Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Just ordered prescription glasses online
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Just ordered prescription glasses online Next Topic  

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  12:45:43 PM  Show Profile
I lost my glasses last month after I just bought them. I paid $375 for them and I didn't even have them a week! So here I am waiting till I get some more money together to get new glasses. ( I need them for night driving but not much else) when a friend of mine sent me an email about www.zennioptical.com . I had my prescription in my wallet and I just ordered new glasses for night driving and they were only $12.95 with shipping! They don't have the cutest designs and I hate not getting a chance to try them on but they were cheap, in my prescription and they will be here in two weeks. I'll let you know how they work out for me but my friend swears by them and only goes to the optomotrist just to get her prescription.

"Courage dosen't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying: I will try again tomorrow."

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  1:52:34 PM  Show Profile
That is really good to know. My daughter just broke hers and I've been trying to figure out how to pay for new ones!

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  1:56:38 PM  Show Profile
If you can see this page, then the people who manage this server have installed cPanel and WebHost Manager (WHM) which use the Apache Web server software and the Apache Interface to OpenSSL (mod_ssl) successfully. They now have to add content to this directory and replace this placeholder page, or else point the server at their real content.

ATTENTION!
Ayako, I just tried the link you provided and it came up with a page that read:

If you are seeing this page instead of the site you expected, please contact the administrator of the site involved. (Try sending an email to <webmaster@domain>.) Although this site is running cPanel, WebHost Manager, and Apache software it almost certainly has no other connection to cPanel Inc. or the Apache Group. Please do not send mail about this site or its contents to cPanel Inc. or the Apache Group.

I have no idea what this means other than it did not go where I expected.

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  2:10:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I clicked on her link and it worked for me. They might have been doing some page construction because that screen you saw was basically a "placeholder" page. Maybe try it again?

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  5:21:16 PM  Show Profile
I started to make a post about this earlier this week myself. I just ordered a pair a couple of week's ago for $17 and got my glasses on Monday. They are very nice quality and very trendy looking, but I'm having trouble getting used to them - the lenses are much smaller than what I am used to wearing. I don't think it is the glasses themselves but rather the smaller lens size. I prefer the older style glasses with larger frames and lenses. Anyhow, if I can find a larger lens size, I will definitely order another pair.

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Edited by - Bluewrenn on Aug 16 2007 5:24:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2007 :  12:53:06 AM  Show Profile
I'm happy to read about this option! I need glasses again and just refuse to go pay the huge amount and then need changed again in 6 months. I guess I'm at that stage where yours eyes start going..LOL

I will definitely check this out.

Stephanie

"hold close your inner child and always listen to the gentle whispers" ~queenofdreamsz
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2007 :  06:08:09 AM  Show Profile
When I click on that link I see that the shop is temporarily unavailable and I should try again later. Did any of you who used the site need anything special in lenses or is this just for basic reading-type glasses? Ayako, if you spent $375 on your glasses you might be in the same league as me. I am nearsighted with astigmatism, and the lenses I get are some kind of special carbon-fiber material to make them thinner/lighter. If I could get them for such a low price I'd wear a different pair every day!
Go to Top of Page

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2007 :  08:59:20 AM  Show Profile
I have an astigmatism in my right eye. My left is fine. You can get special add ons to your glasses like anti glare and tints etc but I just wanted basic glasses so I can see going down my dark driveway at night and not hit the fence! :) My vision isn't too bad, -2.00 and -2.50 but I overpaid for my glasses at the shop I was in a hurry so I got the first ones that looked decent on me and they were on the expensive side of the wall.

"Courage dosen't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying: I will try again tomorrow."
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2007 :  10:34:02 AM  Show Profile
I think my prescription is in the -6 to -7 range. Nothing extreme, but the astigmatism really gets me. I pay quite a bit for my glasses, but I think its a good investment because I have to wear them every waking minute of every day. When I was a kid, my parents' insurance was set up with a certain low-budget eyewear place and I hated, hated, hated, my glasses. I had to go back and get a different pair every year, hoping the next ones would be better. The first glasses I bought on my own cost three times as much as any I had every had, but they lasted eight years.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2007 :  12:53:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I certainly can understand how hard it must be for parents on a budget to get told their child needs glasses. On one hand you want them to be able to see and you have to fit it into the budget, and other the other hand the kiddo wants to look good since they have to wear glasses. This site seems like a really great place. I hope Nora doesn't need glasses, but if she does I will remember to go here or find someplace like it!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2007 :  4:36:55 PM  Show Profile
You supposedly have to have a copy of your prescription but they don't ask for it.

My eyes are really pretty bad, and I'm not sure how happy I am with my pair from Zenni yet - they make me queasy when I wear them, so I'm not sure that the prescription was done right. However, I did triple check it before placing the order, so maybe it's just that the lenses are smaller than I'm used to.

The lenses on the pair I bought are so small that I'm peering over the outside of the lenses and it may be the contrast between what I see through the lenses and the outside that's making me sick. I'm hoping it's just a matter of getting used to them. In any event, it was worth $17 to try it out.

Most folks that I have talked to really like their glasses from Zenni and I definitely checked LOTS AND LOTS of reviews before buying from them. (Of course, they probably all wear these modern (tiny) lenses so they don't have anything different to get used to.)

You can also get prescription sunglasses for only $4.95 + the base price of the glasses... so mine would have been $21 as sunglasses.

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Edited by - Bluewrenn on Aug 17 2007 4:40:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2007 :  09:37:03 AM  Show Profile
I think it's the small lenses, Erin. I have the same problem with the $300+ glasses I buy. And although the place where I go has hundreds of choices, not many of them are what think is large enough for the Varilux lenses I used to get, with three different strengths for reading, computer work, and long distance. (Astigmatism in both eyes makes me nearsighted; old age has made me also need glasses for reading, so...)

I gather that some styles really don't lend themselves to certain prescriptions. Also, without the place being able to match the size of the glasses, the placement of the lenses, etc. with your exact eyeballs IN PERSON, how do you know they're centered properly for you? Before deciding if your problem is just a matter of trying to get used to smaller frames, maybe you could take your new glasses to your eye doctor (or someone else with no interest in selling you new glasses) to make sure you've got something that's actually okay for you to be wearing.
Go to Top of Page

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2007 :  7:19:25 PM  Show Profile
Rosemary - I was wondering the same thing when I was playing around on the website but there is a place for you to enter in your pupilary distance that will center the glasses to your eyes. Most doctors omit this information on the prescription so I just called my optometrist and he looked up my file and told me over the phone what was in my file.

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Just ordered prescription glasses online Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page