Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Obadiah Tharp Great Wheel
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Obadiah Tharp Great Wheel Next Topic  

bowzer
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Barb
Downing MO
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2007 :  2:36:17 PM  Show Profile
I was reading some of your comments from last year and you mentioned that you have an O.T great wheel. I also have one and have never found another owner. How long have you had it? Where did you buy it? Do you spin on it often? Cotten or wool? Do you know anything about the maker? Lot's more questions.

I'm not familiar with this web format so I hope I am contacting you correctly. I'm interested in talking to anyone who uses or loves great wheels.

ktknits
True Blue Farmgirl

582 Posts

Kathy
Northwest Indiana
USA
582 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2007 :  7:11:07 PM  Show Profile
It's me! I got it about 8 years ago from a woman in Bloomington, IN, who was moving to a retirement home. She sold me the great wheel and matching skein winder, a 48" Sievers floor loom, and a Louet S10 spinning wheel. She said she didn't have room for these things and she just wanted them to have a good home. She had been a volunteer reinactor (sp?) at Conner Prairie living history museum in Indianapolis. I don't spin on it often, basically because I have just never taken the time to become really familiar with it and how to spin on it since it is so different from my other treadle wheels.

The maker is from the state of Washington or Oregon, and passed away, I think even before I got my wheel. I haven't looked lately, but when I did google search this several years ago there were not very many of these and they were spread out all over the country. I saw one of these wheels on E-bay in March 2006 and it sold for a lot of $$!

There's a newsletter, The Spinning Wheel Sleuth, that might give you more information. I'd be interested to know if you find anything out about the wheel. Enjoy your wheel! You can e-mail me directly by hitting the little envelope icon to the right of the date at the top of this reply if you want. I don't have a lot more info on the wheel, but I can try to answer any specific questions you have.

Kathy

http://ktknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2007 :  11:47:17 AM  Show Profile
oh kathy we should really get together sometime. There is a wheel for sale in a shop on the square right now. My husband and I looked at it last night. I have always wanted a wheel so I can learn to spin, but I do not know if this is a decent one or if it even has all the pieces. The ladies in the good yarn store are so cliquey, it makes it hard to get info from them.

Edited by - smoothiejuice on Aug 03 2007 11:50:01 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Obadiah Tharp Great Wheel Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page