Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Does anyone do counted cross stitch??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Does anyone do counted cross stitch?? Next Topic
Page: of 2

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2007 :  11:56:01 AM  Show Profile
I believe Alma Lynne is not in business, but she changed her products over the years. She was one of those who survived longer by reinventing herself and painting stationery, and paper products, small fabric dolls and stuffed animals, etc. She got into the gift area. She was a great artist. When I search for her products, I see that they are all being sold through distributors as if her inventory was bought out.

That is neat that you just bought one of her fabric designs...What is it of? There are still a lot of designs out there that she produced.

Also, it may have been Sandra Sullivan that owned Schoolhouse Designs, and Eileen Bennett had another company name......the memory is starting to go!

Psalm 51: 10-13

Edited by - jpbluesky on Aug 09 2007 12:02:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2007 :  12:07:52 PM  Show Profile
It's by the yard panels with sewing/quilting women (who look like her, fancy that)with sewing suppies and sayings like "Need has nothing to do with it". I'm using the panels for big pockets for Snackeesacks for Christmas presents. I quilt the block and add embellishments like beads and it looks great. Thanks for the info on Alma Lynne.

Farmgirl hug,
Patricia

check out my etsy site http://ThePlayfulFarmgirl.etsy.com

Take me home, country roads
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2007 :  1:40:27 PM  Show Profile
Patricia - you are so talented! When I think of all you have contributed to different areas of this borad, it amazes me!

Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2007 :  2:15:25 PM  Show Profile
Aw shucks, ma'am...

Farmgirl hug,
Patricia

Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2007 :  2:16:17 PM  Show Profile
I absolutely LOVE x-stitch.

My current projects are on my blog. I am working on Marjolein Bastin's Four Seasons. I love that design. I love almost all of her designs.

For keeping track on my chart I have found that if I make a photo-copy and then fold it so I can only see about a 4"X4" square I can keep track much better. I have a hair clip that holds it right on my hoop.(I'll try and take a picture and post on my blog) It is the best method so far, and I have tried lots. I think having such a smaller area, your eye's don't have to scan so much.

My favorite designs are Marjolein Bastin and Prairie Schooler

~~Bridge's Blog~~

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2007 :  9:07:20 PM  Show Profile
I too am an avid x-stitcher, but as my "reading" vision worsens I do less & less x-stitch. Currently I have 1 project in stretcher bars, It's a Christmas Tree embellished with seed beads. love it, but I still have a ways to go to finish it.
I usually keep small projects in zip lock baggies so I can take one with me when I have a plane ride/traveling etc. planned. I even take one with me to doctors office when I accompany my DH to his appointments.
My trick is to photo copy & enlarge the pattren and I too use a pink or yellow hi-liter pen to mark off the stitches as I do them. Then I can toss out the duplicate pattren while my origional one is good to use another time.
"Needle work keeps you in stitches" lol!

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
www.katmom4.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Carrie W
Farmgirl Legend/Chapter Guru

437 Posts

Saratoga Springs New York
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2007 :  08:56:21 AM  Show Profile
I did a large cross stitch project, started several years ago when my 20 year old was just born. I finished the third piece in the series ( a three part amish series with quilts being hung, visitors coming to the farm with a basket and chickens loitering, and another with fields and harvesters...it was from Country Cross Stitch, 1987) when my fifth child came along 10 years later. Since then it has been in the fireproof safe waiting to be framed. Since the framing was going to be costly I had never done it. This past Christmas, without my knowledge, my hubby built an oak frame, had a framer friend add glass and stretch and mat it, then gave it to me on Christmas!!! My kids still like to tell everyone how daddy made mommmy cry on Christmas! It was such a surprise! It proudly hangs over my piano in the dining room.

I haven't done much x-stitching lately because I'm making a quilt for my first niece (yippee!) and just learned to make yoyo's (oh, no!). But this forum has made me want to pull it out again. We'll see!

Blessings!
carrie

Tis better to weep at joy than to joy at weeping--Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2007 :  11:59:17 AM  Show Profile
How wonderful, Carrie! Your hubby is so thoughtful - guys can be that way sometimes! What a great gift for you. Any photos?

Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2007 :  12:01:56 PM  Show Profile
What a remarkable gift! You have a great husband! I'm sure a lot of farmgirls would like to trade, lol. I'd like to see a photo, too.

Farmgirl hug,
Patricia

Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2007 :  3:44:28 PM  Show Profile
This appears to be the perfect topic for offering a few things. First, the premier issue of Cross Quick magazine. From 1988 in perfect condition. I have no idea if it's still published, but I know I like to have the premiere issues of magazines that interest me. Second and third, two counted stich sampler charts from Ewe and Eye and Friends in Denver, Kam Slagel and Barbara Stark. One is a primitive house, the other a primitive hare, with two little special buttons in the package. Otherwise, they are just the chart and colors used, with a color photo of the finished sampler on the package front. Who ever might like to have any or all, send me your choice privately. If there's more than one "taker", I'll draw names and get them mailed as soon as I have your mailing info.
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

The Handmaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Kim
Shreveport Louisiana
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2007 :  8:25:38 PM  Show Profile
OH MY GOODNESS! Jeannie, my sister and I had a needlepoint and counted cross stitch shop called In Stitches in the 70's and early 80's and I so remember the company you worked for. I wonder if I met you at market all those years ago? We went to market in Dallas, Atlanta and ....can't remember. I love counted cross stitch! When my four children were growing up it's what I did everyday at nap time. I have lots of sampler charts if any one is interested. I'll have to go hunt for them to give you the co. names...oh how i miss my memory recall! I do remember the Scarlet Letter, tho. Does anyone know the Co. that designed 4 or 5 Christmas stockings that told the whole Christmas story from the Bible? I did all of ours in needlepoint, but I would love to do a set of those. Most of the shops here have closed and knitting seems to have taken the spotlight once again. Glad to hear it's still alive and well in the hearts of all of you!! Thanks for starting this thread Winona!

