therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2005 :  07:32:57 AM  Show Profile
Most antique stores will charge ten prices for cast iron. Your best bet is to go to a garage or estate sale. I got my 10 inch skillet for $12 at a garage sale.

Kay - Living in Beautiful Washington State

"You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face."
--Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2005 :  08:16:10 AM  Show Profile
Or Goodwill, Salvation Army, St. Vincent de Paul, etc....

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2005 :  08:16:36 AM  Show Profile
My Mom had a cast iron griddle years ago, which was the only one she ever used. I had one some time ago, and got rid of it. Now I just bought a cast iron skillet and have to season it, looking forward to baking some cornbread in it!

Cecelia

ce's farm

"Curiosity is one of the forms of feminine bravery" Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

Fulminous
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

Deb
Maine
40 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2005 :  08:39:35 AM  Show Profile
Another cool way to clean a dutch oven in the backcountry is to just flip it over into a built up fire and burn all the stuff out (that is if you had a huge burnt-on catastrophe!) Just make sure you have something to cure it with WHEN IT COOLS (very important, lol).
Go to Top of Page

Thistlewoodmanor
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Deb
Geneva IA
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2005 :  1:26:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Thistlewoodmanor a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by JoyIowa

Deb,
I've got to know: How does one lose an 18" cast iron pan in a divorce settlement?

Well, to make a loooong story short....I moved very suddenly with the help of 3 sheriff's deputies and 16 friends with pickups.....I wasn't even packed when they showed up. The pan must have gotten left in the cupboard and I was never able to go back to the house and get things that were left. A small price to pay for peace of mind.

As to the pots and pans: My hubby did take them out and burn them off in the fire, took him a whole day! He then scrubbed the rust off of them with a wire brush and steel wool. Next, I covered them with shortening and put them in the oven to heat, then let them cool. They are absolutely beautiful! I can't wait to use them!

As to how things are going....about the same. He has good days and bad and I've been making money here and there but haven't found the right job yet. We've got our bills paid, but not having any extra is getting old!

Edited by - Thistlewoodmanor on Jul 30 2005 1:30:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2005 :  1:58:30 PM  Show Profile
I am so happy you got your pan seasoned and ready to use!!
I hope things get easier for ya..will sure keep you in my prayers!!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2005 :  4:03:31 PM  Show Profile
My daughter has been interested in getting some cast iron pans as one of her friends uses them daily and swears by them... so I've been on the lookout. Today I just happened to stop by St. Vincent de Paul, (there was parking available - unusual), AND everything was half price today!! And there they were. A large and a medium one. She will be happy, and all for a grand total $2.75!!!

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Go to Top of Page

granola girl
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Gina
Valrico Florida
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2005 :  06:57:16 AM  Show Profile
Hi!

If you want to use that pan that is sitting on a shelf, here is what you do...wash, rinse and dry it. Then coat it with a thin layer of Crsico shortening. Use a paper towel to do this. Lay it on a baking sheet and put it in a preheated 350 oven. Leave it in for 1 hour and let it cool down in the oven. When you take it out, it will be gleaming shiny. It is now seasoned. Don't ever put any tomato sauce in it, as the acids will take your seasoning away. Use it for baking cornbread, upside down cakes or frying chicken. To clean it, simply use salt and a paper towel to clean it and store away.

I just found an old Wagner skillet in a garage sale for $1.00 and will be making cornbread in it for supper tonight!! Hope this helps you out and you are on your way to cooking in that pan again!!

Edited by - granola girl on Jul 31 2005 07:11:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

wildshannon
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

shannon
chickaloon alaska
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2005 :  09:12:34 AM  Show Profile
Somewhere along the way I heard that you should buy cast iron made only in the US> maybe something bad in other country's metals? so I always pass on purchasing pans I find at 2nd hand stores with Taiwan or China on the bottom. I just picked up a really nice seasoned 8 inch skillet for $1.50 at the Salvation Army this week to add to my collection. We're trying to completely cook on cast iron since most of the info on Teflon is looking really bad for us health wise.
Go to Top of Page

Nicol
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Nicol

200 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2005 :  08:22:27 AM  Show Profile
I'll have to check Goodwill for more pans. I'd love to add to my collection. It would be fun to get one of the cornbread stick pans.
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2005 :  11:04:05 AM  Show Profile
Shannon, I'm not sure if there is something in the (foreign) metals, or if it's more of a "quality" thing. I have one from China (I think) that is not nearly as smooth and "pit-free" as the US made ones.It never has seemed to properly season either. If you're going to spend the money, you may as well go for the better quality that you can pass on to your grandkids!If we're shopping at Goodwill, can't be too choosey. I agree with you about teflon :(
Sharon
Go to Top of Page

QuiltingQueen
True Blue Farmgirl

104 Posts

Jane
La Porte Indiana
USA
104 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2005 :  06:09:27 AM  Show Profile
After reading all of the posts about cast iron cooking and about your enthusiasm for cooking with it, I bid on a #8 Griswold cast iron frying pan on e-bay and got it. It is in great condition and I've been using it for the last few days. It's wonderful! I've used it for eggs, pancakes, bacon, stir-fry...I'm enjoying it so much! I know I'll use it even more when we're cooking indoors this winter (we tend to grill a lot during the summer). And, thanks to all of you, I know how to cook in it and clean it properly! If I use it to make cornbread, should I adjust the oven temperature and cooking time?

