True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2007 :  2:57:52 PM  Show Profile
Hi ladies!

As I was getting some items ready for dinner, I had a quick idea for a post.

Do any of you have favorite or preferred type of something you grow?

This year we tried "Ivory" Sweet corn, and I'm sorry, you just cant beat the tried and true "Silver Queen".

Silver queen sweet corn is something I have grown up wil all my life and have never had any problems. Mu uncle grew it, and that's all we ever would buy from local farmers in Ohio. Sorry to say, this "Ivory" tastes nice, but the kernels are small and it gives us all terrible gas!!! Even the dog got it and was so distracted she couldn't mind her manners during last week's obedience class! I felt embarassed for her!

Hubby got a dose of his own last night. Serves him as HE is the one who planted it!

We do have one patch of silver queen, but the lack of rain has produced small ears.

Happy news is, we have another area that was planted a little later. HOPEFULLY we'll get some rain and I'll have someting to can.

and we won't ever bother with Brandywine heriloom tomatoes either. they are huge, but just aren't suited for our region and ended up splitting and looking all knotty

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2007 :  7:27:49 PM  Show Profile
I agree...silver queen is SOOOOO good!!
I have better luck with Brandywine tomatoes than others usually here...but it has been SO much hotter here this year that I am not sure. I have a zillion green tomatoes on all the vines now..but no ripes yet!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2007 :  7:39:45 PM  Show Profile
That is so funny! Does you dog like to eat the cobs? Ours will chew them up in about two seconds flat! So funny! I love the silver queen too. Peaches and Cream is also very good.

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2007 :  5:46:00 PM  Show Profile
No, we take the cobs away for fear of plugging her up. but if she had her way, she'd eat the whole thing.
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic What's in a name Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page