Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Life Changing book... Next Topic  

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2007 :  6:48:40 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone read "The Irresistible Revolution: Living as an Ordinary Radical", by Shane Claiborne? It is one of the most inspirational books I have read, period.

Here's a link, or two.

http://www.amazon.com/Irresistible-Revolution-Living-Ordinary-Radical/dp/0310266300

http://www.irresistiblerevolution.org/

I'm a one girl revolution.

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2007 :  1:51:07 PM  Show Profile
Hey, Rhonda! It sounds very good; I went to the Amazon site. Have you read any George Macdonald? He addressed similar issues, circa mid-nineteenth century, using the novel format. How about Lisa Sampson's, "Quaker Summer"? Her family moved into the inner city to live and work. Thanks for the tip.

Ann
Sairy Hill Thicket
There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2007 :  2:14:37 PM  Show Profile
These all sound like great books, thank-you ladies for the input. I have started a 'must read' list because I will just forget! Of course, there is the running list in the purse, on the fridge etc! So much to read and so little time!
Hey Ann, love your tag line!
Angie.

"Mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance" JUDE 1:2
Go to Top of Page

janetinva123
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Janet
newport news va
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2007 :  2:27:54 PM  Show Profile
Yes he has been on main stream news and on public radio.

Jc
http://beloved-creations.blogspot.com
http://beloved-creations.com
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2007 :  10:04:18 AM  Show Profile
Angie, it occurs to me that the tag line is the title of a song (which you probably know) that was written by Keith and/or Melody Green, both truly radical revolutionary types...smile.

Ann
Sairy Hill Thicket
There is a Redeemer.

Edited by - Phils Ann on Aug 12 2007 10:06:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2007 :  12:58:16 PM  Show Profile
Actually, I do not know who they are. I have only been in the US since 1987, are they American? Recent? I think I was refering to 'There is a Redeemer (you bet there is!) but now you have piqued my curiosity! Please explain Sairy Hill Thicket. It sounds like the name of a little English cottage set the countryside! Do tell!
Angie.

Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2007 :  5:42:28 PM  Show Profile
Sairy Hill Thicket was the name of our property when my in-laws bought it around 1962. That's all my husband can tell me... I wish I knew more! I agree, it does sound kind of English to me, too.

Keith and Melody Green were Jesus Freaks and brought street people into their home to live with them almost immediately after marrying during the "California Dreaming" period. This was around 1970 or soon after. They later moved from California to Texas with their children, still bringing strangers into their home, when Keith (who was a leading "Jesus Music" singer/composer and exhorter) died in a plane crash with--I believe--three of their four children. Melody later wrote a biography of Keith, called "No Compromise" to the best of my recollection. "There is a Redeemer" is actually in our hymnal; it became a classic.

So, Angie, I am guessing "Britchick" refers to your being British, huh? I'm a bit slow Glad you're here!

Ann
Sairy Hill Thicket
There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2007 :  03:21:07 AM  Show Profile
You know, I wonder if the 'Jesus Freaks' movement was just in the US or also in the UK? I was born in '65 so probably missed it! What an unbelievable life story but then, there are so many courageous people sharing the gospel all over the world in their unique ways. Ann, have you heard Nicole C Mullen's 'My Redeeemer Lives'? I saw her at Women Of Faith in Rochester just a couple of months ago and she sang it. Talk about goose-bumps!
Yes, I was born and raised in the UK and emmigrated to the US after marrying an american GI (called Joe)who was staioned in England. We met at Monster's Of Rock 1987! I became a citizen in 1994 and what an awesome and humbling experience that was! Never underestimate the power of sayting the Pledge Of Allegiance for the first time! WOW!
I am an avid reader so look forward to adding more 'must reads' to my list!!
Angie.

Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2007 :  08:34:45 AM  Show Profile
Angie, I have a CD of Nicole C. Mullen singing "My Redeemer Lives"! I just love that song...no doubt it was very powerful in concert. We also sing it at our church. I don't know whether England experienced the Jesus movement... that was a really crazy time in my life :). I think I'll email you. And, so funny you married "G.I. Joe"!

Ann
Sairy Hill Thicket
There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Life Changing book... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page