Georgia
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Angie
ballwin mo
USA
92 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2007 :  11:49:11 AM  Show Profile
I just got home from picking blackberries at a u-pick farms close to my home. I am so excited. They are the most beautiful blackberries I have ever seen. What I need are some canning recipies for the besides jam or jelly. Anyone have some ideas? I have three flats and I am going back on Friday to pick more!

dreamer

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2007 :  12:10:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Angie, you lucky girl. I am soooo envious. Blackberries are my absolute FAVORITE! If there was an icon for someone drooling, I would insert it here! LOL

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2007 :  1:03:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Angie-

We have wild blackberries here. Do you have a space in your yard that you would like to have blackberries in? I could sent you a branch and I bet it would grow!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

Georgia
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Angie
ballwin mo
USA
92 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2007 :  1:07:51 PM  Show Profile
Yes, I think I do have enought space. Are they the varity with or without thorns? Either way I would love to start some! Is there any trick to growing blackberries?

dreamer
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2007 :  8:45:48 PM  Show Profile
Lucky people to have berries to pick. I freeze them as is, first on a flat sheet and then in ziplocs when they're firm so they don't crush.
Toss a handful in with my Slim Fast shake in the morning along with a banana and cup of ice cubes. If you go ahead and freeze them like that, you can make pies or cobblers or whatever with them later and not chance them going bad before you get them processed
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2007 :  11:21:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Angie- They have thorns...lots of thorns...but they also can produce black berries that can be HUGE with enough water...yum!

Just send me an email with you address and I will cut you some clippings next time I go :)

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Georgia
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Angie
ballwin mo
USA
92 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2007 :  12:31:43 PM  Show Profile
I found this recipe and thought I would share it :
Sounds yummy! Blackberry syrup

6-8 quarts of black berries
3 cups cider vinegar
4 lbs sugar
Place berries in a crock or bowl and pour vinegar over then and cover with a cheese cloth. Put in a cool, dry place for three days. Let it sit but stir twice a day. After three days have pased strain the mixture through a jelly bag into a bowl (don't crush the berries) Use a pint measure and measure out one pint of the strained juice and put in a pot.
Then add one cup of sugar. Keep adding the juice pint by pint adding one cup of sugar to each pint. Heat mixture until sugar is completely dissolved. Bring to a boil and boil 5 full minutes. When done bottle and seal your own blackberry syrup!

dreamer
Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2007 :  11:19:41 AM  Show Profile
Hey Angie
I freeze mine- they are just like fresh if you do them right away.First on a cookie sheet then into ziplocs. Right after Hurricane Rita (my husband was a first responder) we scrambled to put up what we could that would thaw in the freezer. I had a LOT of blackberries- so I jumped right in and starte canning them. Didn't lose a one!!!! Lost a LOT of other food- water and energy was scarce and so was time. We were without power for 3-4 weeks.
As bad as things were we did kinda enjoy the time right after the hurricane.
Autumn

Isaiah 40:31
But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Go to Top of Page

MamaHumbird
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Holly
Cleveland Missouri
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2007 :  11:47:14 AM  Show Profile
Angie,
We just went last night and picked blueberries. They are beautiful! I really had to scrub down my 4 & 5 year olds, I think they ate almost as many as they picked. We ended up with 23 pounds! Last year was my first go around with blackberries. I make a lot of jam, but my family didn't like the blackberry jam as well because of the seeds. The big hit was the blackberry syrup. That is all I am going to make with mine. Do you have the Ball Blue Book of preserving? If so, there is a recipe in there for blueberry syrup and I just substituted the blackberries. All it has in it is berries, sugar and lemon juice. It doesn't make as big of a batch as the above recipe but it sure was delicious. My family loved it on pancakes and ice cream. The most difficult part is watching them go through a whole pint at one sitting, knowing how long it took to make that one little pint! It is one of those foods you only get out for people who will appreciate your time & effort. If you don't have the book let me know and I will give you the recipe.

Good luck from one MO girl to another
Holly
Go to Top of Page

MamaHumbird
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Holly
Cleveland Missouri
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2007 :  11:49:31 AM  Show Profile
I guess I should proof read my replies. I meant to say we just went and picked BLACKBERRIES last night, not blueberries. How embarrassing, sorry girls.

Holly
Go to Top of Page

Georgia
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Angie
ballwin mo
USA
92 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2007 :  09:54:17 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Holly
I do have the Ball book. Do you think you can make it with frozen berries?

dreamer
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2007 :  12:46:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I still haven't gone back to the patch- but I will get you a clipping when I go. I really want to go today. Maybe I can con Doug into going?

Alee
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Blackberries Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page