Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2007 :  9:46:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
When I was watering today, I noticed that my first tomato has formed! It is about the size of a small cherry tomato- but it is on my runtiesy tomato plant! Whats up with that? The plant is only about 6 inches high!

Alee

The amazing one handed typist! One hand for tying, one hand to hold Nora!

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2007 :  05:09:33 AM  Show Profile
LOL, just God's sense of humor, hhhhhaaaahhhaaahaaa

Enjoying the moments.
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2007 :  05:32:36 AM  Show Profile
Alee,
Always a good feeling to see what you have planted come busting out. My DH loves fresh tomatoes.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Love-in-a-Mist
True Blue Farmgirl

367 Posts

Shannon
Independence Oregon
USA
367 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2007 :  4:12:17 PM  Show Profile
So exciting, you'll be eating fresh tomatos in no time. If only mine would start forming.

http://diaryofafarmerswife.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2007 :  9:43:05 PM  Show Profile
Hey Alee, I just had to go check the tomatoes after you posted that, I have one coming on, teeny tiny but there is one and lots of blooms.

Enjoying the moments.
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2007 :  08:40:33 AM  Show Profile
Hey Alee...I have ONE, too. It's on my Celebrity plant. I just got 4 tomato plants since I'm the only one who eats them and my canning adventure turned out terribly, so I don't see myself attempting that again :).

I got a couple of heirlooms that are growing REALLY tall, but no flowers or blooms. What's up with that?? Maybe I got a beanstalk instead

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2007 :  10:27:52 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Jonni-

You could try pinching back some of the new growth so the plant would concentrate more on flowering instead of putting out more greenery.

I have never had a tomato plant that didn't produce though, I love it when they get nice and big. I think it helps them produce the fruit faster once they actually do flower out. But that is just my gut feeling- not based on anything. I have read many recommendations, though, to pinch back to encourage flowering. Just be careful that you aren't pinching back where the flowers might be forming!

Alee

The amazing one handed typist! One hand for tpying, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2007 :  11:10:11 PM  Show Profile
Hi Alee--I just discovered that I have 3--count 'em 3--new little green tomatoes.

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2007 :  5:23:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Yay! I noticed I have more coming on in my garden too! I am so excited! That first garden fresh tomato is just around the corner! I can't wait! That first one I am going to just pluck and eat right there in the garden!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2007 :  6:22:33 PM  Show Profile
Sun ripe garden fresh sun warmmed tomatoes YUMMY!! MB

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Trace
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Tracey
Canton New York
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2007 :  7:00:47 PM  Show Profile  Send Trace a Yahoo! Message
Good deal Alee, I can almost see the juice squirting out as your bite into it, yummo.. enjoy it!!!

pics from my world.. http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/tra-dun/
Go to Top of Page

Mikki
True Blue Farmgirl

1510 Posts

Mikki
Austin Indiana
USA
1510 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2007 :  7:32:51 PM  Show Profile
Yummmmmyyyy, mine are forming too! I also have the tiny ones too. They are really coming on fast!

~~Blessings, Mikki Jo

www.mikkijo.etsy.com

http://burningmeadowsprings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2007 :  7:47:36 PM  Show Profile
Oops. I just ate my first tomato. Little cherry one the kids at school grew. The ones I started from seed I saved are lemon sized, but green. Alee, when my veggies come out tiny (like my cukes this year for some reason...maybe they had crossed, they were also saved seed) I just tell my DH that I grow concentrated veggies.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2007 :  8:32:37 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
LOL! Concentrated Veggies! Thats great! I will have to remember that one!

Hugs!

Alee

Alee
Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2007 :  1:03:45 PM  Show Profile
Toasted tomato sandwiches, with a little bit of pepper and mayo. Heavenly...
I've got lots of blooms, so I'm waiting in anticipation for the tomatoes to start forming.

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2007 :  2:18:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
All of my tomaotoes that have formed so far are still pretty small and they are all still green! Why can't one start turning red yet? I am SO ready for my first garden tomato! Really- if just one would turn red- I would be willing to wait a bit for the rest! LOL I just need my garden fresh tomato fix! LOL

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2007 :  3:16:49 PM  Show Profile
Oh how I agree with Alee, I so want that first bite of fresh tomato, a tomato and cheese sandwich. Ohhhh with fresh alfalfa sprouts. I got seeds and need to start them. Yummooooooo. Yes I have a few green ones but they sure as heck are getting ripe near soon enough.
DD got her first one, but her fil brought her ones that had big green tomatoes on them that he had started early. She didn't even share!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoying the moments.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2007 :  4:13:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh no! LOL Poor Carol Sue! I bet our tomatos will be turning red any day now (I Hope!)