Jane

Love begins at home, and it is not how much we do... but how much love we put in that action. ~Mother Teresa
Go to Top of Page

Nicol
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Nicol

200 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2005 :  07:46:20 AM  Show Profile
Jane: Congrats on your new pan! As far as temp I would think about 425 is right. You heat up the pan, put in the grease (butter or whatever you use) then after butter melts put in the batter. Maybe cook about 20-25 minutes. Make sure you check it.
Go to Top of Page

QuiltingQueen
True Blue Farmgirl

104 Posts

Jane
La Porte Indiana
USA
104 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2005 :  8:10:46 PM  Show Profile
Nicol,
Thanks! I'm new at this, and I know I wouldn't have thought to heat the pan and grease it while warm before adding the batter. I'm used to greasing cold metal or glass pans. I think you just saved me from a batch of stuck-on cornbread! I sure appreciate your help!

Jane

"Love begins at home, and it is not how much we do... but how much love we put in that action." ~ Mother Teresa
Go to Top of Page

100 Aker Woods
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

2 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2005 :  9:20:57 PM  Show Profile
Lucinda,

Try "Le Creuset" Cookware. Pans are handcrafted in France of cast iron, which absorbs heat slowly and spreads it steadily.

The cast iron is coated with porcelain enamel, which requires no seasoning and cleans easily.

And they are Dishwasher safe.

I just love all of mine and my husband swears that everything I cook or bake in them tastes better.
Go to Top of Page

shepherdess
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Robin
Eatonville Washington
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2005 :  10:12:22 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Nicol

I'll have to check Goodwill for more pans. I'd love to add to my collection. It would be fun to get one of the cornbread stick pans.

Farm Girl from Western Washington
" From sheep to handspun "
Go to Top of Page

shepherdess
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Robin
Eatonville Washington
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2005 :  10:15:15 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Nicol

Hi Nicol,
I haven't posted for a while , I have been out of town but I cook with cast iron all the time and I have extra pieces . I have a cornbread pan I want to sell If you are interested email me privately.

Farm Girl from Western Washington
" From sheep to handspun "
Go to Top of Page

lareyna
True Blue Farmgirl

242 Posts

Arlene
Valley Ford Ca
USA
242 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  1:50:04 PM  Show Profile
Have to agrre with you all, I love my cast iron, favorite recipe is pineapple upside down cake in my big skillet, I melt butter right in the pan add brown sugar then pineapple rings with cherries in middle, then just pour any old yellow cake on top, and bake in skillet,,,,nothing better,,,yum
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  1:52:13 PM  Show Profile
There is a good article in the recent issue of Backwoods Home (I think that's the title) on seasoning cast iron.

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  2:47:52 PM  Show Profile
Here's a question:

I saw a cast iron dutch oven at a thrift store yesterday. It had 3 peg legs on it, a cover, and a metal loop handle. It looked new, but I did not buy it ($11) because I figured with that configuration is was designed specifically for campfires. Did I make a correct assumption?

Edited by - Clare on Aug 18 2005 2:49:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  3:44:42 PM  Show Profile
I use mine in the oven sometimes too..but you have to make sure the little legs go into the rack just right in the oven. Mine with the legs is so big I don't use it as often..but I do in th winter when I have a crowd for beans or stew..it works great.

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  11:30:03 PM  Show Profile
Quilting Queen Jane_ Good for you! I was going to ask if anyone had Griswold pans, they are my favorites. I hope you got a good buy, they are creeping higher and higher all the time!

I think the American pans just have a smoother texture than the imported, the rougher the surface the easier the sticking.

Clare and Jenny- As long as you don't have heating elements in the floor of your oven, take the racks out! Atleast the bottom one and you can use the footed dutch oven with no problem.If the pan was in good shape , with the lid $11.00 was a good buy, new they are 40.00+.

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

QuiltingQueen
True Blue Farmgirl

104 Posts

Jane
La Porte Indiana
USA
104 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2005 :  07:29:27 AM  Show Profile
Bramble,
I got a great buy, and it is in beautiful condition. It is very smooth and I just love cooking in it. Found it's great for hash browns. The #8 is a really nice size. How many Griswolds do you have? Are some sizes or markings more collectible than others? I just bought mine for cooking, but I was wondering if there are pieces with higher value?

Jane

"Love begins at home, and it is not how much we do... but how much love we put in that action." ~ Mother Teresa
Go to Top of Page

BumbleBee
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

BB

USA
6 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2005 :  8:55:20 PM  Show Profile
Clare's right, it's a portable "camp stove". Flanged lid for hot coals inverts for use as griddle. Intergral legs on oven for campfire and fireplace cooking.

"Follow your Bliss while harming none. Remember all animals are our brothers and sisters too"
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2005 :  11:44:28 PM  Show Profile
I got an adorable #5 Wagner skillet at a yard sale a couple weeks ago..awfully small for my family ...but cute as can be and will get used sometimes I am sure.
I DO have the heating elements at the bottom of my oven..so I have to use a rack..dang it! That would be nice to not use one withe the dutch oven.

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Cast Iron cooking Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page