Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic My poor dear little bambi Next Topic  

Shirlaroo
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Shirley

Australia
297 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2007 :  7:23:08 PM  Show Profile
It is a sad day at Ludwig Hills. We just had to put down a calf that wasn't even a week old.My Husband brought him into the yards last wednesday. He was very weak, as his mother had large teats and he could not feed.We thought if we could help the calf latch on, he would gain strength and be able to do it himself.We ran mother and baby together up the race, thinking if they were together they might not get so stressed out. When all of a sudden The calf had a fall and the mother trood on him.He was alive but his leg was injured. We named him Bambi, He looked just like Disneys Bambi! I milked his mother and put the milk in a soda bottle with a teat.I hoped that his leg would heal, but as time passed it was obvious his hip was broken and we had to put him down. Sometimes it is heart breaking to be a farmer. May poor little bambi rest in peace and be free from the pain he was in on this earth.
Friends are the best collectables.

Edited by - Shirlaroo on Aug 06 2007 7:44:07 PM

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2007 :  8:27:02 PM  Show Profile
I'm so sorry to hear about your poor calf. I can't imagine losing an animal so young.

"Courage dosen't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying: I will try again tomorrow."
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2007 :  8:33:39 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Shirley--I honestly don't know if I could do it. Such little lives, such circumstances. Poor little thing--rest assured, he is in a better place, now, and feels love all around. Sniff.

J

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2007 :  9:45:23 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh I am so sorry that you had to put Bambi down. It really is hard when you have to make those decisions, but at least it happened around you where you could take care of it rather than out on the range where he would have not been so lucky.

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2007 :  10:42:42 PM  Show Profile
Oh Shirley..I feel for you. I have had animals (lambs and goats) born dead, but never had to deal with one dying so young...how heartbreaking!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2007 :  11:22:20 AM  Show Profile
Shirley, my heart breaks for you. That, to me, is the hardest part of farming. I HATE to deal with the death of the little ones!
julie
Go to Top of Page

UrbanFarmGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Megan
Surprise AZ
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2007 :  1:28:40 PM  Show Profile  Send UrbanFarmGirl an AOL message
I am so very sorry for your loss...

Married to my hubby & the Army, my Siamese, Jake the Drake and my birdies!
Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2007 :  2:28:25 PM  Show Profile
Oh Shirley, I am so sorry to hear about your little calf. You did everything you could. Thanks for sharing your story and hope you feel better soon.

Hugs,
Maryjane Lee

The Beehive Cottage~
est. 1971
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4739 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4739 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2007 :  09:40:21 AM  Show Profile
What a heartbreak for you Shirley. I'm so sorry this happened. You did all you could for the little calf. Thankfully he is no longer suffering.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

ColdAntler
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Jenna
Sandgate VT
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2007 :  1:38:33 PM  Show Profile  Send ColdAntler an AOL message  Click to see ColdAntler's MSN Messenger address
I'm sorry, really.

http://itsafarwalk.blogspot.com/

http://coldantlerfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic My poor dear little bambi Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page