UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2007 :  09:03:16 AM  Show Profile
I wanted to take horseback riding lessons. I was 10 the last time I was on a horse and I'm not familiar with how to care for them. I would like to take lessons just to see if someday a horse can be in our future. (If I can't have the farm yet maybe I can get a feel for it) Most of the places near Atlanta are for hunter/jumpers. I'm not sure if I'm into that kind of lessons, seems a little snooty for me, but I've never done it so I can't say. Do you think I should volunteer at a place first or just go ahead and arrange for a few lessons? Can anyone recommend a good place in the GA area for horseback riding lessons? What should I be looking for in a facility and teacher? Anything else I should know?

"Courage dosen't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying: I will try again tomorrow."

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2007 :  10:27:33 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Ayako-

I would just go ahead and get the lessons. If they are a good place, they will teach you how to care for the horse as you are getting lessons as well. Also you will most likely need to start at the very beginning so even the Hunter/Jumper ones will be teachng you the same as other places.

Horseback riding lessons! I am so jealous! Have tons of fun!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2007 :  3:20:36 PM  Show Profile
I did find a nice place to teach me lessons at what I think is a reasonable price. They are about 30-45 minutes away. They teach western and trail riding which is what I wanted to do and they have miles and miles of trails and they are building an equestrian center 1/2 mile away and they will have miles of trails there too. He said they would teach me all that I need to know about horse care as well as responsible horse ownership. They would tell me if I would be suited to own one and they will go with me for free to go look for a good horse if I wanted one. I can board there as well. All their horses are pastured, not stabled. I'm not sure which is better for the horses but I'm sure if they have adequate shelter, access to clean water and food then it should be fine. What do you guys think? They have a website if anyone wants to look just email me and you guys can check it out for me and see if this place is a good place for lessons and maybe someday boarding a horse. I really don't know what to look for other than a clean place, healthy looking horses and what I think would be knowledgeable people. Anyone recomend some good websites or reading for me?

"Courage dosen't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying: I will try again tomorrow."
Go to Top of Page

AmyEllen
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Amy
McPherson Kansas
USA
235 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2007 :  5:53:10 PM  Show Profile
Hello as a former hunter jumper dressage rider, may I make a suggestion!! My question to you is how tall are you and hows your back?? While this may seem silly, I do know that english saddles are way lighter and easier to lift up onto a horse back. I have always ridden in an english saddle even in the mountains of California. I grew up in Ca and we went trail ridding up in the mountains alot. I am only 5 foot 1 inch and even on the POA I rode for awhile I appreciated the english saddle, also and english saddles stirrup leathers are way easier on the legs and ankles as their is much less to them and they are moer flexable. I rode in a western saddle a couple of times and it really hurt my ankles, mine tend to be a hair weak! Just a thought!! Have fun in your leasons what ever you choose. How awesome to be taking them!!!

Amy

http://lifenkansas.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2007 :  6:14:36 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Ayako- That sounds like a perfect place! I would certainly take lessons there. The only thing I would suggest is keep doing your research. Don't take everything they say as gospel so to speak. I know there is a stable here in town that comes across as being very up to date and intelligent but they have a high instance of horse injuries that they try to pass off a bad luck. If you want to email me the link I would be happy to look at it for you. I am by no means an expert though!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

ponyexpress
True Blue Farmgirl

320 Posts

Sandy
Kirkwood Missouri
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2007 :  7:41:19 PM  Show Profile
Just my two cents here.... I had only ridden western when I was a kid...no lessons, just hop on and hang on. Then when I hit 40, I bought a horse. A 15.3 hand hunter jumper and I had never even SEEN an English saddle before this. I tried switching him to western, but he would have none of that nonsense and so we compromised on a dressage saddle. I can honestly say now that I would never go back to western. I learned so much about balance, about not relying on the saddle to keep your seat, about reading the horse and learning to anticipate rather than react to problems. The dressage saddle was so comfortable and much lighter in weight than western, which as Amy says, can be a great help when you are tacking up or putting things away.

I used that saddle whether it was lessons, inside work, or trails. I truly felt more in control when I could actually feel the horse underneath me. Dressage is a great foundation to learning any kind of riding. I once worked with a highly respected trainer who trained and showed western horses, cutting horses, barrel racers. ALL of his horses and ALL of his riders first started with dressage fundamentals. It's all about balance and communication. It's about learning to communicate to your horse through subtle changes in position, changes in weight in the saddle and leg position and NOT by hanging and yanking on the reins.

I don't mean to preach or get on a soapbox, but I get really upset when I see bad riding technique being promoted. It's the horse who suffers and the rider who gets hurt when the horse has had enough!

I've learned that it takes as much time and energy to wish as it does to plan.

