Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Inspirational tablecloth found at auction
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Inspirational tablecloth found at auction Next Topic  

tiffany01
True Blue Farmgirl

134 Posts

Tiffany
Indiana
USA
134 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2007 :  10:54:43 AM  Show Profile
Last weekend I went to an auction with DH and my dad. The only thing I bought was a tablecloth with different signatures embroidered on it for a dollar. I hadn't opened it all the way before getting it home but I knew some of the ladies here on the forum had talked about having guests sign their tablecloths and then embroidering over the names. When I got it home and opened it up, I was so amazed! Some of the signatures had pictures by them and one had the date of Dec. 23, 1950! I am going to clean it up (suggestions on how best to do this?), do a little mending around the edges, then we are going to use it. And of course, I am going to start my own. I love special finds like this!

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2007 :  11:00:24 AM  Show Profile
What a special find! What kind of soil does it have? What type of fabric/fabrics are used? That will make a difference as to whether you wash it complete, spot clean, or even dry clean it.

A dollar! Once I found a double sized white bed coverlet with beautiful tatting on three edges - it was clean too, and it was three dollars. I never see those bargains anymore.

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2007 :  11:11:36 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Tiffany-

First of all I would suggest hand washing it and please don't use commercial laundry detergents on it. They can be extremely caustic to vintage fabrics. There is a product called "Orvus" that is actually an animal wash that a lot of preservationists use on vintage fabrics. It isn't a soap or a detergent but rather a water modifier so it is very gentle on the fabrics. If you have stains you can spot clean with lemon juice and short amount of time in the sun.

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2007 :  11:56:17 AM  Show Profile
Yep, I have used orvus, too, on antique doll clothes and needlework. It is great and quite gentle.

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2007 :  12:03:27 PM  Show Profile
Hm, maybe we should start a round robin tablecloth to raffle for a farmgirl charity?

Farmgirl hug,
Patricia

check out my etsy site http://ThePlayfulFarmgirl.etsy.com

Take me home, country roads
Go to Top of Page

tiffany01
True Blue Farmgirl

134 Posts

Tiffany
Indiana
USA
134 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2007 :  2:07:52 PM  Show Profile
I'm pretty sure the tablecloth is linen and/or cotton and it's slightly discolored from age. No stains that I can see. Maryjane's book suggests a milk soak, then the sun but she was referring to reddish stains. Anyone know if that would take care of the all-over discoloration?

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2007 :  3:30:49 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Tiffany-

Make a lemon juice water soak and then hang it in the sun to dry. Also a lot of old yellowing will wash out when you wash the piece for the first time. Most things out gas like plastic and even fabrics and that out gassing can cause yellowing when the gases settle one something else.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

The Handmaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Kim
Shreveport Louisiana
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2007 :  7:30:39 PM  Show Profile
Tiffany - what a tresure and makes you wonder about the folk whose signatures are there.
Patricia - I think you have a lovely idea!!

"Faith shall finish all that Hope begins."

joan walsh anglund
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2007 :  07:00:31 AM  Show Profile
If you do decide to use the Orvus buy it at the feed store for less! They sell very small jars at most quilting shops for 8 or 9 bucks (or more) and you can buy a gallon of it at the feed store for almost the same price! It's usually with the horse care items and is EXACTLY the same. Then you can use the rest just for regular laundry.

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
Go to Top of Page

tiffany01
True Blue Farmgirl

134 Posts

Tiffany
Indiana
USA
134 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2007 :  07:40:20 AM  Show Profile
Alee, what ratio of lemon juice to water would you recommend?

