Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 This is really disgusting! UPDATE & Picture Added
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic This is really disgusting! UPDATE & Picture Added Next Topic
Page: of 3

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  3:42:37 PM  Show Profile
My little dauschund pup started getting a lump on her side and my dh pulled her fur back and looked at it and there was a little, perfectly round hole - it looked like she'd been shot with a BB or something. Well, we washed it and I've been putting Bag Balm on it a couple of times a day, but it wasn't getting any better. I thought - well, if it's not better by Wed., I'll take her to the vet. I picked her up this morning and felt it and it really seemed a lot bigger, but also, I could feel something under the skin, sort of under the lump. I gently pushed, sorta squeezed on that part under the lump and I thought I saw some pus come out of the little hole, so I thought - oh it's infected. I had decided I would get ready and take her to the vet, so I put her down, and went to get cleaned up. I came back and looked at it again, kinda pushed on it and I couldn't believe my eyes. There was this worm, larvae, thing, coming out of the little hole! I ran and got my tweezers and pulled it out and it's this big fat, living creature! I couldn't believe it. I put it in a jar to show dh and put some more Bag Balm on her, and the lump is totally gone. What in the world??????

Edited by - mikesgirl on Aug 05 2007 9:36:47 PM

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  4:24:34 PM  Show Profile
oh my gosh..I so should NOT have read this..uggh. I certainly hope that the puppy is fine and that even though the critter is out, that the vet can tell you what it was and why it occured. ooh ..nasty! (yep my stomach is doing the major flip flop here now..ugggh..I'm not a wimp and can handle most squeamish things..but live critters crawling outta other live critters just sorta sends my tummy in a loop) hope your little pup heals up really fast.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  4:26:33 PM  Show Profile
I know - I didn't want to disgust anyone, but I am really wondering if anyone knows what this could be? Sounds like a science fiction movie doesn't it?
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  4:45:54 PM  Show Profile
I'm really interested to hear what this "thing" is. Sounds so disgusting, poor furbaby.
Hugs, Kathy
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  4:51:36 PM  Show Profile
You better feel her for more lumps....

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  5:00:12 PM  Show Profile
Just got off the phone with the vet. The only thing he could come up with is this scenario. While we were in Wyoming, our puppy played with our son's pup - a Siberian Husky. They got kinda rough, and the vet thinks maybe Kiska's (the Husky) claw or tooth punctured Lucy's skin and we didn't notice it because it was under her fur. Then, he theorizes, a horse fly landed on that spot and laid an egg and Lucy has been acting as an incubator, incubating the fly larvae until I found it today. He said he couldn't be sure until he saw the larvae, which I'm glad I saved. What a wierd thing to happen! He said to just keep treating it with the Bag Balm and keep it clean and bring her in if it swells back up.
Go to Top of Page

janetinva123
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Janet
newport news va
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  5:21:14 PM  Show Profile
I have heard that sheep or goats one can get this kind of problem or was it chickens. I don't know but it is gross.

Jc
http://beloved-creations.blogspot.com
http://beloved-creations.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  5:58:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Ugh! That is gross!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  6:18:45 PM  Show Profile
I was just talking to my best friend about this and she said she saw soemthing on the news about a similar thing happening to a person who had a large lump on their head when they came back from a trip overseas. It turned out to be a larvae also, which had gotten under her scalp through a deep scratch she had on her head.
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  6:36:58 PM  Show Profile
Ewwwww!

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  7:07:00 PM  Show Profile
Oh, I think I'm going to be ill. Blecch. You are much braver than I am!

Karin

Wherever you go, there you are.

Come visit me at:
www.madrekarin.etsy.com

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  8:16:25 PM  Show Profile
I just realized what a "fly larvae" is. The vet was just giving me a nice name for a maggot. Yikessssssss!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  8:19:06 PM  Show Profile
Seems like I have heard of something called a screw worm..a fly larvae..that the fly actually pokes the hole for the larvae to grow in..ugh!! I would be mighty grossed out too..and yep..fly larvae is maggots..ugh!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  8:31:24 PM  Show Profile
Yuck! I thought when you first started telling the story that it was just like the bumps my dogs get, like an abscess, because they get little bumps that I can squeeze pus out of from time to time, but I've never squeezed out a maggot! Gross! I did see a show on tv, it was about weird stuff that happens in the er, where a lady kept scratching her head and said there were bugs under her skin. The doctor didn't believe it, but he found little holes on her head and after watching awhile where her husband said he saw one, he actually found the worm thing and pulled it out. She had several. I can't remember how she got them, but Yuck!
Go to Top of Page

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  8:43:25 PM  Show Profile
It could be a bot fly. They get swallowed and the larva end up looking just like you said, a little mound with a hole in it. Be careful not to squish the bot or kill it while it is in the hole. You can try to catch him when he pokes out and pull him out but be careful not to squish him. They produce a toxin and a animal can go into anaphalaxtic shock. It's best if it is removed by a veterinarian. Here's some info on the bot fly.