Go to Top of Page

ponyexpress
True Blue Farmgirl

320 Posts

Sandy
Kirkwood Missouri
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2007 :  7:44:02 PM  Show Profile
One more thing....yes, English barns can have a bit of an attitude. If you make it clear that what you want to learn is the basics of horsemanship and riding, that should let them know that you aren't interested in pursing the show circuit. That's where it can get competitive and expensive.

Go to Top of Page

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2007 :  9:11:19 PM  Show Profile
I'm going to still do some more research. I've been looking up reviews on some places. I think I'll see if they will allow me to take a tour or just look around at some of the facilities. What questions should I be asking? I am 5'2" but I can lift heavy objects pretty well. I'm sure it will get tiring lifing a heavy saddle all the time though. I'm just used to western from what I learned as a kid but if I can find an instructor that suits me for english then we'll have to see.

Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2007 :  2:13:34 PM  Show Profile
Give the barn a try and if you fit, you fit. If you don't, then perhaps by that time you'll have looked around and talked to others about other barns that might fit you. Lessons are great to start and find out what you want to do. Even if you don't care for, example: dressage, you will learn something and can go from there. I used to have a friend who ran a barn there but she just recently moved to FL, otherwise I'd recommend her. Horses are the greatest.

Winona ;-)

Don't sweat the small stuff...

http://goneridingagain.bravehost.com

Go to Top of Page

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2007 :  06:14:24 AM  Show Profile
I found a nice english barn and I'm going to call them on Monday to see if they have openings for me for dressage and for my daughter for hippotherapy. It's hard to find us the right place to go because I want to have lessons and she needs hippotherapy to help her adapt with her autism. Most of the places for Hippotherapy and therapeutic riding are completely booked and there is a long waiting list. One lady even laughed at me and said to look at her website, she dosen't have time to answer my questions. So I've been kind of put off by english barns since I called 3 of them and all of them were very rude and said there was a long waiting list. So I'm going to hope this one I call on monday is much kinder. It's further away than I would like but from her website she sounds wonderful. I even did a google search and she has an article with EC magazine about therapeutic riding at her facility. I just hope she has room for the both of us. Wish me luck!
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2007 :  06:48:17 AM  Show Profile
With a lot of barns, you're lucky they even call you back if you leave a msg and you found how it can be when someone does answer. Most horse places are under a lot of financial stress and other inter-active stuff that goes on at barns and so that leaves little room for pleasantries. Seems counter-productive but there is it. Go ahead and visit and try to get a feel for the place anyway.

Anywho, here's wishing for you!!

Winona ;-)

Don't sweat the small stuff...

http://goneridingagain.bravehost.com

Go to Top of Page

kitchensqueen
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

521 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2007 :  09:26:31 AM  Show Profile
My husband and I are looking into taking western riding lessons next summer. He (my city-boy husband) actually admitted he'd like to own horses after we get our farm going in a few years! He's a bit apprehensive about how much they cost-- can anybody throw out a ballpark figure of how much it would cost to own two horses? We wouldn't be looking to get them any time soon (since we know nothing and want to learn first) but it would be nice to see if we can work them into our long-term plans for the farm.

http://apartmentfarm.wordpress.com

http://shadetreestudios.etsy.com

New Rt 66 blog: http://historyinthemaking.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2007 :  1:26:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Amanda-

The cost of owning a horse varies from place to place. I am not sure about the prices in the Chicago area, but here are some costs that you could look into for your area.

Basic Vet fees to come to your place (for cases when the horse is to ill/injured to be transported)

Hoof care and shoeing

Boarding costs (either at a boarding stable or things like bedding, buckets, wheel barrow, hay fork, hoses, fencing, halter and lead ropes)

Tack

Basic shots, worming, blood work

horse trailer

hay

grain feed

supplements if needed

fly spray

grooming kit

blankets/sheets

Alee
Go to Top of Page

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  10:15:43 AM  Show Profile
Ok...here's my dilema. I called the english barn. Wonderful place and a very nice lady. I've heard her name tossed around as well and comes highly regarded as a good english rider and teacher. Her fees are $50 per hour for private and her boarding is $600 per month and then an additional $200 per month for 1 hour per week training for horse and rider if I get a horse and train it there. The facilities are wonderful and very clean. She will teach me dressage and hunter/jumper if I so chose. The other place is a very laid back cowboy like place for western and trail riding. They mainly do trail riding for beginners. They pasture board for $200 per month and they only cost $160 for six weeks of lessons. Much cheaper and I was looking to do just trails because it seems like the boarding is cheaper (if we get a horse) and the horses that do trails seems to be less expensive too. The horse that I've seen that are trained for hunter and dressage are going for about $20,000 we just can't spend that much money on a horse right now. I am afraid if I take dressage lessons I will want a dressage horse and board it there and then the fees will be too much for us to handle. But if I take western lesson we could definately afford a trail horse and board. What would you do? Take the english lessons and worry about the cost of a horse later? Or just go ahead and do western and have a better chance of owning a horse much faster? Sorry if I sound silly but we are really gearing up to purchase a horse and I don't want this to be too much of a financial burden on my DH.