"Faith shall finish all that Hope begins."

joan walsh anglund
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2007 :  12:11:09 PM  Show Profile
Kim - we went to shows in Atlanta at least twice a year, and to Dallas once. We went to Winston-Salem and Charlotte NC, Boston, California (Annaheim and San Francisco), Pennsylvania, Chicago & Des Moines. We would sometimes do quilt shows, too, as we had a lot of crossover designs of quilts, etc. I bet I have met you, and your shop name sounds so familiar! We always had a double booth at shows. It took us four hours to put up and two hours to break down - hard work, but fun once we got set up and saw everyone else's booths. Stitching was hot in those days!! :) For me, it still is.

Go to Top of Page

blazesch1
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Janice
AMARILLO TX
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2007 :  12:32:52 PM  Show Profile
Hi , just jumping in on here , but does anyone do the Blackbird Designs ? I am working on one right now !
I love them !
droversgirl
Go to Top of Page

Carrie W

437 Posts

USA
437 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2007 :  08:46:21 AM  Show Profile

Finally! I have photos to share of my Amish x stitch. I've had quite a time getting them ready to post.

Carrie

totallykadeshfarm.blogspot.com

Tis better to weep at joy than to joy at weeping--Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing
Go to Top of Page

Carrie W

437 Posts

USA
437 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2007 :  08:47:28 AM  Show Profile
Wow, they are huge!!! How do I resize them??

Carrie

totallykadeshfarm.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

The Handmaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Kim
Shreveport Louisiana
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2007 :  12:30:20 PM  Show Profile
Carrie - It's beautiful! I liked it big- I can see it better.
What an peaceful scene! Reminds me of a Currier & Ives print. How long did it take you to stitch it? It really is like painting with thread but not as messy.
Jeannie - Yes, the other market was Charlotte, NC. My favorite because I loved that part of the country. My- all of that was B.C. (before children) and a very ong time ago. YIKES! almost 30 years!

"Faith shall finish all that Hope begins."

joan walsh anglund
Go to Top of Page

Justimagine
Farmgirl in Training

47 Posts

Kate
TX
USA
47 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2007 :  3:44:12 PM  Show Profile
Ohhh, Carrie...those are gorgeous! I love to crosstitch, too, but I tend to start one and then another one before I finish the first one and then end up with 4 or 5 designs going and don't finish them. I have finished several, though...but I buy a lot more patterns than I actually make...lol I'm working on one right now that I have in an Alma Lynn book I've had for 15 years... maybe I'll actually finish this one! Kate~

"...out of the heart flow the wellsprings of life"
Proverbs 4:23
See what's springing up from Kate's heart today at www.Kate-Wells.com
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2007 :  4:09:24 PM  Show Profile
Carrie, what equisite work! Such a beautiful scene, too! Well done!

Farmgirl hug,
Patricia

Go to Top of Page

Carrie W

437 Posts

USA
437 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2007 :  11:35:29 AM  Show Profile
Kate-

We are of the same cloth! I am a starter then I get too many things going and don't finish all that I start! My solution...several years ago when I realized the amount of "started" projects I had going I made a deal with myself....I couldn't buy any new projects until I finished or passed on the "started" ones I already had! It was tough at first but I did it...I finished some quilts, some x stitch pieces, some clothes I'd cut out but not sewn. I actually found lots to do and I stayed out of the craft stores so as not to tempt myself. I do so much better now and actually finished projects to show for it!!!

This piece took many hours. It was 10 years from start to finish because I had five children in the midst of it all. It kept getting put aside. But I home school (don't work outside) and so I can pick it up throughout the day and work on it when I am working with the kids. It's is so exciting to me to see a piece come together.

So....discipline yourself, restrict the new projects, and you GO GIRL!!

Till later-
Carrie

www.totallykadeshfarm.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2007 :  11:56:34 AM  Show Profile
My husband (the scientist) figured out a few years ago that by the time I finished all the cross stitch projects I had, I'd be 150 years old. "So what's your point?" said I. Don't feel bad about buying charts, even if you never get to them. They are works of art. People collect all kinds of things just because they like to look at them and enjoy owning them. Beer bottle caps? Please! Why should we feel guilty for doing the same?

Farmgirl hug,
Patricia

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2007 :  4:26:27 PM  Show Profile
Someday - I am absolutely convinced - our cross-stitch art, which is shown perfectly above in the photos, will be prized like the treasures we see on Antiques Roadshow! Someone will have one worth $100,000! They are so precious, and no one really knows it yet!

Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2007 :  07:33:19 AM  Show Profile
I love to do all types of embroidery and usually have more than one project going. And I agree, it is very relaxing. When I get bored with one, I lay it down, work on another for a while, and then go back to the other. Counted cross-stitch can be very hard on the eyes, so I usually try to do a different type of embroidery to rest them. I recently purchased a queen-size quilt top and pillow shams with an iris bouquet. It is supposed to be cross-stitch, but I would like to embroidery it in a different style. Any stitch suggestions, other than a satin stitch?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Does anyone do counted cross stitch?? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page