UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2007 :  3:32:08 PM  Show Profile
Looking into boarding facilities now because most places near me have waiting lists about 6 months long. So here's the deal. The place where I take my lessons is 40 minutes and about 1/2 a tank of gas round trip from home. They board there for only $200 per month pasture board and they will feed and worm. They have miles of trails. There is another place about 5 miles from me with miles of trails but they are $400 per month pasture board for feed twice day. The are newer, the ring is brand new, and a little cleaner. They have a ferrier and vet that come out regularly but they of course are separate fees. If I go with the further drive I'm spending about $60 per week extra (going 3 times per week) just in gas anyway so should I go with the closer boarding place even though it is $400 per month? Most places around here will charge anywhere from $150-450 for pasture board depending on how close to the city you are. Should I keep shopping? It sounds like a lot but I want some place with trails because I won't have a trailer to haul a horse when ever I feel like it.

"Courage dosen't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying: I will try again tomorrow."

janetinva123
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Janet
newport news va
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2007 :  4:05:34 PM  Show Profile
Wow that is high. I was just in Tennessee and at Ft Campbell they board for 150 per month not sure what that included but if you are near a military base that has mwr horse boarding it would benefit you to look into.

Jc
http://beloved-creations.blogspot.com
http://beloved-creations.com
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2007 :  6:33:12 PM  Show Profile
Those price ranges sound about right. 150 is VERY affordable(in this area that's the cheapest). I don't think any more than 200 for full pasture board. (horse doesn't come in at night right?) Just a few run-in sheds for shelter??
Cristine
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2007 :  7:11:13 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Ayako-

It sounds like you would end up paying over $400 a month between gas and boarding if you used the other place so you might as well use the one that is closer to town, but I would keep looking just incase there is something cheaper.

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2007 :  7:15:34 PM  Show Profile
There are plenty of "backyard" boarders with signs in front of their houses but there is no riding ring or trails but they are cheaper. I'm going to talk to DH again and see what he thinks. I think he is "horsed" out for a while and wants me to stop talking about it. So I have her website info on the fridge and if he mentions it then I'll talk to him about it. It really is a moot point until I get my horse anyway. Cross your fingers girls and hope my trainer comes up with a good one for me.

"Courage dosen't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying: I will try again tomorrow."
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2007 :  8:04:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Ayako-

I would go to somewhere that has trails, because like you said- you don't have a trailer and you want to be able to ride. And riding around in an arena all the time will get old after a while :)

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic horse boarding Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page