Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Want an Adrenaline Rush Through Your Stomach?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Want an Adrenaline Rush Through Your Stomach? Next Topic  

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2007 :  11:10:56 AM  Show Profile
Want a burst of adrenaline? Look out your front window and see smoke coming from the top of the mountain across the road from you!! Boy does your head swim with what-to-do's! The good news is, I think the helicopter dropping water and ground crews they flew in have it under control. The forestry spotter plane has flown over it several times this morning and it looks to be out. Scary though!
Di

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2007 :  11:13:20 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I bet your heart stopped, too! I'm glad they spotted it so soon and were able to put it out.

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2007 :  11:23:22 AM  Show Profile
We had something like that happen here last summer. We were sitting on the front porch and the horizon started turning orange. Went for a ride and it was a BUNCH of guys, kids, and such(your typical beer drinking hell-raising crowd) burning some HUGE HUGE piles on some timbered land. And there was a burn ban!!! Can u believe that? So we came home and called the Fire Dept. and they didn't even go check on it!!
There is a burn ban here again.
Scary to think of fire taking soo much..

Glad you don't have to worry anymore.

Cristine
Go to Top of Page

Kathie
True Blue Farmgirl

2436 Posts

Kathie
Thonotosassa Florida
USA
2436 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2007 :  12:15:27 PM  Show Profile
Oh Diane! My Stomach even was a mess reading!
hope it's all passed for you!!

Thats really scary business!!

In a World Where you Can Be Anything, Be Yourself..
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2007 :  1:55:38 PM  Show Profile
Whoa! That would be a shocker. Are you having drought, Diane? And, is the fire definitely out?

Ann
Sairy Hill Thicket
There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

janetinva123
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Janet
newport news va
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2007 :  2:01:23 PM  Show Profile
so glad it was caught early. it is hot enough here to start fires if the humidity was also so high

Jc
http://beloved-creations.blogspot.com
http://beloved-creations.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2007 :  4:57:11 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That is scarey! One year out family's cabin almost burned down. We were at the 4th of July rodeo and kept watching the flames as they were spreading and the fire getting bigger and bigger. We finally left the rodeo early to go check on our property. We watched with bated breath as the fire tried to crest the ridge that would have let it down into our valley. Luckily the helicopters came and dumped that fire retardant stuff and water and they got it under control. I remember the concern and panic about the fire when it was just our cabin- I can't imagine how it would feel for your home!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

Cheryl
True Blue Farmgirl

919 Posts

Cheryl
Magalia CA
USA
919 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2007 :  5:13:46 PM  Show Profile
I'm so glad they put it out before any damage was done.

Cheryl :)
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2007 :  5:22:00 PM  Show Profile
It's only by the grace of God that this fire started last evening when it was overcast and dead calm. This afternoon there is a stiff breeze up high coming up off the ocean which would have easily pushed it down into the valley.
We haven't had our usual dry summer here, as a matter of fact I still have water running in my creek which is usually dried out by this time of year. But what we do have is a terrific amount of blow down from the huge storm we had last winter. The forest behind us is literally covered with downed trees (hundreds) and branches, including some old growth. Tons and tons of fuel.
The spotter planes were flying over all morning and I've heard the occasional chopper this afternoon, matter of fact I can hear another right now, so at least they are making sure it stays out.
Di
ps...I love looking out my window. At the moment I have a mom leading, a dad bringing up the rear and 13 little baby quail in between them out on my lawn!! So cute!! Now dad is standing sentry on top of a little garden statue while the little ones eat the seed beneath my feeder. Nature can be scary, but it sure can be fabulous too.
Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2007 :  7:03:45 PM  Show Profile
Hang in there Diane! Hope the fire is out soon! Scary...!

Hugs,
Maryjane Lee

The Beehive Cottage~
est. 1971
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Want an Adrenaline Rush Through Your Stomach? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page