Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Missing rolls, cake, pizza and more
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Missing rolls, cake, pizza and more Next Topic  

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2007 :  9:03:52 PM  Show Profile
My 4 year old daughter and I have Celiac Disease, which is an autoimmune reaction to gluten (found in wheat, oats, barley, and rye). I was wondering if any other farmgirls are familiar with it and have any good tips or recipes to share/ exchange? We have only been diagnosed for a couple years and I am still finding things all the time that surprise me! There are websites with support groups and stuff but some of the people and suggestions are so far out there. . .

"There is a Happy Dale far, far away. . ." -Arsenic and Old Lace

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2007 :  06:47:32 AM  Show Profile
If you have a Sweetwater Tavern (restaurant chain) they make a dessert called "Flourless Chocolate Waffle" that is to die for. Also, Whole Foods grocery store is carrying more and more gluten-free (GF) products, including fairly decent biscuits. You are absolutely right, there are tons of choices for you and your DD, once you know what to look for! Good luck to you!

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2007 :  07:29:23 AM  Show Profile
Look at Azure Standard. They have an online site and you can order quite a few things without gluten. We have been dealing with dairy allergies, so I know the food issues can be tough sometimes. We spend a lot of time reading labels! I hope you are able to find the things you need.

Lord, keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth!
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2007 :  11:41:58 AM  Show Profile
Molly,

I did a serch on the phrase Gluten Free within the last year; see link where there are four postings from earlier farmgirl conversations. This is just from the "Kitchen" section of the forum.

http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/search.asp

If this link doesn't work, you can do your own search through the Kitchen, or perhaps Here's to your Health section.

Good luck, there are lots of gluten free choices out there for you to try.

Jo

Edited by - Hideaway Farmgirl on Aug 14 2007 11:43:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  08:51:07 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Jo!

We are adjusting to the change, and really are eating much healthier since we have to avoid most pre-packaged, processed food. Most things I am learning to make from scratch now, whereas I would have just bought them (less healthy, more $$) before. Still looking for the perfect bread recipe, though. A loaf of GF bread can cost anywhere from $2-5.

Best investment yet, though, has been a wheat grinder. Not for wheat, of course, but for rice. I have found that rice flour and cornstarch is a wonderful substitute for wheat flour in almost any recipe. The combination of 2 parts rice flour to 1 part cornstarch makes a great silky-like consistancy.

"There is a Happy Dale far, far away. . ." -Arsenic and Old Lace
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  10:55:59 AM  Show Profile
Yes, my boss has dealt with this for the last several years, and so I know what you are up against! Most of the chain restaurants will have a Gluten-Free/Wheat-free menu if you ask...or tell the waitstaff to ask the kitchen to modify for wheat allergy...it's more and more common, and they always seem willing to accommodate. I've learned to eat hot dogs without the bun (especially chili-dogs) with her at lunch, and sub sandwiches, without the sub roll...less calories for me, too. I will look up some recipes and send them via email...

Jo

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Missing rolls, cake, pizza and more Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page