Linda K. Miller
Farmgirl in Training

43 Posts

Linda
Dunnville Kentucky
USA
43 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2007 :  10:09:07 AM  Show Profile
I need some help here! While getting ready to wash our horses Mr. Miller saw a wasp nest at the low back wall of the carriage house. It was small and he thought he would just knock it off and sweep it out the opening at the bottom of the wall. Well, he did!! and out came these black flying warriors in my direction!! I tried to back quickly up but didn't want to step on any of the four kittens or two pups at my feet or get hit by Mr. M. who was trying to keep these warriors away from me with his hat so just as I heard the warriors buzzing "get the wife" the leader grabbed my gloved hand and stung me twice on the same finger!!!It hurt soooo bad, I was trying to pull the glove from my hand and didn't know weather to cry or pee my pants from the pain. This is a hurt that I in my 50 years have never experienced before. Then Mr. M tells me he is soo sorry and that he shouldn't of knocked it off and swatting at the warriors with his hat was the wrong thing to do and he is sorry again and if I want to go to the porch that's alright, he has been stung before and knows how bad it hurts and he is sooo sorry my finger is swelling and has turned bright red with a blood hole showing. So if any of you farm girls have a remedy for this type of attack please tell me

Justmama from Amish Kentucky

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2007 :  10:38:56 AM  Show Profile
Maybe putting your finger in a bowl of vinegar? Did it stop hurting yet?
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Love-in-a-Mist
True Blue Farmgirl

367 Posts

Shannon
Independence Oregon
USA
367 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2007 :  10:44:12 AM  Show Profile
I don't know anything, but I'm so sorry I hate being stung!

http://diaryofafarmerswife.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2007 :  11:17:08 AM  Show Profile
I've only been stung twice...once not such a big deal and once on the wrist that felt like hot lead and ached clear to the elbow. Wow, I had no idea that those things could hurt so bad! I've heard that massaging a paste of baking soda into the sting helps to neutralize the acidity of the wasp venom. Frankly, I would have preferred a shot of morphine, but you might give the baking soda a try. :)
Di
Go to Top of Page

cabinmoose
True Blue Farmgirl

218 Posts

Lorna
Forest Hill MD
USA
218 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2007 :  11:44:24 AM  Show Profile  Send cabinmoose an AOL message  Send cabinmoose a Yahoo! Message
Sounds like Bold Faced Hornets. They are very nasty and they are exactly as you called them Warriors. Toothpaste also pulls the venom....if the BS don't work

Feel better,

Lorna
Forest Hill, MD

“I laugh, I love, I hope, I try, I hurt, I need, I fear, I cry.
And I know you do the same things too, So we're really
not that different, me and you.” ~Colin Raye
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4195 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4195 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2007 :  2:27:03 PM  Show Profile
As soon as you get stung, make some mud, and put on the stung area. spit works in a hurry. I know it hurts to get stung! Michele
Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2007 :  5:18:11 PM  Show Profile
Hey girl,
Sounds like a war to me! My husband is a telephone technician and he has to deal with those critters every day. He is rarely stung- his advice for next time is; remain perfectly still(yeah right) and once they initially swarm and buzz they stop the attack. He has to open pedastals( big boxes with lots of phone wires) and says there are sometimes hundreds of them that literally fall out and he just sits and waits till they fly off.
I'm not sure I could do it- but one of you brave souls may try it and let us know how it works for you!
Autumn

Isaiah 40:31
But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Go to Top of Page

Luzy
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Luanne
Pueblo Colorado
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2007 :  5:35:36 PM  Show Profile
Ohhhh, I'm so sorry for you! I was walking barefooted in my kitchen and I stepped on a yellow jacket and he stung me between my toes, at 4:30 AM. This was 22 years ago and I still remember that horrid intense pain that traveled straight up my leg! I feel for ya!!! Have you tried that spray Solarcain for sunburns? I put that on initially, but soon followed up with a baking soda paste. Sure hope you are feeling better soon. Keep us posted on how you're doing. Hugs, Lu

--
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.
http://luzy.etsy.com- My etsy store!
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2007 :  6:02:50 PM  Show Profile
Linda,
OWWWIIIEEEE, baking soda paste helps. Got stung by a dern yellow jacket 2 weeks ago. Am allergic and did okay with Benydryl.
Autumn, I don't think I could just stand still..eeekkksssss
Carol Sue

Enjoying life.
Go to Top of Page

Linda K. Miller
Farmgirl in Training

43 Posts

Linda
Dunnville Kentucky
USA
43 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2007 :  8:40:32 PM  Show Profile
Big Thank You!!! for all your remedies and help!! Lorna you provided me with the best medicine I think...laughter. As I read your remedy for toothpaste if the BS didn't work I kept re-reading it because I couldn't figure out the BS. Maybe the sting affected my brain...I finally got it BS means Baking Soda (wont say what I thought it was). I laughed so much thank you, thank you. I hope for the morphine next time Di, but most of all I do not want a next time. Sorry Autumn, it was Mr. M who got me into this so I am not brave enough to take your husbands "stand still" advise, but I am going to pray for him facing these warriors everyday. I am putting a "Large Bag" of BS in the carriage house for future emergencies. Michele I am going to practice my spitting. My finger is still red, swollen and hurts to bend. I am so sorry to all of you who have experienced this terrible kind of attack. Carol Sue please take care especially since you are allergic. All of you farm girls are the BEST!!!

Justmama from Amish Kentucky
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2007 :  9:23:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Linda- I am so sorry that you got hurt! I hate those little buggers! Just ask Carol Sue! When she, Teresa, and I went berry picking we were all playing "avoid the wasps" and I was sincerly wishing for a bee keeper's smoker thingy!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Ouch!! & Hurt!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page