Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2007 :  11:46:10 PM  Show Profile
Some of you know that my doctor had diagnosed me with early emphysema and sent me off to a lung doctor a couple months ago. I had alot of tests (pulmonary function test, ctscan, and sleep study) a few weeks ago and finally got to hear the results today at a doctor appt..with the lung doctor again.
He said he has ruled out emphysema...hooray!!! But that I have really bad sleep apnea. And asthma..which is what I thought I had in the first place. The sleep apnea he said was a huge concern since it is really bad (he said I stopped breathing or breathed really really shallowly 16 to 17 times an hour while sleeping. My oh my..that was a surprize. No wonder I don't feel rested..ever!! Anyway, now I get to go back to the dreaded sleep study center for another night (on the 31st..he wanted it to be sooner but I couldn't fit it in and it couldn't be a school night!!) to be evaluated for a breathing apparatus to wear to sleep in. (thanks so much to the farmgirls who have emailed to tell me about their experiences with these!! ) and he put me on advair too. He said it will make a huge difference and told me, of course that losing weight would help too. Okay...time to get serious on that one too. Anyway...happy day that it isn't emphysema after all...and I would sure love to hear from any of you who have sleep apnea and what to expect!! He said I needed to be very concerned!! Yikes.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2007 :  12:30:38 AM  Show Profile
Hey Jenny,

I know I need to have a sleep study done. I have always had a hard time getting to sleep and staying asleep and I've been told that I "stop" breathing..they've seen it!

I have a friend that used the "breathing" equipment and it has worked wonders in their life. They actually sleep and wake up rested now since they are never deprived off oxygen. The equipment is kind of hard to get used to but they say it's worth it since their life was at stake without it. Kind of scary to think how many of us may be suffering from the same problems.

Is your insurance covering the Sleep Study?

Would like to hear more about your progress.

...til next time ~ queenofdreamsz

"hold close your inner child and always listen to the gentle whispers" ~queenofdreamsz
Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2007 :  12:48:55 AM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
jenny,
glad to hear you got some answers and that it isnt emphysema.
i have severe sleep apnea, and sleep with a machine. it is a littl hard to get used to but you do feel the difference, and if you dont use it....you do feel the difference. as an aside, my doctor said that i might loose weight , i did, but only 8 lbs. with the use of the machine, because when you dont rest right, the very next day your body produces more cortisol, which really has an adverse affect on your body and one of the things it does is facilitate storing of fat.
so while you sleep you may be helping your body to loose weight.
it really is a relatively easy way to change something about your body that is not working right.....much better than just adding another perscription.
anyhow, i think you will come to really enjoy the good sleep you get.

love
fran

(http://farmfolks-frannie.blogspot.com/)
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2007 :  06:18:20 AM  Show Profile
Aunt Jenny,
Maybe until you get the apparatus you could try Breath Right Strips. They really help me when I'm plugged up and snoring.
http://www.breatheright.com/
They are not expensive maybe $5 OR $6 dollars a box of 12.
Just a thought...
Karen

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2007 :  06:38:59 AM  Show Profile
What kind of hook ups are we talking about? Like Frannie and Stephanie mentioned, What do they look like? Really hope Jenny that they can help you, lack of sleep is not a good thing. How in the world do you sleep at all at these test things?
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2007 :  07:44:34 AM  Show Profile
I'm glad your okay Jenny!!!I have asthma too, but since we pulled up all of our carpets and put in wood laminate floors I've noticed I haven't had a flare up in a really long time!!! As for weight loss I know, no fun! But I would suggest walking!!! It's free and fun and if you go 3-4 miles thats burning 300-400 calories a day!! Easy! Good luck!!
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2007 :  08:08:51 AM  Show Profile
Jenny, I'm so glad you don't have emphysema! A friend had severe sleep apnea, hated the machine in the beginning, got a different mask which worked well for her... the best news is she did lose weight and now has no sleep apnea or machine. Wishing you the best,

Ann
Sairy Hill Thicket
There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2007 :  09:08:09 AM  Show Profile
Whew! That is good news. DH uses the breathe right strips like Karen suggests, and they have really helped. I don't wake up thinking he's dead anymore. Funny now, but it was terrifying then. Breathing is good. :)

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2007 :  09:14:44 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh Aunt Jenny! I am so glad that it was sleep apnea after all! Let's here it for the Young'un doc!! YAY! Okay the good news is that with treatment you can actually get rid of sleep apnea! But you would have to eliminate all the issues (like the weight).

I am just so glad that it didn't turn out to be the emphysema!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2007 :  09:52:26 AM  Show Profile
Such good news, Jenny! Hopefully the machine to help prolong your sleep periods will begin to show a big difference. And it is good to see in a post that you can get different types of masks if one is just not right for you. Wishing you happy dreams tonight! Nance
Go to Top of Page

nitere
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Amy
Hickory NC
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2007 :  10:01:24 AM  Show Profile
so glad you don't have emphysema! i know several people who use the machine to sleep, and it has done wonders in their lives. i hope that you are able to find a solution quickly and that you get some relief.

http://www.buraellen.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2007 :  10:21:44 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for sharing your news, Aunt Jenny. Hooray to not having emphysema; that's a major win, isn't it?