Most of the subcutaneous "bots" or "warbles" that occur in dogs and cats
are the larva of various species of _Cuterebra_ sp. flies. They lay their
eggs around the mouths of rodent burrows as the rodents and rabbits are
their primary target. Dogs and cats seem to acquire the disease by
accident when poking their heads into the burrows after the rodents. Often
times, the warbles have to be removed surgically by a veterinarian.
To completely prevent infection is probably impossible; however, reducing
the number of rodents may help. If you like the furry little creatures,
this is not an option. I could suggest insecticidal sprays at and around
the burrows of the rodents but you would miss some that your dog would
undoubtably find. The best solution is keep the dog away from the burrows.
A flea collar _might_ help.
There is some danger of anaphylaxis if the creatures are "smashed" while
encysted in the dog. Removal is probably best left to a veterinarian.
Good luck.

"Courage dosen't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying: I will try again tomorrow."
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  8:44:04 PM  Show Profile
Oh Sherri,
Gross out, glad you got it taken care of, but way gross. You are braver than I may have been.
Hope Miss Lucy gets better quickly.
Give her a hug for me, she is so adorable.

Enjoying life.
Go to Top of Page

Runbikegrrl
True Blue Farmgirl

250 Posts

MaryAnn
Waterbury Ctr VT
USA
250 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2007 :  03:28:34 AM  Show Profile
YIkes! Better you then my honey! I don't think I could have dealt with that right now!!!!!

"So many interests so little time!"

http://lovelifelivegrrl.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Patsy
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Illinois
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2007 :  05:19:05 AM  Show Profile
Poor ittle doxie. This is just the beginning if you get a doxie puppy. We had a thread awhile back about all the things that happen to them. Even though it wasn't her fault, things just seem to happen to them. I am glad you got that nasty thing out. I could never see why God put flies on this earth. Just don't see the point to them.

May God bless those who love the soil,

Patsy

Go to Top of Page

cabinmoose
True Blue Farmgirl

218 Posts

Lorna
Forest Hill MD
USA
218 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2007 :  05:32:08 AM  Show Profile  Send cabinmoose an AOL message  Send cabinmoose a Yahoo! Message
Oh my! Glad you got it.

Hugs,

Lorna
Forest Hill, MD

“I laugh, I love, I hope, I try, I hurt, I need, I fear, I cry.
And I know you do the same things too, So we're really
not that different, me and you.” ~Colin Raye
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2007 :  06:56:08 AM  Show Profile
Ughhhhhhh!! Right now I feel itchy.....that does sound like something out the the 'twilight zone'. Freaky!

"To have life in focus, we must have death in our field of vision." Benedictine monk John Main
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2007 :  07:30:10 AM  Show Profile
At first it sounded like you had found an abscess on her and the "alive" thing was just a staph infection (looks kind of like white cheese strings) but I looked it up (just google "bot fly larva") and a bot fly sounds like it might be what you found. The pictures are gross!

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2007 :  07:48:01 AM  Show Profile
Patsy, flies came with the territory with the curse. Same as thorns & thistles.

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·. http://boinglink.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2007 :  9:44:19 PM  Show Profile
Little update on Lucy. She's really acting more normal today - jumping around and playing. She still has a lump on her side but I think it may have gotten a bit smaller.

Erin - There was no doubt about the creature not being alive - it wiggled all over the place, and looked me in the eye. I put it in a bottle to save to show dh when he got home, and when we dumped out the bottle, about 6 hours later, it was still alive and tried to wriggle away. Let's hope that's the last I see of those things!!
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2007 :  10:06:41 PM  Show Profile
Amen to that one sister!!!!!!
Carol Sue

Enjoying life.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2007 :  11:06:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Ew ew ew! Even ticks make me squirm! LOL You farmgirls found my my big weakness!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2007 :  06:34:07 AM  Show Profile
Very nasty! That kind of thing happens all the time to humans traveling in the tropics, by the way. You don't even need an injury, all kinds of bugs will dig into you to lay their eggs. I used to know a guy who spent his vacation every year in the jungles of venezuela helping missionaries build an airstrip. He would be digging maggots out of his fingers and toes for months afterward. Just a fact of life for some people. You won't catch me going on a tropical getaway any time soon!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic This is really disgusting! UPDATE & Picture Added Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page