Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2007 :  4:50:24 PM  Show Profile
People are starting to hide when they see me coming. I have made "Italian Zucchini", catsup, stewed tomatoes, tomato juice, and spaghetti sauce. The tomatoes are still growing. Help. I have recently retired and have been canning every day since the garden started producing. I need canning recipes. Thank goodness the zucchini and cucumbers have finished.

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2007 :  6:55:08 PM  Show Profile
Oh my oh my, I want some tomatoes!! I made the BESTEST salsa EVER!! Here's the recipe, it's super EASY too!

MILD SALSA

8 cups peeled, seeded, and chopped tomatos
2 cups chopped, seeded red/yellow/green bell peppers(I used banana peppers b/c I had a lot)
1 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic chopped
2 T minced cilantro( I didn't have, so i used my homegrown dried basil)
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup vinegar
2 drops hot pepper sauce if desired

Combine all ingredients in large "kettle" ( I used a pot hahah) Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat, simmer 10 mins. Carefully ladle hot salsa into jars leaving 1/4" headspace. Adjust lids, Process in boiling water canner for 15 mins. Makes about 7 half pints.

SALSA W/ JALAPENOS

8 cups peeled, seeded, and chopped tomatos
*1 cup chopped, seeded red/yellow/green bell peppers* OPTIONAL
3 cup chopped jalapeno peppers
1 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic chopped
2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp cumin
1.5 cups lemon joice or vinegar
2 T minced cilantro( I didn't have, so i used my homegrown dried basil)
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup vinegar
2 drops hot pepper sauce if desired

Whem seeding and cutting jalapenos, be careful to prevents yourhands from getting burnt.
Combine all ingredients in large "kettle" ( I used a pot hahah) Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat, simmer 10 mins. Carefully ladle hot salsa into jars leaving 1/2" headspace. Adjust lids, Process in boiling water canner for 15 mins.

I'm assuming that you know how to scald the tomatoes to get the skins off real easy?

Have fun!! I made the first salsa and just chopped one jalapeno pepper in it, and it's soooo yummy. Even DH LOVES it! Could eat it with a spoon!

Cristine
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2007 :  7:20:56 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh yum! I have just been eating mine with salt and pepper fresh! :)

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2007 :  7:45:09 PM  Show Profile
Color me jealous! The tomatos in my parent's garden aren't ready yet and the tomato worms have gotten to many of them. My brother was married a month ago so the garden was a bit neglected this summer. Enjoy those tomatos! :)

http://ruby--slippers.blogspot.com/
www.leezard.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2007 :  9:04:38 PM  Show Profile
I'm gonna type the names of some other recipes I have, and if they sound like something you would like to make, let me know and I'll type up the whole recipe. OK?

Chunky tomato soup
Tomatoes Vinaigrete(baked in a dish w/ other stuff)
Egg Stuffed Tomatoes
Tuna Stuffed tomatoes broiled tomatoes
scallopped tomatoes
tomatoe corn casserole
tomato zucchini casserole
bakes stuffed tomatoes
tomato cheese pie w/ salmon
green tomato muffins
tomato bread
green tomate bread
green tomato oatmeal bars
green tomato chocolate cake
green tomato pie
mock berry jam w/ ripe tomatos
dilled green tomato pickles
mock berry jam with green tomatos
green tomato pie filling

Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  06:37:19 AM  Show Profile
Wow, lucky you! Mine are still green. Still. Doesn't look like they'll be changing anytime soon, either.

I had such high hopes for them (sniff).

I'd be canning those buggers, and getting them into juice, diced, and whole tomatoes for the winter months.

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  06:39:24 AM  Show Profile
Wow, lucky you! Mine are still green. Still. Doesn't look like they'll be changing anytime soon, either. I had such high hopes for them (sniff).

I'd still be canning those buggers, and getting them into juice, diced, and whole tomatoes for the winter months--it's amazing how many canned tomato products I use for sauces, soups etc...it would be worth it's weight in gold to have tomatoes so productive!!!

Make salsa for christmas gifts!

