Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 UPDATE 9-5-07-Son Going Away To College
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic UPDATE 9-5-07-Son Going Away To College Next Topic
Page: of 2

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2007 :  06:04:24 AM  Show Profile
So my son Adam has graduated from High School and next weekend my husband and I will be driving him down to school in FL.(we are in WNY) He will be going to study Aerospace Engineering in Daytona beach. We are just so proud of him but now my emotions are kicking in. Adam is my only child and although I am so excited for him, I feel like I am holding back a flood of tears. I just do not want to turn this into a crying-fest. I know, we have raised an awesome young man, yes, we have to let him go and yes, he will far surpass any expectations we could ever have had. But....I am getting that lump in my throat. I know that many of you have done this. Any suggestions? (Of course, I now know a little of how my mother felt when I left England at 21 years old!) I,m afraid that if the tears start then they won't stop so I figure I just won't cry! Is this crazy?
Angie.

"Mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance" JUDE 1:2

Edited by - britchickny on Sep 05 2007 03:21:06 AM

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2007 :  07:25:32 AM  Show Profile
We sent our last child off to college last fall and I completely understand!!! Just keep swallowing that lump when you take him- and when you get home cry it all out!!!! You'll be fine and he'll be having an awesome time. We had four children go away and they have matured into such wondrful well rounded people!! It''s a new stage in your life too!!! But it's okay to cry! I did alot of it the first week my baby was gone!!!! Hugs!
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2007 :  08:59:10 AM  Show Profile
Hug that baby!

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Kelly43
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

NJ
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2007 :  10:48:30 AM  Show Profile
Angie, I'm right there with ya!! We leave Fri. to drive my daughter to South Carolina (we're in central NJ) for her freshman year. I do have one more at home but only for 2 more years. You have put my feelings EXACTLY on this post. I, like you, know they will be fine but I am still thinking of the time it will be until I am with her again (probably Thanksgiving). My mother always said to look at it as another adventure to be on with them so I am trying to see it that way. I'm fine right now but am worried about the "tear fest" too. I will be thinking of you all week and have a very safe trip. I'll remember your tears with mine next weekend. Be strong!!! We will get through this, after all we are farmgirls and have all these wonderful gals out there praying for us.
In my thoughts and prayers,
Kelly
Go to Top of Page

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2007 :  12:49:20 PM  Show Profile
Thank-you all for your words of encouragement. I am torn between knowing that I will miss Adam, but also looking forward to my husband and I having 'our' time, but then I feel guilty! Such a mix of emotions! I think that as an ex Brit, I tend to keep my emotions under wraps but this may be one of the few occasions when it all just gushes out. Maybe I think of crying as a sign of weakness and you see, I can do anything, I am invisible!!! (gee, who am I kidding!) Just knowing that you guys are thinking of us really, really helps. Kelly, I will be thinking of you too as you head south!
Angie.

Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2007 :  3:41:06 PM  Show Profile
Oh brit chick,
LOL, yep get that chin up, nope girlfriend, have a good cry. You are happy and sad in the same moments, happy that he is doing so well and proud of him and sad that that boy of yours is grown up. You, my dear are perfectly normal.
Here is a saying that I saw yesterday and was thinking of just now.
Life is a balance of holding on and letting go. Oh how true that is.
Praying for this trasition in your life.
Carol Sue

Enjoying life.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2007 :  6:56:06 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I am so glad I have 18 years before I will have to send Nora off to college. I can't even begin to imagine how difficult it must be!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2007 :  8:03:00 PM  Show Profile
Alee - just stay in Moscow, and you won't have to send her far!
Go to Top of Page

EllynAnne
True Blue Farmgirl

108 Posts

EllynAnne
Pueblo CO
108 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2007 :  8:45:56 PM  Show Profile
Hey! The first essay I had published is in Chicken Soup for the Parent's Soul, and it was written as my eldest was 24 hours from leaving for sleep away college. Writing the piece, what I realized was my heart was breaking because his leave taking was the signal that he was absolutely no longer a child, and it was the child I wanted to cuddle just one last time. The End of Childhood, as the piece was titled, may inspire you or be just the band aid we moms occasionally require. It's now 9 years since I wrote that essay, and it is still an embarrassment to my son!

EllynAnne
www.apronmemories.com

Tie One On...an apron, of course!
Go to Top of Page

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2007 :  03:12:05 AM  Show Profile
oh, thank-you. I feel like such a wimpo! It is probably a good thing that I am working all week. A good distraction!
EllynAnne, I will look for the book, but am assuming that an extra box of kleenex may be needed? (LOL)
Thanks for the on-going prayers and encouragment.
Angie.

Go to Top of Page

EllynAnne
True Blue Farmgirl

108 Posts

EllynAnne
Pueblo CO
108 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2007 :  09:46:29 AM  Show Profile
Hey again! I forgot to mention something I began which has proved very therapeutic: my Couple's Shrine. I created an area on a buffet that is only for photographs of my husband and me, a reminder that before we had children, we were a couple who had a lot of fun together! The photos are from when we met in 1972, a real laugh just to see the styles, etc. I'm always adding to the gallery, to the point my Couple's Shrine needs a bigger space!

Let me try to find the essay and post it so you don't have to buy the book!

EllynAnne
www.apronmemories.com

Go to Top of Page

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2007 :  2:46:42 PM  Show Profile
Oh, what a cool idea. I have a feeling that I can find some 'appropriate' photos for such a project! I'm thinking about wearing my apron all the way down to FL. What do you think!!
Ang.