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Runbikegrrl
True Blue Farmgirl

250 Posts

MaryAnn
Waterbury Ctr VT
USA
250 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2007 :  5:09:40 PM  Show Profile
My mouth is watering too! I have soooo many buds and quite a few quarter to golf ball sized green tomatoes...I am worried though we have had heavy rain for 3 days and my garden is a swamp we need sun soon or I am going to have problems!

"So many interests so little time!"

http://lovelifelivegrrl.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Runbikegrrl
True Blue Farmgirl

250 Posts

MaryAnn
Waterbury Ctr VT
USA
250 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2007 :  4:43:32 PM  Show Profile
Well I predicted it! Looks like I am going to lose my whole beautiful tomato crop to water wilt. I am heart broken. I can't even believe I am this upset about this! Not just the loss of the tasty tomatoes but all the work...gone! Oh well, my moment of self pity is over some people actually had to evacuate and lost cars and other belongings during this past few days of heavy rain and flooding

"So many interests so little time!"

http://lovelifelivegrrl.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2007 :  06:59:44 AM  Show Profile
So sorry, Maryann. That sucks. Really, truly. I was feeling sorry for myself last night because I have ONE tomato, and it won't turn color!!!! It's been the same size and the same color green for about 2 weeks now. I'm starting to micromanage!!!!

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2007 :  6:49:13 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Maryann- I am so sorry that you lost your crop! Is there any way to replant? Or is it too late in the growing season?

My tomato plants are growing like weeds and I am just waiting for any of them to start turning red. At this point I would be estatic to see even the hint of a blush! :) I know that soon I will probably have more tomatos that I can manage.

I am thinking that unless my plants start getting a move on, I might have to buy some from the farmer's market soon. Rebekka and I really want to can our own tomato sauce and I am sure it will take lots of tomatos to can as much as I want. I figure I use about a quart of tomato sauce a week. So I can manage to put up at least 52-60 quarts then I shouldn't have to buy any from the store. And if I make my own and we have so much put up, then there will be no reason for Doug to buy any from the store! :) I wonder how many bushels of tomatos I will need to can 60 quarts of tomato sauce.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

theoanne
True Blue Farmgirl

282 Posts

teddie
CARROLLTON GA
282 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2007 :  6:43:50 PM  Show Profile
My tomatoes are HUGE! They are as tall as me (atleast 5ft 1") I have never been able to grow anything,but this year my garden is going crazy. DH and I went out again tonight to put more stakes in since they have outgrown the others. We have lots of green tomatoes. I did find 1 ripe yellow tomatoe and brought it in. One side was fine, but the other side had an occupant. The little worm was in there eating his side of my 1st tomatoe! I have tiny peppers and you should see my cucumber plant. I'm so glad that I only put one in since there is only DH and me.
I really wish I knew what I did to make all this grow so well so I could do it again next year. Does anyone know if raised beds grow better tha a regular garden? This garden is raised. GA has been without rain until about 2 weeks ago. now it rains every day and things are really turning green. I think the okra has grown about 6 inches in the last 2 days!!!!
Good luck with you gardens ladies. And Maryann I'm sorry you last your crop,but it sounds like you could have been worse off. Hope your weather settles down soon.
TEDDIE

Too blessed to be stressed!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2007 :  9:14:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Teddie!

Your garden sounds great! I don't know if raised beds grow better or not- but maybe the soil is "fresher" aka has more nutrients since it was brought in? I don't know. But I bet you are having so much fun with having a great garden this year!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2007 :  10:09:11 PM  Show Profile
My little tomato I pictured is turning RED. Yay! MB

Go to Top of Page

AliShuShu
True Blue Farmgirl

150 Posts

Alison
Charlotte NC
USA
150 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2007 :  06:52:05 AM  Show Profile  Send AliShuShu an AOL message  Send AliShuShu a Yahoo! Message
i picked our first cherokee purple yesterday! we have dozens of tomatoes on the vines, but yesterday, finally, one was ready and it is a beautiful specimen!!! a little bumpy, but gorgeous nonetheless... i'm planning on having it for lunch today with cucumbers and a yummy jupiter bell pepper from my garden as well!

Alison
I think that if ever a mortal heard the voice of God it would be in a garden at the cool of the day. ~F. Frankfort Moore, A Garden of Peace
Namaste'
www.shumusings.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Garden Gate: Previous Topic My first tomato! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page