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
Go to Top of Page

Georgia
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Angie
ballwin mo
USA
92 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  07:44:55 AM  Show Profile

I found this on the web under mountian-breeze canning. It sounds great but I don't have enough tomatoes to try it.
Tomato Soup
Chop:

1/2 bushel tomatoes
1 bunch celery
10 medium onions
Simmer vegtables together for 2 hours.
Cool enough to handle and put though sieve (or Squeezo Strainer).
Add:

1 1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup coarse salt
1 lb butter
Mix and add:

Small amount tomatoe mixture
2 cups flour to make paste
Bring to boil stirring often, taking care not to burn.
Ladle into clean, sterile jars and cap with rings and lids.
Water bath for 20 mins.
COMMENTS: CAUTION -- You will never settle for canned tomatoe soup again.

This soup is very good served with added cooked rice, noodles or ravoli.

dreamer
Go to Top of Page

LisaLu
True Blue Farmgirl

126 Posts

Lisa
Wildomar Ca
USA
126 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2007 :  08:24:51 AM  Show Profile
Rivergirl: I'm in the same boat! I have too many maters...I have done it all..sun-dried,canned whole-chopped-saused,slow roasted, and now I just put a pot on the stove,add cloves of garlic, fresh pulled basil, onion, cook it to simtherins, put it thru a foodmill to remove skins, seeds, etc,and put the sauce in a freezer bag, poof done! My slow roasted receipe is awesome...

Quarter 10 roma tomatoes - place on parchment paper on cookie sheet, set aside.

In bowl make topping:

8 cloves pressed garlic
14 large leaves of fresh basil, torn into small pieces
1/3 cup sugar
salt/pepper
splash of balsamic vinegar (just enough to get it all wet)

Mix it up and place a small amount atop your tomatoes.
Bake for 2 1/2 hours in 275 degree oven.

They are a flavor explosion!!!! I put them on everything, salads,sandwiches,pasta,bread,eggs. I keep them in a container in the frig, they will keep for 3 weeks...Hope you like em!

Happiness is homemade...
Go to Top of Page

Kay Marie
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Kay
Tomball TX
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2007 :  08:53:53 AM  Show Profile
Cristine:

Please share your green tomatoe pie filling recipe. I would love to put some of this filling up to give as Christmas gifts. I also think the pie would be great for the next chuch supper.

I'm a city farm girl so I'm not blessed with lots of tomoatoes, but love to can. The farmer's market sees me coming a long way off during season. One day I too may be blessed with an over abundant garden.

Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2007 :  2:01:52 PM  Show Profile
4 qt chopped green tomatoes
3 qt chopped and peeled tart apples
1 lb dark raisins
1 lb white raisins
1/4 cup minced citron(no they dont mean vodka girls), lemon, or orange peel
2 cups water
2.5 cups brown sugar
2.5 cups sugar
1/2 cup lemon juice
2 tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1tsp cloves

Combine all ingredients in large saucepan. Cook slowly, stirring often, until tender and slightly thickened. 35-40 mins. Fill pint jars or quarts with hot mixture, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Process in boiling water callter for 15 mins. Makes about 7 quarts
Go to Top of Page

aimeeravae
True Blue Farmgirl

341 Posts

Aimee
Deer River MN
USA
341 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2007 :  9:32:00 PM  Show Profile
One thing I love to have on hand and always run out of is stew base. There is not an exact method for this one. I juice my tomatoes, reserving a few for chunks. Add carrots, cabbage, green beans, anything you like in stew. Except meat. Pressure cook to be safe. This is great for any kind of meat, because its different everytime. I brown the meat and thrown the whole works in the crock pot. We have tried it with venison, pork, buffalo and even pheasant. Its all great!

Edited by - aimeeravae on Aug 17 2007 9:33:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2007 :  11:25:49 AM  Show Profile
I slow roasted some of my tomatoes last year. They're wonderful! I'm doing more this year.

"Nature always has the last laugh." Mrs. Greenthumbs

Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2007 :  6:36:59 PM  Show Profile
Here are 115 ways to prepare tomatoes! http://plantanswers.tamu.edu/recipes/carvertomato.html

I bought a copy of this booklet about 20 years ago, when I visited the George Washington Carver National Park. Now it's online! Wow...

