tiffany01
True Blue Farmgirl

134 Posts

Tiffany
Indiana
USA
134 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2007 :  4:02:45 PM  Show Profile
Who found something yummy at the farmer's market this week and how did you use it to the best of it's potential? I love farmer's markets this time of year and I've been known to road trip to one that sounds unusually special. This week I'm heading to Elkhart, Indiana. They've just opened a HUGE year-round facility and around here, for someone to be brave enough to promote produce year round, they deserve my support!

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2007 :  4:17:54 PM  Show Profile
This was last week but I found some really yummy grape tomatoes at a farmers market and made soem pizzas. I blogged about it. Here is the direct link to the post http://willowtreecreek.wordpress.com/2007/07/28/mmmm-pizza/

Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
BLOG
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2007 :  8:59:52 PM  Show Profile
Well, it's certainly not creative, but I found some great table grapes at my local, and boy-o are they good. I put half in the freezer to take with me as I wait at the bus stop for a cool treat on these 85 degree mornings. They really take the steam away. The other half I've just been eating....Can't go wrong there!

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2007 :  9:41:15 PM  Show Profile
I bought tomatoes and fresh basil for a wonderful salad, and a new kind of zucchini that I hadn't tried before. It was kind of peppery tasting, was striped, long and curved. I also bought a big box of blueberries that I have been eating out of the box and in our oatmeal in the morning. Good week at the market.
Go to Top of Page

tiffany01
True Blue Farmgirl

134 Posts

Tiffany
Indiana
USA
134 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2007 :  03:24:10 AM  Show Profile
Juile, your pizza looks yummy! Homemade pizza crust can be a struggle. Recently we bought some pre-made dough at Trader Joe's and it was great! Cheap and tasted good - too bad our nearest Trader Joe's is two hours away. :( But I'll definitely pick up some more on our next trip.

Two weeks ago my favorite farmer's market find was a reusable grocery bag with original art on it. It says "Grow Your Own Everything". I've become obsessed with buying reusable bags and now have too many than I could ever use at one time. But I love each of them for different reasons and use them all the time!

Anyway, since I didn't plant a garden this year, the farmer's markets are a life saver!
Go to Top of Page

ktknits
True Blue Farmgirl

582 Posts

Kathy
Northwest Indiana
USA
582 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2007 :  04:57:26 AM  Show Profile
Tiffany, when are you going to Elkhart? I've been interested in going there too!

http://ktknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2007 :  07:36:43 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by willowtreecreek

This was last week but I found some really yummy grape tomatoes at a farmers market and made soem pizzas. I blogged about it. Here is the direct link to the post http://willowtreecreek.wordpress.com/2007/07/28/mmmm-pizza/

Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowtreecreek.com
BLOG

Julie, Thanks for the pizza crust recipe. I will try this out! We love homemade pizza, too, and isn't it all about the crust?

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"
Go to Top of Page

tiffany01
True Blue Farmgirl

134 Posts

Tiffany
Indiana
USA
134 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2007 :  4:57:14 PM  Show Profile
Kathy, I'm not sure. I was hoping to go this Saturday but I've got to check my Dad's schedule. He talked about going to an auction together. Feel free to e-mail me and maybe we can set something up. I've been wanting to meet some other Hoosier farmgirls!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2007 :  7:23:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I got 15lbs of Bing Cherries for $12, a box of nectarines for free and the most delicious musk melon for $1.

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2007 :  7:35:39 PM  Show Profile
Wow Alee! I think you win the prize! (If there were one!)

Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowtreecreek.com
BLOG
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2007 :  9:17:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I shared the cherries with Huckleberrywine, her daugher (the sweetest!), and my down stairs neighbors. Now I am just trying to get them all pitted before I freeze them. Oh how I need a cherry pitter! I am going to look for one!

I was disappointed in the necatrines. They don't have much taste so I am not sure what I am going to do with them- and the melon is long gone!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Farmer's Market Finds Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page