Go to Top of Page

EllynAnne
True Blue Farmgirl

108 Posts

EllynAnne
Pueblo CO
108 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2007 :  7:23:57 PM  Show Profile
Sure, wear an apron all the way down to Florida, and in your pockets, hankies. Vintage, of course!

ea
www.apronmemories.com

Edited by - EllynAnne on Aug 13 2007 7:27:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2007 :  8:24:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sounds good to me! Maybe wearing an apron will give you some comfort on the way back!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Shirlaroo
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Shirley

Australia
297 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2007 :  9:24:48 PM  Show Profile
My kids are still young and when I'm having a real bad moment (ie, 2 year old rolling around on the floor yodelling while 6 year old is nagging for something to eat), I think college won't come soon enough. The grass is always greener on the other side.

Friends are the best collectables.

Edited by - Shirlaroo on Aug 13 2007 9:32:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2007 :  03:01:40 AM  Show Profile
Shirley, thank-you for that 'poignant' reminder of the joys of motherhood! LOL!
Okay, Now I am going to pick out an apron and some hankies (oops, I won't need those will I, I was the one who wasn't going to cry!)better pack a few 'just in case'
Thanks ladies! Your'e getting me through the week!
Angie.

Go to Top of Page

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2007 :  5:36:57 PM  Show Profile
Made it to NC in 12 hours! Tomorrow we will arrive in Daytona Beach. It's pretty hot down here! How do you southern gals manage!!Adam is getting excited and looking forward to settling in to his dorm. Keep us in your prayers please!
Angie
(ps-no tears yet!LOL!)

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2007 :  7:00:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Go Angie! Good job! The tears will come when you are ready for them and I think they are a good thing as part of the whole process. You are being an awesome mom! I remember when my mom and dad helped me move 735 miles away (here to Moscow). My mom didn't cry until we were saying out good-byes. It was probably the hardest day for us both, but we are if anything, even closer today then we were then. *hugs* You and Adam will make it through and hopefully your pain will be rewarded with a stronger and even more amazing son than you have now.

Oh and I can't even imagine the day that Nora will go away to college let alone if she ever decides to move over seas! Yikes!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2007 :  09:48:17 AM  Show Profile
Angie, how are you making out? I figure Adam is in his dorm, now, and you're considering those hankies in your apron. You're in my prayers.
Hugs,

Ann
Sairy Hill Thicket
There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2007 :  2:41:30 PM  Show Profile
Well, we are having a couple of fun days in Daytona Beach and then Adam will be checking into his dorm on Wednesday. So far, so good!
Now that we are here, a lot of the 'big build up' has gone. Campus is quite a distance from 'party central' so Joe and I are happy about that!
Continued thanks for prayers and thoughts.
Angie.

Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2007 :  5:01:18 PM  Show Profile
How are you and Joe, Angie? I asked Phil about an aerospace school in Daytona Beach, and for the life of me can't remember the name he gave me. I think he knows where your son is; he works for NASA as-- you guessed it--an aerospace engineer. Has mentored a lot of college kids over the years. Anyway, I do hope you're okay...
Blessings,

Ann
Sairy Hill Thicket
There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2007 :  04:39:11 AM  Show Profile
Well, Joe & I are back home in WNY and Adam is all settled in at Embrey Riddle. The move in went very smoothly and I was really impressed with how self confident my son is! We got him settled in to his dorm on Wednesday, met his room-mate who seems a good match (phew!) and when we went back to visit on Thursday they looked like they had alrady been there a month!
We kept the good-byes to a minimum and I was fine until Joe and I stopped on our trip home on Friday evening. Sun-burned, tired, hungry, that's all it took! Anyway, I am so glad to be home. Traveling is fine but as Dorothy says, 'there's no place like home' Thnak-you to all of your thoughts and prayers. means a lot to me.
Angie.

Go to Top of Page

Runbikegrrl
True Blue Farmgirl

250 Posts

MaryAnn
Waterbury Ctr VT
USA
250 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2007 :  05:08:09 AM  Show Profile
I take my son to college next Sat. As some of you know it has been touch and go since he got kicked out of his expensive private school last May. He did the work, got his diploma and his scholarship is still being offered so off he goes next week. I am worried about his ability to do this.Not academically not problems there or athletically he is gifted...but his maturity is not there yet and he definitely ahs some issues with drugs and alcohol. I don't think he is ready for college (he doesn't either but the scholarship won't be there in the future its now or never...so off he goes. Praying he will make it and not get "sent home'. Been throught he "growing up process with two with no hitches...but Jon is the baby and it is tough!!!

"So many interests so little time!"

http://lovelifelivegrrl.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2007 :  07:34:23 AM  Show Profile
MaryAnn, it is hard! Even though you know you have to let them go, it is still hard to do. I guess after being Mom for so many years it will take time to adjust to the new job description! Let's pray that our children will learn and grow.(even if it is the hard way!)
Angie.

Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2007 :  10:56:22 AM  Show Profile
Yep, Embrey Riddle is the one! I'm glad the roommate is a good fit. Praying for Jon as well, MaryAnn. (and you, too, of course!)
XO,

Ann
Sairy Hill Thicket
There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2007 :  03:19:10 AM  Show Profile
Just wanted to let you all know that Adam is very,very happy! That means that Mom is too! He gets on really well with his room-mate, has found a couple of clubs that he is excited about, may get a small PT job on campus and got an A in English (which is not his best subject!) We talk on the phone every 3 or 4 days but I usually e-mail him every day. (Hey,I miss him!!)
So far he is embracing his new life and I cannot ask for more than that can I!
Just wanted to let you know.
(MaryAnn, how is your son doing? Has he settled in? I do hope so.)
Angie.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic UPDATE 9-5-07-Son Going Away To College Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page