Go to Top of Page

kitchensqueen
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

521 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  10:22:16 AM  Show Profile
Is there such a thing as an all-purpose horse? One where you could learn both Western and dressage, then if you find you're really devoted to dressage you could "upgrade" later as your finances permit? If you could board at the Western place and do training with the dressage lady...

(Obviously I am a COMPLETE beginner with this whole horse thing, so this is probably all crazy talk!) LOL

http://apartmentfarm.wordpress.com

http://shadetreestudios.etsy.com

New Rt 66 blog: http://historyinthemaking.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

AmyEllen
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Amy
McPherson Kansas
USA
235 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  12:22:36 PM  Show Profile
OH my goodnes I never ever had a horse that cost anything near that. In fact my last horse who was awesome and very athletic cost me 300 dollars, yes that was a few years ago. There are marvelous horses that can be bought for very little money right now. I learned dressage as my horse learned dressage, we learned together. You do not have to buy a ready made horse to enjoy a sport. It is so much fun to work with your team mate, the horse, and for them to learn something, the feeling when you finally get it is awesome. And yes there is such a thing as an all around horse. Most 4-H kids have all around horses. That is where I first started riding and the POA I was using was a blast, we did trail riding, show jumping, dressage, he pulled a cart, we did barrel racing and pole bending. He also counted his age, and loved my hotdog buns with ketchup you know standard fair food. Even though I rode a number of registered horses and my 300 dollar mare was a purebred registered Polish Arab, who jumped and did dressage. One of my favorites was a morgan mustang cross mare who I learned to ride on she was sweet good natured, but could be enjoyed tremendously. So please do not think that you must purchase a horse that will break the bank.

Amy

http://lifenkansas.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  12:48:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Amanda-

Yes, there are such things as all around horses, especially if you aren't wanting to be pro circuit rider. If you are just riding for pleasure then you don't need to have a specially bred horse to do most things. Now granted a few things will make certain types better for certain things. For whatever you are doing, make sure it won't ruin your horse's joints or back or be super uncomfortable for you.

Ayako-

I personally would go with the cheaper western place right now. Right now you need to re-enter the horse world. Which the cheaper lessons and boarding would do great. Once you are back into riding and the horse world- you can always go to the more expensive place.

Honestly- unless you are trying to go pro with your riding or are planning on breeding, I wouldn't buy a really expensive horse. Buy a good "ranch" or mixed blood horse if that is what is cheapest. I would stay away from flighty horses or horses that can't learn because they are too set in their ways. You should look for a horse that respects humans but isn't afraid of them, is willing to learn, is intelligent, is flexible in mind and body, and that you get along with. Just like any other creature- they all have their own personality.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

ponyexpress
True Blue Farmgirl

320 Posts

Sandy
Kirkwood Missouri
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  6:47:28 PM  Show Profile
You know, when I posted earlier, I certainly didn't mean to give the impression that I was an advanced rider. Far from it! My horse was sixteen when I bought him for $1100. It cost more for the saddle and assorted tack than horse!! The barn we were in was a general boarding facility and there were riders/owners of both english and western. I'm sure there is a barn out there for you -- this one may be a little too advanced if they are working with $20,000 horses.

You might consider leasing a horse before committing to purchase. When you lease, you have a specific arrangement with the horse owner for the number of days you are allowed and maybe even which days. You share in the cost of boarding, vet and farrier bills. It will give you a better chance to evaluate whether or not owning a horse is right for you before making a commitment to buy.

Barns that offer therapeutic horsemanship have a different focus and mission than those who work with the general public. They sometimes offer lessons to outside people, but usually the horses work pretty hard in the therapeutic lessons and they need some time off.

Maybe you could find a smaller, privately operated barn. Check with a few vets in your area for recommendations. There is something out there for you, it justs takes some looking.

Go to Top of Page

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2007 :  3:52:29 PM  Show Profile
Well this really nice lady from the western barn called me today. She and I talked for a while and she is really excited that it will be an adult taking lessons. She said she dosen't get those very often and she is looking forward to it. So I start on Thursday at 10am. I just purchased my riding hat and riding boots today so I am set. Wish me luck!

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2007 :  11:04:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
yay! Congrats Ayako! I am green with Envy! I am hoping to be able to afford lessons next year!

Hugs!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2007 :  5:52:40 PM  Show Profile
I just came late to this thread, and I'm so glad you chose the barn you did! In the beginning there's so much to learn, but the most important thing is to have FUN. Expensive barns, prissy horses and egotistical trainers can suck the FUN right out of having a horse unless you have a strong horse background.

Amanda, if you need specifics as to costs for horse ownership in our area, let me know. I've been doing this here for 25 years, and I'm pretty UTD on expenses. I can tell you this as a rule of thumb: the further west you go, the cheaper it all gets. Do you have a clue where you want to settle?
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Horsey questions Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page