Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic GRINDERS Next Topic  

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2005 :  1:18:05 PM  Show Profile
Help me out here, girls! Was at Goodwill yesterday and couldn't pass up this $2.99 bargain! It's a grinder, but different than the models I've seen before. It's apparently French or Swiss, and says this on the side, "LEGUMA Brevets Suisse Etrangers". The grinding mechanisms are about 5-6 inches across (huge my most standards). There's two attachments, one for slicing and one for grinding. You put things in the top as most grinders do, but the output portion is what's unusual. I've done a google search and didn't find anything. Does anyone know about this variety of grinder? Thanks!!

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2005 :  5:12:56 PM  Show Profile
"Brevets Suisse Etrangers" would mean Swiss and Foreign Patents. Beyond that I can't figure it out either.

Who loves a garden still his Eden keeps, Perennial pleasures plants, and wholesome harvest reaps. ---Bronson Alcott

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2005 :  5:51:26 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the translation, Lucinda! I think I've got a couple pics left on my roll of film, so maybe I'll take a pic and post this unusual grinder for all to see!

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz

Edited by - Clare on Jul 23 2005 5:51:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2005 :  10:11:36 PM  Show Profile
Would it be some kind of device to "French Slice" beans? The LEGUMA could translate to beans , peas or legumes...
Just a guess,
Sharon
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2005 :  11:11:32 PM  Show Profile
Thats what I was trying to figure out..the Leguma does sound like beans or peas ....or peanuts??????

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2005 :  06:56:26 AM  Show Profile
That makes sense, girls. When I first saw it I thought maybe for grain, but then the attachment with long holes every inch or so didn't fit that model. I think pics are in order!

Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2005 :  06:58:09 AM  Show Profile
I did some more research. I think this might be a baby food maker. Leguma appears to be a division of a larger company called Milupa. Is it a hand grinder or electric?

Who loves a garden still his Eden keeps, Perennial pleasures plants, and wholesome harvest reaps. ---Bronson Alcott

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2005 :  08:43:58 AM  Show Profile
Here's a b/w pic of the grinder... not the best but you can see it's shape and the two inserts. Yes, it is a manual grinder.

So girls, any further clues? Baby food sounds interesting! I bet I could use it to grind up Fels Napa for Aunt Jenny's recipe!

Thanks girls!

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/farmersdaughter1230/album?.dir=/13b7&.src=ph&.tok=phkHlXDBk_BpT.uV

Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  08:16:26 AM  Show Profile
*giggle* In Chicago, a grinder is a sandwich baked in the oven. Sorry, momentary lapse.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  10:52:10 AM  Show Profile
It almost looks like a slicer grater sort of deal rather than a grinder..hmmm
but yep..it would work for the soap for sure!!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  1:39:43 PM  Show Profile
Wow, I'm not really sure if it's the baby food grinder or not. It does look like it would work for soap though. And, if your like me, you'll use it for whatever task it will handle.

Lucinda

Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2005 :  06:18:30 AM  Show Profile
Hi Clare, I have 3 grinders, all old & usable but I dont know about yours. At first I thought maybe it had something to do w/ pasta, but I doubt it now after seeing the pictures. I have my older friend Marion who taught me all this old & wonderful skills. I will show her the pic's and ask if she knows. Michele

"she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands". Prov. 31:13
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic GRINDERS Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page