Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Spoiled cattle? Next Topic  

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2007 :  6:51:48 PM  Show Profile
I don't know if anyone here has ever dealt with this before, but I thought this would be the best place to ask!

We have a small "herd" of 3 cattle (beef- one older steer, ready to go in a couple months, a 6 month old steer and a 3 year old cow). They have a small turn-out with grass (just basic bermuda) and a pen where they get their hay and grain. The last couple weeks I have noticed they have been demanding more and more hay (now up to about a bale to a bale and a half), all the while neglecting the grass that's all around them! The grass in their "pasture" is now almost knee-high in places, and as an experiment I started cutting back a bit on the hay to see if they would start grazing. To my disgust, they chow down all the hay and then stand in the middle of the tallest section of grass and beller at the top of their lungs every 30 seconds as if they were starving. I am sure the neighbors are thrilled, but I can't help but wonder if there is some reason the cows refuse to eat the grass? Or are they just spoiled? Any light on the subject would be appreciated-- hay in our area is at $9/ bale right now. That makes for some pretty expensive beef! Thanks!

"There is a Happy Dale far, far away. . ." -Arsenic and Old Lace

AmyEllen
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Amy
McPherson Kansas
USA
235 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2007 :  7:27:24 PM  Show Profile
I think your approach of cutting back would work after a bit. They are probably just complaining. I know my horse I had would rather have all the alfalfa and grain she could get, I mean it is easier. They hay probably tastes better to them. This is probably where you have to get a pair of earplugs, LOL. Maybe offer your neighbors some It could get pretty expenisve to have to keep feeding them more when they have perfectly edible grass to chow down on. Good Luck
Amy

http://lifenkansas.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2007 :  7:50:02 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
The only thing I could think of is if they have too much cow pies built up on the ground and they might be getting picky about eating around their messes?

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2007 :  8:38:13 PM  Show Profile
Alee you said it right. Maybe you should drag your small grass area. We do that in the horse pastures and it breaks up the manure and goes back into the soil instead of impacting it. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4196 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4196 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2007 :  04:43:07 AM  Show Profile
You could also try mowing that pasture. Take a walk out there and see if they are leaving the old stuff, and just picking here and there at the young grass. And Yes, in my opinion cows do get spoiled! Michele
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2007 :  06:37:00 AM  Show Profile
Of course! I can't believe I didn't think of the cow pies. I would guess that is the problem. Apparently, they would rather eat the angry dried-out tumble weeds on the other side of our fence then the grass, as they pushed through our fence last night to get to the vacant lot on the other side. It was quite a show, I'll tell you! Pitch black, 9 at night, and my poor husband and I were out there tramping around in the snake and rabbit infested lot, running back and forth yelling "h'ya!", stumbling with flashlights and a BB gun. I love how our neighbors were all standing around their side of the fence watching, not lifting a finger. We were running around like in a basketball game, trying to corral two black cows (who we could hardly see in the dark!) back into the spot they came through. Oh, and did I mention I'm 30 weeks pregnant? What a sight we must have been! Anyways, until I get the pasture grass up to their "standard" of fine dining, I think I will just free-feed them all the hay they want! I don't want to have a repeat of last night's preformance, especially now that they know there's a weak spot in the fence. That will be today's project, to repair the fence! Thanks for the suggestions!

"There is a Happy Dale far, far away. . ." -Arsenic and Old Lace
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2007 :  09:00:42 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Molly-

Congrats on your pregnancy! I can't imagine running around in the dark trying to catch cattle when I was 30 weeks! Ugh! About that time Nora decided it was fun to kick me in the kidneys everytime I moved faster than a walk! LOL

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Spoiled cattle? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page