com/)
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2007 :  2:13:28 PM  Show Profile
Ok now another bias question ;) Whats the best way to pin the bias on. The stuff I bought is like 1/4 inch. What's best way to attach it while I run it through the machine? The material I am using for this apron is a really thin sheet like material.
Thanks,
Cristnie

Has anyone ever sent $4.00 and 3 labels to Wrights to get a "generous package of clippings and trim for doll's clothes or small crafts?
Go to Top of Page

nitere
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Amy
Hickory NC
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2007 :  2:48:40 PM  Show Profile
i never pin my bias tape. is that horrible? i just hold it in place as i sew and only sew a few inches at a time. i also use the needle down position on my sewing machine, so that when i stop, the needle holds everything in place for me to adjust the fabric under the tape and keep sewing. does that make sense?

Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2007 :  3:54:55 PM  Show Profile
yes, that helps alot!
Are there any trick for doing curves? I'm doing a "U" shaped apron pocket. about 6 inches across
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2007 :  5:25:08 PM  Show Profile
well here it is. I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2007 :  7:43:51 PM  Show Profile
good job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2007 :  7:52:33 PM  Show Profile
Well Im reading about bias tape anyway- I have a bias phobia- so sooner or later I'm gonna get to the machine to practice all the great tips I'm reading about!
Good job Christine!!
Autumn

Isaiah 40:31
But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Go to Top of Page

nitere
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Amy
Hickory NC
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2007 :  8:31:46 PM  Show Profile
great job cristine! it looks great. did you do it without pinning?

Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2007 :  08:33:17 AM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
cristine,
looks really good. 1/4" is really small, and i always find the small bias is the hardest to do. there is a spray adhesive i bought from hancocks, several years ago that i think would be useful for this. it isnt permanent, it just holds things in place while you sew, kinda replaces pining.

love
fran

(http://farmfolks-frannie.blogspot.com/)
Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2007 :  08:42:37 AM  Show Profile
Christine, great job. New you could do it. Just takes practice. I know I still have trouble using the small sized bias tape and so use the wide on my aprons. It get frustrating when you're making baby items using that small tape and then find out the stitching didn't do through on the back. But on my aprons I use the wide.

Ladies, tell me more about that bias tape maker you all were talking about. How does it work and where can I find one.

Peace and love,
Annie
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2007 :  08:48:03 AM  Show Profile
Sheila, Thanx for the tip about the Bias Tape Tool.
Jess, I agree, it depends on the project as to whether I use storebought or make my own.
I some times like to use a fabric w/tiny prints or veigated colors when making Bias tape just for the fun/& intrest to the project.
But I must admit, making Bias tape is BOREING!
Christine, Cute pocket! Love the fun fabric. How fun it would be to take that pocket & edge it w/Bias tape made from a very tiny gingham fabric.
Is that vintage fabric? Luv the retro look & color.

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
www.katmom4.blogspot.com

Edited by - katmom on Aug 18 2007 08:51:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2007 :  09:04:57 AM  Show Profile
I saw a 1 inch bias tape make at Joanns in the quilting section. I'm going to get it. I got the 1/2" and it is really small.

When I make mine I start the fabric through the maker then pin the end the ironing board. Then I pull the make down the length of fabric and iron as I go. Hope this helps.

http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Kathie
True Blue Farmgirl

2436 Posts

Kathie
Thonotosassa Florida
USA
2436 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2007 :  3:53:04 PM  Show Profile
Look At you little girl!!
ok Autumn.. your Next Sister!!

In a World Where you Can Be Anything, Be Yourself..
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Bias Tape - I DID IT! & posted a pic! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page