Holly, thanks for the tip for buying the Orvus. I bet a lot of farmgirls wouldn't realize to look for it at the feed store.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2007 :  1:03:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I would say about half and half. And then maybe 10-15 minutes in the sun. Save any left over juice/water so if you need to you can do it a second time.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

tiffany01
True Blue Farmgirl

134 Posts

Tiffany
Indiana
USA
134 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2007 :  03:27:46 AM  Show Profile
Thanks ladies! You've all been a wonderful help. Have a great day!
Go to Top of Page

tiffany01
True Blue Farmgirl

134 Posts

Tiffany
Indiana
USA
134 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2007 :  03:30:50 AM  Show Profile
I've bought my tablecloth to start my own. Any suggestions as to the best tool to have our guests sign with?
Go to Top of Page

cabinmoose
True Blue Farmgirl

218 Posts

Lorna
Forest Hill MD
USA
218 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2007 :  04:48:17 AM  Show Profile  Send cabinmoose an AOL message  Send cabinmoose a Yahoo! Message
Oh this is an awesome thread as I have to clean all the curtains and beadspreads that were in my Nannies doll house. They were all crocehted by my Great Grandmother (Gung), so they are priceless!

Great deal on the table cloth! Pictures please! Perdy please!!!!

Cheers,

Lorna
Forest Hill, MD

“I laugh, I love, I hope, I try, I hurt, I need, I fear, I cry.
And I know you do the same things too, So we're really
not that different, me and you.” ~Colin Raye
Go to Top of Page

a rose
True Blue Farmgirl

443 Posts

Linda
Waterford NY
USA
443 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2007 :  07:42:43 AM  Show Profile
There are fabric paint pens you can use.

Remember me as a rose.
Go to Top of Page

FarrarFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lynda
Frohna Missouri
USA
330 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2007 :  08:17:23 AM  Show Profile
Hi, Tiffany,
We started this tradition on my dad's side of the family about 5 years ago at Thanksgiving. We all get together the Saturday before since everyone scrambles elsewhere on the holiday. I bought a large piece of heavy muslin and then had my son, who is an artist, write Happy Thanksgiving in the middle with a litte decoration. Everyone looks so very forward to signing it and we use permanent paint pens, like Linda from NY suggested. They work well, the color stays true when washing and then your tablecloth is quite colorful.

Each year a different member of the family is the host and that person is responsible for bringing it with them each year. We don't actually use it on our eating table, it's on a table to the side for everyone to sign. It's fun to see just through the signatures how the kids get better at handwriting, singles becoming married and who was there each year.

I think you will have a lot of fun starting this tradition in your family, too.

And thanks to all the other suggestions for taking care of vintage fabric. I was at a sale last week and bid on a crochet/tatting sample book and it is very brown. I don't want to ruin the handiwork, so I wasn't sure how to care for it. I, too, had read about the milk soak, but will try the lemon juice one first since it seems to be highly recommended. Thanks again, ladies, it's a wealth of information.

Blessings on your day.

In His hands,
Lynda

Pray in faith and you will not live in doubt.
www.pamperedchef.biz/lorenzfamilycooks
Go to Top of Page

tiffany01
True Blue Farmgirl

134 Posts

Tiffany
Indiana
USA
134 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2007 :  3:59:48 PM  Show Profile
Sorry I wasn't clear on what I planned to do with the tablecloth. I am going to embroider over the signatures so maybe it doesn't matter what they sign with. I just wanted something that wouldn't smear or fade while I was working on it but would maybe wash away once the embroidery was done. Any ideas?
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2007 :  5:48:46 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I would suggest maybe a pencil or a pen if you are planning on embroidering over it.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

wallflower
True Blue Farmgirl

101 Posts

Holly
East Walpole MA
USA
101 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2007 :  7:48:14 PM  Show Profile
I believe they make pens for quilting that are water soluble. They are temporary, then can be washed out.

Holly

visit my blog at handittoholly@blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

tiffany01
True Blue Farmgirl

134 Posts

Tiffany
Indiana
USA
134 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2007 :  09:13:33 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Ladies! We used pens last night for our first signing and the guests loved the idea! I hope to start embroidering tomorrow.
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Inspirational tablecloth found at auction Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page