ElizArtist
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Elizabeth
Newbury Park California
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2004 :  5:55:09 PM  Show Profile
I have so many peaches that I may be forced to make them into jam or something. I don't know how... Everyone talks about things their grandmothers made well, I'm impaired in that department, my grandmothers lived in the Dutch-East Indies (now Indonesia), they had cooks, maids, and nannies and never ever made jam! My mom was only saved because they shoooed her out to the servants so often she learned something. Help me please!
Elizabeth

joyously dancing through life

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2004 :  9:27:53 PM  Show Profile
I can peach pie filling...and of course jam too. If you can sliced peaches you can fit more peaches into jars...just something I always do. Peaches are my favorite. I wish I had peach trees!!!! Lucky you..I end up with gobs of funny things like peppers or cabbage. I ended up doing pickled peppers last year..and saurkraut another. How I would love an abundance of peaches!!

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2004 :  08:55:42 AM  Show Profile
Elizabeth,
Here's a link to a crash course in fruit canning- looks like it covers just about everything!
http://www.ext.colostate.edu/PUBS/foodnut/09347.html
and another one that covers just about everything:
http://dmoz.org/Home/Cooking/Canning_and_Freezing/
and for jams and jellies, check this out....I wonder if she is a member of our circle??
http://farmgal.tripod.com/Jamsjellies.html

I was taught to can and freeze and make jams and jellies while growing up. But, living alone for quite a while now canning for one is questionable - and working away from the home doesn't leave alot of time or energy to pursue these arts. They are fun though, and nothing compares to the feeling of seeing canned fruit or veges lined up on the counter top cooling.... now that is just about perfection!
Good Luck and just go for it! ~Clare

Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural
Go to Top of Page

Paula J.
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Paula
OK
USA
68 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2004 :  08:59:18 AM  Show Profile  Send Paula J. an AOL message  Click to see Paula J.'s MSN Messenger address
Yum! Peaches! Will you adopt me? <bg>

I honestly don't know a thing about canning, although my mom canned some garden veggies when she had an overabundance. Afraid I was competing in tennis tournaments at the time and didn't have time to learn, however! So I'll just send loads of good wishes your way ...

We were hoping to pick blackberries this morning from a farm near here, but we've had several days of soaking rains, so we were washed out. Maybe next week ...

pj

[quote]Originally posted by ElizArtist

I have so many peaches that I may be forced to make them into jam or something. I don't know how...

Paula J.
Collinsville, OK
dragonflybodywork@earthlink.net
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2004 :  1:33:00 PM  Show Profile
Here is a way to freeze peaches:
Combine 1 cup honey with 3 cups water.
Heat to boiling.
Boil until honey dissolves.
Drizzle over peaches that have been freshly peeled and sliced.
Pack pretty tightly into freezer bags, leaving a little space at the top.
This is good for any naturally juicy fruit and is best used with fruit to be cooked for pies or cobblers.
Do not feed to babies under 1 year old, because some of the organisms that occur naturally in honey may bother them at that young age.

Putting up peaches in a jar can be a job, but they are great later in the winter. Just be sure to always use new lids, and make sure the seal takes (the lid will look concave).

Good luck and let us know how you decided to save those peaches. Can you imagine how the pioneer women worked to get enough produce to get through the snowy months? Wow, I respect them for that.
Jeannie

Go to Top of Page

ElizArtist
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Elizabeth
Newbury Park California
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2004 :  7:38:03 PM  Show Profile
Thank you everyone, I now am trying to make peach pies. I think they will be fine if we just put ice cream over them.
Elizabeth

joyously dancing through life
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2004 :  11:31:32 PM  Show Profile
My favorite. I will be right over!!!

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

HiDez Gal
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Roberta
Joshua Tree, CA
USA
122 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2004 :  07:42:33 AM  Show Profile
A neighbor brought over apricots, peaches and plums that he had grown most went into the dehydrator...i love dried apricots but don't like them as much fresh. Peaches i will eat anyway they are presented! You have now whetted my appetite for peach pie, or if i am lazy a cobbler or crisp. Say, have you thought about doing a fruit type bakeover? There has been a recipe in the MJF magazine for a desert where the buttermilk biscuit mix is mixed with eggs, placed on the fruit and baked. It is very good we made that several times during the cool months with apple but i bet with a little tweak of spices it would be really good with peaches...hmm, may do that it would be quick and easy.

From my favorite coffee cup:
"A gal's gotta do what a gal's gotta do." Minnie Cody, 1901
Go to Top of Page

FloralSaucer
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Australia
156 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2005 :  02:32:22 AM  Show Profile
I found a recipe like you described and the picture looks really nice.

http://www.calclingpeach.com/html/nav/consumer.html?consumeLeft.html&consumeTop.html&consume.html

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Canning backyard goodies Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page