Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Frustrated and Need Help... Puppy Training
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Frustrated and Need Help... Puppy Training Next Topic  

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2007 :  11:56:44 AM  Show Profile
Remember how I found a husky puppy earlier this month and we couldn't find her owners? I think I know why!

This puppy is SO MUCH TROUBLE.

She's destroyed a tv remote, an entire couch, the armchair, our antique cedar chest, 4 separate leashes, an assorted of my favorite dolls, books, and a giant bag full of other things she has found around the house. She's gone through the entire toybox of my older dog's toys and I'm talking about maybe 50 toys. She's even destroyed all those "indestructible" puppy toys that I bought her - usually in hours.

She also chases anything that moves, esp. my cats (all 11) - to the point where the other animals won't come into the house anymore. Not even to eat.

She loves the older dog - to death. And will body slam the older dog when playing with her. Brindi now plays "dead" to avoid having to play with the puppy.

She gets in the trash. She pulls out everything from the cupboards. She finds stuff I didn't even know we had. SHe even climbs bookcases to get stuff off the upper shelves.

I have tried rawhide bones to keep her busy. Playing with her. Basic obedience. We have a "time out" spot (which is only used for short periods because she has the attention span of a gnat.)

She also keeps us up ALL NIGHT with her gnawing and playing. She never seems to sleep...

Help! I don't want to have to get a third dog (another puppy) to keep her entertained, but I am considering it right now.

She's really sweet but she is killing me! Any suggestions? I tried taking her to the farm with us to let her run, but she hides in/under the trailer because it's too hot outside...

Where is Nanny Jo? I need help!

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Edited by - Bluewrenn on Jul 28 2007 11:59:12 AM

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2007 :  2:34:36 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like a little crate training is in order.

The whining/scratching/yelping will drive you CRAZY, but will also teah this pup some basic MANNERS!

Basic obedience takes deadication and A LOT of work over time. If dog classes are offered anywhere near you w/in a 20 mile radius, i'd seriously look into it. Often times instructors can porvide loads of information we might not have thought of. Especially for the "problem children".

Sounds like your pup has a BIG prey drive too. Could be trouble when she is older, and best taken care of NOW if any of your neighbors have cats or chickans or otehr smallish livestock.

Pity for the punks that bred indiscriminantly and left the poor pup!

And lastly, if this is a purebred husky, do some serious reading up on the breed.

I own a Belgian Tervuren and am constantly learning all the time. There's lots to learn about the dog as a species. Nevermind those purebreds that add another dinention as to why they do what they do.
Herding dogs run in large circles around whatever it is they are trying to "herd up", have high energy levels even as adults and are VERY smart.

Dogs that "work" for people need jobs to do...this is why they are destructive and do undesirable things.

I recommend Patricia McConnell Her "Other End of The Leash" is something all dog owners need to read.

good luck with a little time and patience, you could turn this little cutie into a real assett.

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2007 :  3:07:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I would seriously recommend a good WIRE crate and doing some old fashioned alpha dog training.

First of all you would need to get a good chain collar (Sometimes called choke chains but they really are not bad as long as they are used properly). I also would fill a quirt bottle with half water, half regular white vinegar and every time you see her doing something bad say "No!" really firmly and squirt her with the vinegar mix.

Also roll her over and assume the alpha dog position. Especially with huskies, they have a very strong instinct drive and this type of training is not cruel and I know a lot of dog trainers that recommend this. You have to establish yourself as the alpha to gain her respect. In the wild, the alpha dog would be much more aggressive about establishing the alpha role.

I have more advice and will write up an email to you this evening, ok?

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2007 :  5:28:56 PM  Show Profile
Thank you all! We've been doing the alpha dog stuff with her and she is responding appropriately. Even with the older dog. Most of her "hijinks" come when we're asleep or not at home.

We're hoping to do this without having to resort to crate training...sigh

We've been teaching her basic commands over the past couple of weeks and she has mastered "sit" and "down" and in most instances "come," but she is having issues with "stay."

She does very well on a leash now, and absolutely understands "no". She knows she is not allowed to chase the cats, but when they show up unexpectedly, she gets excited and forgets. She has backed off and doesn't try to catch them anymore. Just tries to get them to play with her.

I had huskys as a kid but they were the only pet at the time. I know that they need lots of space to run and we're trying to get her out for walks and running a lot more often but it's hard when we get so busy with work and cleaning up her other messes.

She is housetrained, thankfully, and generally well-behaved except for the chewing/ripping up stufff part. I know that it is a phase due to her teething, but I'm getting tired of it... *waaah*

We tried giving her cold baby carrots (which she loves), ice cubes and rawhides. Those tend to help some.

Any other hints for how to handle teething in puppies? We got her one of those puppy teething toys but she ate it the first night.

Edited by - Bluewrenn on Jul 28 2007 5:36:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2007 :  8:19:40 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sometimes you can get raw or smoked bones from a butcher that are meant for dogs- like cow joints and stuff. I got those for Sky (who is part husky) when she was a puppy and it worked like a charm. Harder than raw hide, but smells yummy to them. Much better than couches! ;)

Alee
Go to Top of Page

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2007 :  8:38:22 PM  Show Profile
Hey Erin! Sorry you are having so much trouble with the pup. I too suggest the crate training. Not something to be in all the time, but when you are not there to supervise which seems to be the time she is getting in trouble. The first few nights will be hard, but once she gets used to it, she will like it. I have a yellow lab & have crate trained him since we brought him home. I used to feel bad keeping him in ther if we were out, but he really likes it. It is his space & makes him feel secure. He will actually go in there when he wants to sleep or take his treat in to chew. Now that he is older (almost 7), he stays out even when we are away & rarely goes in there anymore. We put him in on occasion maybe during dinner or cooking & when new people come over, just to give him a chance to settle down. He gets overly excited with new peeople.

