DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2005 :  12:15:13 AM  Show Profile
Ok ladies, I would love to have a cornbread recipe and the instructions on how you make it in your cast iron fry pan. It sounds like something that would go great with fall's homemade soup.
I picked up another pan at a garage sale on the weekend for 50 cents. It's a 10" and well seasoned.

Live a good and honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll be able to enjoy it a second time.
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2005 :  08:04:36 AM  Show Profile
My mother cooked with cast iron up until her sudden death recently at age 84 -- she said it was her way of "pumping iron," and she *was* in pretty good shape for her age. It amused her to take "carryovers" of chili, lentil soup, etc. (still hot, in the iron pot, with a glass lid on top) to gatherings of her friends, who marvelled that she could manage to carry such a heavy thing. She thought Tupperware was the work of the devil. But I digress.

I've used cast iron cookware ever since setting up my own post-college home in 1969; in fact, I still use my maiden piece: a 10" skillet. Once upon a time, I had a dutch oven with a handle, as opposed to a bail, which I also have, and love, even though it's a little harder to handle (pardon the pun). Don't know how that got lost, but it did. Probably happened in the 80s, when I went on a bit of a copper/steel binge. Anybody know where to find a replacement? The handled items at Lodge and elsewhere aren't as deep as the true Dutch oven.

Lonestargal, I'm curious about your issue with tomato sauce. Tomato-sauce-based things are what I cook most often in my iron Dutch oven -- you know, spaghetti sauce, chili, stuff like that. My seasoning might be a little less than perfectly smooth in that particular pot, but I live with it. Does tomato sauce eat away at seasoning?

Sometime between now and the dead of winter, let's all share our tips for pot roast or beef stew (with or without dumplings) cooked in a cast iron Dutch oven! There must be lots of wonderful regional/heritage variations amongst us.
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2005 :  2:05:48 PM  Show Profile
Well that's exactly the problem I've had. Everytime I have cooked tomato based things I always have to reseason. Also the last piece that I bought from Lodge (already preseasoned) came with instructions that said to avoid tomato sauces because it can damage the seasoning. I don't know I just tried to avoid tomatoes in my cast iron.
Go to Top of Page

Ahodge
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Anne
334 SW Well, Fort White FL
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2005 :  06:12:50 AM  Show Profile  Send Ahodge a Yahoo! Message
a simple cleaning method for castiron that needs to be reseasoned is put it in the oven during the oven cleaning cycle. Assumming of course you have a self cleaning oven. (If not find someone who does) Sometimes it has to be done twice if it's really grungy. All of the gunk will turn to ash, wipe out and oil with crisco. I do mine overnight and wake up to nice clean pans.and the oven doesn't look bad either. BTW don't use any oven cleaners.
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2005 :  2:44:50 PM  Show Profile
What a find... I popped into GW last night and found an 11 3/4 inch cast iron skillet, (that's really big!) and nicely seasoned, for $4.99. Woohoo! I can hardly lift it, but that's besides the point! Guess I'll get my arm muscles built up, won't I? I tried to weigh it on my scale last night and the battery said "dead"... guess it'll be a mystery until I replace it!

"I am not bound to win, but I am bound to be true. I am not bound to succeed, but I am bound to live up to what light I have." - Abraham Lincoln.... http://farmstyle.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2005 :  3:20:07 PM  Show Profile
Okay,
now I am confused.
I have a very large cast iron three legged "cauldron", I call it.
Can't say that I ever did or didn't have tomatoes in it because it hasn't been used that much. I am making a huge pot of chili in it for my Halloween party and now I am concerned. Will it turn my chili black?? That is what I sort of remember reading somewhere that cast iron will make tomato sauce taste "metallic" or off or turn it a strange dark color.
Anyone have experience with this??

www.feedsackfarmgirls.blogspot.com
"If more of us valued good food, cheer and song above hoarded gold,the world would be a merrier place."
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2005 :  3:24:15 PM  Show Profile
I use mine for beef stew that is baked in the oven all the time and it has a quart jar of tomatoes in the recipe. I have never had black stew or an "off taste" at all. It is a well seasoned dutch oven, so that could make a difference. I think you would be okay with chili if it is well seasoned. I make chili in mine too..but mine isn't very tomatoey.

