Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Does anyone do counted cross stitch??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Does anyone do counted cross stitch?? Next Topic
Page: of 2

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2007 :  8:10:00 PM  Show Profile
I'm working on a 'welcome' sign right now. I have found some sites that I can download free patterns. When I cross stitch, I almost feel like I'm painting with thread. Very relaxing for me...till I get 'off' in my count!! Then i get uptight, having to redo a section! But still, I love to do X stitch!.

Winona

Don't sweat the small stuff...

http://goneridingagain.bravehost.com

Cheryl
True Blue Farmgirl

919 Posts

Cheryl
Magalia CA
USA
919 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2007 :  8:16:34 PM  Show Profile
Hi Winona, I like to cross stitch but it has been awhile. I find it very relaxing also.

Cheryl :)
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9372 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9372 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2007 :  04:36:01 AM  Show Profile
Winona,
Have you ever heard of EMS cross-stitch forum? She has some nice free patterns to download. Here is the link to that site.
http://www.maurer-stroh.com/ems_designline.html
I don't do as much counted as I used to. It is hard for me to see the holes and I have to have the patterns enlarged.
happy stitching!
Denise

"The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof and all that dwell therein."

www.torismimi.blogspot.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Aug 05 2007 04:39:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2007 :  08:16:30 AM  Show Profile
I love cross stitch. Haven't done any since February when I was in the hospital after having my son. I have some things I want to get done for Christmas, though.
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2007 :  12:21:21 PM  Show Profile
I love cross stitch, too. Have some projects that I've been working on for years! I like John Clayton designs (English), also Mirabella and some French ones I get from a store in Las Vegas. If you want, I'll give you the web addy. They have things from all over the world! such different designs!

Farmgirl hug,
Patricia

check out my etsy site http://ThePlayfulFarmgirl.etsy.com

Take me home, country roads
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2007 :  12:24:08 PM  Show Profile
I used to love to do counted cross stich, but for some reason, now my eyes won't track as well or something. I can't cross reference the charts to the canvas anymore. Oh, the joys of getting older!
Go to Top of Page

Runbikegrrl
True Blue Farmgirl

250 Posts

MaryAnn
Waterbury Ctr VT
USA
250 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2007 :  3:39:40 PM  Show Profile
I do more embroidery then cross stich, but I am working on a tea towel now for a friends birthday (or should be working on it that is!)....it's maddening really for someone with such a free spirt as me to try and center a cross stitch and keep track of it all!

"So many interests so little time!"

http://lovelifelivegrrl.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2007 :  7:20:08 PM  Show Profile
I love it too..I always get at least one project done a year...usually at Christmas..I love to do little counted cross stitch bookmarks when I get a chance too. I do alot more embroidery for sure, but I like the beauty of the counted when the project is done for sure. I espeically like working on linen.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

cabinmoose
True Blue Farmgirl

218 Posts

Lorna
Forest Hill MD
USA
218 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2007 :  7:36:36 PM  Show Profile  Send cabinmoose an AOL message  Send cabinmoose a Yahoo! Message
I too love to do counted cross stitch. I have not done anything in a while! A long while....I gotta finish my rug and quilt blocks before I start anything though.

Hugs

Lorna
Forest Hill, MD

“I laugh, I love, I hope, I try, I hurt, I need, I fear, I cry.
And I know you do the same things too, So we're really
not that different, me and you.” ~Colin Raye
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2007 :  07:20:27 AM  Show Profile
goneriding - I agree, cross-stitch is painting with thread. I was a cross-stitch designer for 15 years, and we published over 100 booklets. DMC alone had over 400 colors at that time, and probably more now. The shading and loveliness that can be accomplished by charting a design is so much fun to do as a job, and I absolutely loved it. Our company always did very realistic designs, and we even adapted Rockwell and Hummel designs. I always said I felt like I was painting, but without the mess!

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2007 :  08:39:28 AM  Show Profile
Now you guys make me want to try it again. I used to love it - does anyone have any suggestions for the tracking problem I described above?
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2007 :  10:45:58 AM  Show Profile
Sherri, try making a grid on your canvas either with thread or "vanishing" pen. You might even put numbers on the grid and on the pattern in highlighter so you can see thru it.

Farmgirl hug,
Patricia
Patricia

Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2007 :  10:49:29 AM  Show Profile
JP, that sounds like a dream job! Can you tell us what it was like to chart a design? How do you go about it? How do you choose colors? I'm fascinated. Thanks!

Farmgirl hug,
Patricia

Go to Top of Page

ktknits
True Blue Farmgirl

582 Posts

Kathy
Northwest Indiana
USA
582 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2007 :  11:01:00 AM  Show Profile
I have lots of cross stitch patterns and magazines from the late 70's on. I'd be glad to send some patterns your way if you e-mail me to let me know what type of patterns you like and your address. I truly have way more than I could ever stitch in one (or multiple) lifetimes!

http://ktknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2007 :  11:06:06 AM  Show Profile
I also loved to do this, but then life got so busy. My favorite is a lifelike jaguar. It looks like a photograph until you get up close and see the stitching. Are you all going to post some photos of your favorite piece?

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2007 :  3:53:18 PM  Show Profile
I'd like to post but I've given most of them away and the ones I have aren't done! SIGH. I'd love to see everybody else's, though.

Farmgirlhug,
Patricia

Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2007 :  4:08:09 PM  Show Profile
Love it! Been stitching for thirty years. I have three projects going as we speak.