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2007 :  9:20:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I am going to make homemade tomato sauce. I am really excited! :)

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2007 :  07:11:40 AM  Show Profile
Ok--about tomatoes.
Do you have to pressure can them, or can they be waterbathed?
In looking for a pressure canner, what's the best size, what's the best brand? I only have ONE ripe tomato, but I'm counting on the others to catch up, and I thought I'd like to can sauce.

Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2007 :  07:55:53 AM  Show Profile
Don't forget gazpacho to enjoy right now, while the weather's still hot! I like to add champagne to mine right before serving (for fancy feasts), or if that's not in the budgte or kids are involved, sparkling mineral water -- something to give it a fizzy edge. You serve it cold, of course. Lots and LOTS of garlic and cilantro are essential, in my book.

I opted out of tomatoes this year. I envy you! :-)
Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2007 :  12:19:37 PM  Show Profile
Thank you to all for the wonderful recipes and suggestions. You are all great.

Cristine: Please give us your recipes for the mock berry jam with ripe and green tomatoes. I am very limited on freezer space, so really need to "can" whatever I can.

Aimee: Do you can your stew base? I hadn't thought of making that. I used to dehydrate a lot of vegetables and make my instant soup mix (which wasn't really instant because you still have to cook it, but was delicious). How long would you process it? Water or pressure?
Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2007 :  12:23:47 PM  Show Profile
Angie - do you have the web address for mountain-breeze canning. I have tried to locate it, with no results.
Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2007 :  12:26:33 PM  Show Profile
Me again - Rosemary, have you tried canning gazpacho? I've only had it a couple of times and did like it.
Go to Top of Page

Georgia
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Angie
ballwin mo
USA
92 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2007 :  12:40:32 PM  Show Profile
Shirley- yes I do. It is www.mountain-breeze.com Its a great site for all kinds of recipes. I did make the tomatoe soup yesterday and it turned out wonderful. I added a couple of roasted red peppers.

dreamer
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2007 :  2:09:26 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Rivergirl_2007

Me again - Rosemary, have you tried canning gazpacho? I've only had it a couple of times and did like it.

Euw! Nooooooes! Gazpacho HAS to be served fresh. I've seen canned gazpacho in stores, but I never bought any because, well you know, euw!

Sorry...but I guess you could give it a try. Tell us how it came out!
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2007 :  07:45:24 AM  Show Profile
Hey Christine!!!

How much salsa does the recipe you gave make? I'm going to put some up this weekend, I think, and was just curious.

Jonni

Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2007 :  3:34:50 PM  Show Profile
I was reading the Ball canning bible last night and noticed the boiling water bath recipes for plain tomatoes mostly said to add lemon juice (to increase the acid content) Some of the newer varieties of tomatoes are lower acid.

I also noticed the boiling water batch recipes said to process quarts for 40 minutes while the pressure canner recipe said to do 20 minutes. It sounds like a time savings, but it actually works out about the same in practice because it takes 10 minutes to bring the pressure up and another 10 minutes to bring it back down after processing. I guess it saves fuel energy to use the pressure canner, so it might be a "greener" method.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2007 :  5:58:06 PM  Show Profile
My mom and I have always done them "water bath" style, but good point about the lemon juice!

All this tomato talk makes me crave some tomato juice-- freshly juiced, still hot from the pot! All your recipes sound so yummy, can't wait to try some of the salsa. The last time I tried making salsa, the peppers ate my hands raw and in the end the finished product wouldn't even qualify as "mild". More like soft veggies in a jar. :(

"There is a Happy Dale far, far away. . ." -Arsenic and Old Lace
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2007 :  7:45:39 PM  Show Profile
Last year I learned to make my salsa this way:

Cut up the veggies fine. Salt them and let them sit for a while - at least an hour but 2 or 3 is better.

Pour through a strainer. Save the juice - can it if you like. Kind of like V-8 but zestier. I love this for breakfast.

Then bring the remaining solids up to a boil. Use a slotted spoon when filling the sterilized jars. When all the veggies are in the jars, can the rest of the juice.

We like chunky salsa and pouring off the juice twice seems to be the best way for us to get it.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What can I do with my tomatoes? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page