Jenny in Utah
Put all your eggs in one basket..and then watch that basket!! Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2005 :  8:16:42 PM  Show Profile
Dear Blue Egg -I made and transported chili several weeks ago in mine and it was fine. We even stuck it into the edge of the fire to re-heat and there wasn't any strange coloring or taste that I can recall. I think well seasoned must be the trick, because it was a breeze to clean since there wasn't anything left!

Jane- I have a large round griddle pan 14", a tiny baby pan about 6", a 12" deep frying pan and a 10" frying pan. Not sure about values, but twice recently at flea markets I've seen the round griddle pan for 50.00! I love the Griswold pans they just feel good in your hands!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2005 :  8:30:33 PM  Show Profile
I just spent the day reseasoning all my cast iron (and I have a lot)-it literally took me all day and my house smelled horrible, but now my pans are really clean and really seasoned. My brother who is staying with us had used soap on several of my pans which as ya'll know is not good. So I figured if I have to redo a couple of them I might as well do them all--it's not going to hurt them. My bread just fell out of my pan so easy earlier so I know they're seasoned perfectly!!! Man I love cast iron, I don't know why anyone wouldn't want to use them--like my mom!!!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2005 :  10:29:24 PM  Show Profile
my mom gave me all she had years ago too..she only uses teflon coated pans and lightweight stuff at that. Just not the same!!! I LOVE my cast iron stuff!

Jenny in Utah
Put all your eggs in one basket..and then watch that basket!! Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2005 :  12:05:09 PM  Show Profile
I know what you mean Jenny, it's not the same. I still have one skillet and then 3 sauce pans but everything else is cast iron. There is nothing like it!!!
Go to Top of Page

JO AND AL
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Jocelyn
parrsboro nova scotia
Canada
235 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2005 :  09:08:26 AM  Show Profile
hi i did the season thing, once i learned how to on here! thanks for the info! i find they are sticky?? wonder if i did it right!? one of the fry pans seem to cook good now, but the others are sticking a bit. they do seem to make the food tast better,eh? is there a reason , why they are sticky to the touch after the seasoning? is that normal? thanks jo~

love is all you need
Go to Top of Page

JO AND AL
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Jocelyn
parrsboro nova scotia
Canada
235 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2005 :  2:48:19 PM  Show Profile
well girls, i finally got the hang of the seasoning of cast. won't cook in anything else now i had these pans all these yrs. and didn't know nothen, thanks for all the help and tips, on how to,sure is snowing out here tonight, coooooooold too,time for a hot chocolate eh? xoxox> jo~

love is all you need
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2006 :  09:41:33 AM  Show Profile
I thought I ask about a waffle iron
I've been wanting a waffle iron, but don't really want another electrical gadget around to find somewhere to store.
I found this one of cast iron, has anybody used one and do you think they work well.
http://www.wisementrading.com/outdoorcooking/castiron.htm
Please give me your 2 cents!
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2006 :  10:03:17 AM  Show Profile
i had one a few years before moving to the cabins .. but sold it. i think i want another 'stove top' antique cast iron waffle pan .. but i'm wondering about 'cleaning out' those little grooves! i'd love some advice of your experience too! xo

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

berries
True Blue Farmgirl

475 Posts

gloria g
Florida
USA
475 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2006 :  12:42:23 PM  Show Profile
Joy, I'm with the oldtimers! I too love cast iron. If you could find an old piece, or find one at an auction, and it has built up grim on it, or sticks. Put it in a really hot fire and burn it all off. Let it cool, wash with water only.... no soaps, no steel wool, no detergents, just water, then go through the seasoning process, and yes my mom always used bacon grease. Now, some people use vegetable oil, but I don't even eat meat, and cook very little bacon. Some for my husband for a b/l/t sandwich. I save the bacon drippings in a jar in the frig. Then I wipe it into the iron with a towel, sides, bottom and bake for about 2 hours at 200 degrees. Wipe it out, and season and cook again. It sounds like alot of work, but will be well worth it.

Let us know how it goes!

gloria g. Richards, TX

strawberry fields forever and ever!
Go to Top of Page

JO AND AL
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Jocelyn
parrsboro nova scotia
Canada
235 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2010 :  07:35:03 AM  Show Profile
kay did you ever hear from frany meshore? i can't seem to find her on here farm girl
at heart she had on her profile i think, would lo0ve to hear from her/ thanks jo! how is every one anyhow? i have a new puppy ou probably saw him on face book lol! tlty drop me aline sometime k love jo

i thought love was all you needed? courage is needed too!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Cast Iron cooking Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page