25 Posts

kate
memphis tennessee
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2007 :  7:04:29 PM  Show Profile
Hi there gals,
my name is Kate and I'm new to this chat thing and to Mary Janes Farm
I introduced myself on the welcome wagon forum so I wont bore ya'll with that again.
I am planning an outpost outing/experiment soon - probably mid Sept or Oct.
I'm going to see how I make out living in my back yard for a month.
I live in a fairly nice middle-upper income neighborhood in Memphis, Tennessee (as a matter of fact there are homes a few blocks away in the $million range - NOT MINE!) My yard is small but faily private. I have a some nice spots in my backyard garden with veggies and will be putting in my fall garden soon.

My rules: (so far - they may get altered before I actually get started)
1. No electricity
2. No running water (don't have a well so I've got a couple of compromises on this one)
3. Can purchase food stuffs at the grocery, but they have to be non-processed foods (organic if possible)
4. Transportation limited to walking or bicycling (occasional use of my tiny Honda scooter

Part of the challenge is to maintain my 10:00 am - 5:00 p.m. job at an upscale invitation/stationery/gift store in suburbia. Where I have to dress nice and smell good and look decent to help all those city ladies choose which pretty invitation to use for their "Cocktail Supper" at the Hunt and Polo Club.

I've got my list of substitutionery power sources (pretty basic: candles, wood stove and plumbing substitutes also.
I've been praciticing with limited water consumption and use of electricity.

Should be fun.

I'll let you know how my plans are coming.

I did buy a nice enamel wash basin and a wash board for laundry.
I'm putting up my clothesline this week end and am going to test out the flat iron. I gotta be able to look nice and have my linen shirts pressed when I go to work. I'll let you know how that goes.

Later,
Kate

Kate, the closet farmgirl

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2007 :  7:56:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Kate-

It think that is fantastic! I can't wait to get updates from you!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

katiem
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

kate
memphis tennessee
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2007 :  5:19:24 PM  Show Profile
Alee,
I started setting up a blog. I hear that's the thing to do. I plan to post to it as a journal of my backyard outpost experience.
I tried the wash board OTG (off the grid) laundry today. It was fine. Actually better than fine. I loved it. I'm sure the romance can wear off, but I think my clothes are cleaner and it was very gratifying.
Clothes dried pretty fast since it was 100+ degrees outside today. i'm sure with the heat index it was closer to 107. My blog spot is www.katesoutpost.blogspot.com. Still working on getting it set up. No photos yet either.
Kate
P.s. Thanks for referring me to Sunny at MJF - didn't realize the job posting closed August 1. Oh well.

Go to Top of Page

Kelly43
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

NJ
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2007 :  11:00:15 AM  Show Profile
Kate, good luck. I can't wait to follow you on your journey, it sounds very exciting to me. Keep us posted if you can.
Kelly
Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2007 :  11:15:10 AM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
katie m
your adventure sounds interesting. please keep us posted.
i will be checking on your blog to see how its going.

love
fran

(http://farmfolks-frannie.blogspot.com/)
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2007 :  4:28:56 PM  Show Profile
hmmm. How are you going to post to your blog without electricity? Do you have some kind of solar charger?

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

katiem
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

kate
memphis tennessee
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2007 :  6:50:36 PM  Show Profile
Some new info
blog spot changed to www.2gkatesoutpost.blogspot.com (other address was set up wrong) The 2g is a nickname my hubby gave me because of my 2 gallon bath routine.
Answering Brenda,
I have 2 choices for my blogging. One go to my job early (before 10:00 and use their computer (off the time clock of course) or hand write my journaling and get someone else to post for me.
I'm not wanting to get too legalistic about this experiment. It is for my own personal challenge and enjoyment. I am going to keep my job (cause I really need it) and that will put me into a normal (fully electric and plumbed) setting from 10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. 5 days a week, but the rest of the time I'm on my own. I think carrying on the career routine kinda adds to the challenge. If I could just go to work in wrinkled old half dirty clothes, barely bathed and smelling of woodsmoke that would make it all a lot easier. It will be more of a challenge to get to work on time, looking the way you'd expect a retail purveyor of lovely social staionery and invitations to look. So wadda think - computer at work or handwrite?

Go to Top of Page
  Outpost: Previous Topic Backyard Outpost Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page