Sherone

www.taylorscountrystore.etsy.com

http://sheronesgarden.tripod.com/
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2007 :  4:57:21 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Cross stitch is my favorite sewing hobby. The tedious hand work really relaxes me ( I am a Virgo...forgive me!!) I gave away most that I have done but just started work on a Footprints one. I will post it when I get some more done. With DS in daycare and some time before school starts, I should get a good chunk done.

Cheers,

Heather
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2007 :  11:31:05 AM  Show Profile
Patricia asked how someone goes about creating a cross-stitch design. When I first began, it was all by hand, then it became a computer software program, and went much quicker. After our designs were on paper, we would send them out to a group of sticthers we had and they would stitch our initial models for us at a penny a stitch!

First of all we sketched or painted, or got permission to use a piece of art by the artist. We had several artists that we contracted with who would send us their paintings occasionally for book ideas. We used 10 by 10 grid paper that was translucent. We began by choosing floss colors for the art we were going to chart. Then we would choose a symbol for each color, making the deeper colors have heavier symbols. We would then lay the grid paper over a painting or sketch and begin putting symbols on the grid where they matched the artwork beneath. That is a simple way of explaining the first steps of charting....size of the chart and fabric all played a role in choices too. When we stitched the design for the first time from our initial charts, we would then see corrections that needed to be made, and do all those before the charts/books went to the printers. When the software came along, we could see what a piece would look like stitched before a needle ever touched fabric! This helped a lot with fine tuning. Outlining was always added to the chart last, and we tried to keep that minimal. Outlining is a pain! Real stitching art is to do a design that needs hardly any outlining.

I know I have given you too much info, but as you can see, I loved doing that work!

Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2007 :  12:22:07 PM  Show Profile
JP, OH, no never too much info. I'm fascinated. Now, THERE is a great job. Thanks so much for the info. Who are your favorite designers or designs?

Farmgirl hug,
Patricia

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2007 :  07:36:49 AM  Show Profile
It was a great job - my favorite job thus far in my life next to being a stay at home mom and grandma! My favorite designers were Mirabella and all her angel designs (very difficult to do, though), Danish designs (which are very pure - often florals with no outlining at all), and reproduction sampler designs. I also liked a designer who called her business Schoolhouse Designs. Her designs were primitive in nature. Many of the designers I knew have closed their businesses. They were small and personally run, but companies like Leisure Arts came in like barnstormers and took over the market. They cornered the market at Wal-mart, etc, and so a lot of "little folks" had a hard time competing. Going to needlework shows was so much fun - you got to meet everyone and swap ideas, and see their styles. I also liked Pegasus Designs. Our company was called Country Cross-Stitch. There was a magazine with the same name, but we did not publish that.

I loved doing the photography and setting up the cover shots. The models always looked so pretty grouped together. Thanks for the interest and the questions! I still stitch samplers on linen over two in my spare time. Once a stitcher always a stitcher.

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2007 :  07:43:07 AM  Show Profile
Sherri - the tracking problem you have is common - I have a hard time, too. Some stitchers I know actually take a yellow highighter and mark the stitches on their chart as they go along to help keep track of what has been stitched already. This is tedious, though. Also, using a magnifying lamp will help, like a Dazor lamp. That enlarges the piece you are stitching.

And sometimes, make your mistakes work. Especially in samplers, a mistake can often be worked into the design and be unnoticable!

P.S. I just saw one of our booklets for sale on Amazon! It is called Prized Lilies and my name is even listed! Weird!

Edited by - jpbluesky on Aug 09 2007 07:46:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

ktknits
True Blue Farmgirl

582 Posts

Kathy
Northwest Indiana
USA
582 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2007 :  08:32:40 AM  Show Profile
Schoolhouse Designs.....was that Eileen Bennett? I took a class from her (well, really several classes) many, many years ago. I have lots of her patterns. I love samplers--I have quite a few kits from Scarlet Letter too!

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2007 :  10:20:52 AM  Show Profile
Yes, it was Eileen Bennett! HOw neat that you took a class from her!

I also loved Scarlet Letter. She had many, many reproduction sampler designs. She also had sheep and a wonderful farm, and made lovely woolen scarves. Right now I cannot remember her name, and I can see her face so clearly.

Another fun designer was Alma Lynne. Blond and bubbly, she was the life of each show.

Go to Top of Page

ktknits
True Blue Farmgirl

582 Posts

Kathy
Northwest Indiana
USA
582 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2007 :  10:42:13 AM  Show Profile
Yes, Alma Lynne was a hoot! There was a counted cross stitch show every year at Rockome Gardens in Arcola, Illinois. One of their sponsors was a shop in Tuscola, IL. They also sponsored a weekend riverboat cruise on the Missouri & Mississippi rivers that left from St. Charles, MO went down the river one day, stayed overnight at Marquette State Park in Illinois and came back the next. Two girls I work with and I went on this cruise twice. One year Alma Lynne was the class teacher--it was just a riot!! I know I took a class from Eileen Bennett at Rockome one year, but I'm thinking she may have been a teacher on this cruise the other year I went.

I believe Scarlet Letter is still in business. I get their updates occasionally. Our local Embroiderer's Guild took a bus trip up there to her place once years ago. Her husband dismantles and reassembles log cabins, and they live in one (really 2 put together, if I remember) and their shop is in one, and they have several others on their property. Beautiful place, and very, very sweet people--and a wonderful product too!!

I've got one of her samplers in my top drawer of the nightstand for those sleepless nights.....

Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2007 :  11:16:14 AM  Show Profile
JP, did Alma Lynne go out of business? I just bought one of her fabric designs.

Farmgirl hug,
Patricia

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Does anyone do counted cross stitch?? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page