Sleep apnea seems more commone these days, or maybe just more frequently diagnosed. Anyway, I have friends and family members who use those machines and they have made a huge difference in how they feel during the daytime hours. Good luck to you!

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2007 :  11:15:06 AM  Show Profile
Thanks so much!! I haven't seen all the different types of mask things..but there are alot of styles from what I hear..my hardest thing is that I mostly breathe through my mouth when I am sleeping so the breathe right things don't help much (I tried them) My dad had the same problem with them. At the sleep study place it WAS really hard to sleep with all the wires and stuff hooked up. Not my favorite thing.The apparatus they had on display looked like snorkel gear!!! So we will see..I am quite relieved.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2007 :  11:44:59 AM  Show Profile
I'm soooo glad, Jennie!! At least with this diagnosis, you have something to work for! Stu and I both have sleep apnea. We use the machines. It's hard at first, but you get used to things, especially when you know they're probably going to stop you from having a heart attack. The technician at the sleep center I went to said a lot of the diagnosed "heart attacks" were because of sleep apnea.

Farmgirl hug,
Patricia

check out my etsy site http://ThePlayfulFarmgirl.etsy.com

Take me home, country roads
Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2007 :  11:51:27 AM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
when i went for the second night, that is when they tried the different apparatus to see which one would work for me. when they first put the machine on you, it is a startling feeling, but that is not how it will feel forever. you really get used to it, it just takes a little time. and my company has a 800 number so you can call during the adjustment time to ask questions. which i did. my apparatus looks like an elephant trunk, and my grandkids call it my nose machine. olivia thinks it is making my nose look much prettier, thank you very much!

love
fran

(http://farmfolks-frannie.blogspot.com/)
Go to Top of Page

Luzy
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Luanne
Pueblo Colorado
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2007 :  12:07:39 PM  Show Profile
Yippee Jenny!!! I've been so worried about you! Did you get my e mail?? Any hoo...My son's friend was diagnosed with this condition, and the breathing machine (don't know what you call it) has made a huge difference in his quality of life. I hope you get good results soon! Hugs, Lu

--
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.
http://luzy.etsy.com- My etsy store!
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2007 :  12:47:33 PM  Show Profile
so glad that you don't have emphysema! hoping that the sleep problems are resolved real soon. hugs to you!

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  5:05:19 PM  Show Profile
When you are all saying "breathing machines" are you referring to being on oxygen? My father-in-law has sleep apnea and is on oxygen at night. My husband is a paramedic and convinced him to lower the level. If you get too "used" to higher oxygen levels, you lungs actually get lazy and don't work as well as they should during the day. Anyway, he does that and also sleeps in a recliner . . . the elevation helps the breathing. Between that, losing some weight, and not eating after 7 pm he has done really well. The not eating after 7 pm thing is great . . . not only does it help you to lose the weight, but it also majorly reduces indigestion. Best of luck!

Hugs & blessings,

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  5:24:37 PM  Show Profile
Yep...I have been told what I will be fitted for is a CPAP...I can't remember what it all stands for but the A is for apparatus and one of the p's is pressure. And there will be oxygen. I just found out yesterday that the advair he put me on is going to cost $174 a month!! Yikes! I can't do that! He started me with a 2 week sample..so if it isn't doing anything after a week goes by I am going to see if maybe, just maybe there is something else. Wow. We don't have prescription coverage.
Part of the wierd part for me is that I NEVER sleep on my back..so I am not sure how that will work out...we will see. If I fall asleep in a recliner I actually feel worse, but if I lay on the couch, on my side with my head on the arm of the couch it helps sometimes..wierd. huh. I am doing the not eating after 7 thing now...I am sure that will help. I have a bad habit of snacking when I am up late..not alot, but enough to make a difference!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  6:20:13 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
Yep advair is a little pricey I have to take it better with it than with out it. But that is my cheep medicine. I have some that run 700- 900 dollars a bottle depending where I buy it and that is for 15 doses.

My grandfather had sleep apnea(sp) the mask did help him a ton and he felt much better

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my bloghttp://sunshinescreations.vintagethreads.com/
my web store http://vintagethreads.com/

Edited by - sunshine on Aug 17 2007 05:30:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

Sweet Harvest Homestead
True Blue Farmgirl

279 Posts

Lindy
Stanfield NC
USA
279 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  6:33:26 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jenny,
I am glad that it was not as serious as thought.
My Daddy has Sleep Apnea and I know my DH does.( although he won't go to the doc about it) I have counted to 8 before when he is sleeping from the time he took in a breath to the time he let it out.
My Daddy has worn a mask for years. He sleeps so much better. It is a little cumbersome when you go to somewhere else for the night, taking the machine with you and all but- small price to pay for the way you are going to feel once you really get a good nights sleep.
You hang in there girl. I am thinking of you.
Lindy

www.sweetharvesthomestead.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Test results Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page