When he chewed as a puppy, he got things like shoes, our window sills, trash, whatever he could find. When he chewed something solid like the window sill, I put a litle hot sauce on it. Believe me, he never chewed them again. I have also read that you can sprinkle chili pepper on the top of the trash in your can. One thing that also worked great for us was bitter apple spray. You can get it at any pet store. It can also be used on hot spots & anything they chew on. My dog to this day will run if he sees the bottle & we haven't used it since he was a pup. For something good to chew on, we bought cow knuckles or a femur w/knuckle, but found the knuckle by itself to be better. They are about $3. Also, make sure she eats it on a floor that is easy to clean, because they can make a mess if on carpet.

Good luck & hope this helps.
Kelly

"Work as if you were to live a hundred years, pray as if you were to die tomorrow." ~Benjamin Franklin~
Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2007 :  05:54:33 AM  Show Profile
Hey Erin,
I adopted a dog with similar traits. We nearly took him back.
The crate training works if ya do it right. Our problem was while we were gone. This dog chewed to pieces the heartworm med that was delivered in a priority mail box!! We thought he would die but he apparently didnt ingest enough to harm him.He also chewed up big things. Then he started getting ON my car-he is huge and so are his 2 inch nails!!!
We resorted to leaving him in a fenced kennel while we were away - solved the chewing problem.He is able to stay out when we are gone now.
But the next thing was that he needed sufficient exercise- not just being free- really running till he was more tired than my 13 yr old!!!This according to a prof. trainer , is the most important thing.
I'm glad we stuck with it- he is a precious dog but 75 lbs of potential destruction was nothing to sneeze at!!By the way- he does the body slam thing too- knocked me off my feet & out of my shoes one day!!:)
Autumn

Isaiah 40:31
But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.

Edited by - DeepsouthMamma on Jul 29 2007 05:59:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2007 :  06:15:25 AM  Show Profile
Hi Erin,

For toys: It sounds like she needs "Kong". This brand of toys is a solid rubber and they have them for little & big dogs. I have never had a dog destroy a Kong toy and they love them. I highly suggest an extra heavy duty crate. Don't look at crates as punishment because a dog should never been placed in one for such. Crates are used as "the dog's space for time to themselves". Even dogs need time by themselves just as we do. As for body slamming, obedience is the way to go and your husband may need to help because of her strength. The bigger breed puppy can start basic obedience at 4-5 months of age. I would also practice some staged sessions with her in a down position and place the cat right in front of her and make her stay down. A third dog is the worst thing you can do right now until you get this one under control which may take up to a year for her to calm down. Spaying her will help her calm down too if you havent' already done that. Good luck.

Tina

The dogs own the house but the people pay the mortgage!
www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2007 :  5:38:01 PM  Show Profile
YES! Do include appropriate toys the pup CAN play with, and nothing that resembles the things you don't want her trashing.

I love shopping for plush toys. Our dog leaves some intact and rips others to shreds. I buy the soft ones with this in mind. Better her toys than my shoes. Jasmine has gone to work on corners of the couch. Again, when we aren't home or when I was too tired. Simply my fault. We will be getting a new chouch later on anyway.

I recommend the pig rawhides. Beef ones swell up when swallowed (thankfully we have not experienced this personally). For some reason the pig does not swell, and digests more easily. you can also try various other animal pieces parts. And don't forget bones from the beef you may buy...UNCOOKED! Cooked bones will splinter easily.

good luck, and again with some work and patience, you can turn this little monster around

The crate training will offer a safe "den" and acceptable place for time outs for you both. Be tough it can work and yes, as amped up as your pup is, I also recommend wire
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2007 :  5:53:11 PM  Show Profile
Thank you. I'll look into getting a crate...

Go to Top of Page

Love-in-a-Mist
True Blue Farmgirl

367 Posts

Shannon
Independence Oregon
USA
367 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2007 :  09:14:09 AM  Show Profile
Check into to craigslist.com for used cheap crates. Also remember a tired dog is a good dog. Maybe take her to play fetch in some water. I am a trainer also and sometimes with puppies like this you have to keep them on a leash in the house and near you at all times never letting them have "free" time to make their own choices. They usually will make the wrong choices like chewing your stuff. When they are being good then you reward them heavily. Eventually they will get the idea and you won't have to do it anymore.
Good luck

http://diaryofafarmerswife.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2007 :  09:47:32 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
There is also something called "bonding training" also sometimes referred to as "Umbilical Training" or "Passive Training".

To do this you put your chain collar one properly, attach the leash and tie the leash around your waist. Leave enough slack that the dog can sit but not lay down when you are standing, and lay down if you are sitting. Then you just go about your day. You don't speak to the dog at all. In fact you completely ignore her unless she does something bad and then you reprimand her. You don't pet or anything. But because the dog is tied to you, she must follow you and stay close to you. Do this for 1/2 hour a day.

This teaches the dog that you are so in control of her and the house that you can make her stay with you even without commands. You are passively controlling her movements. It really is amazing. It really speaks to the dog on an instinctual level telling them that you are in charge. Sky and I are super bonded but when we do this it is like we take our understanding of each other up a few more steps. It is amazing and completely harmless for the dog.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2007 :  3:26:43 PM  Show Profile
I like the idea of making her run in water but Pretty is just NOT a water lover. However, I used a similar technique with an earlier Husky when I lived at the beach. I made Jeremy run in the sand every day. It really wore him out. Unfortunately we don't have the deep sand here in N. Texas, although it might just be worth the effort of making my own "beach". With Pretty, we're using the tall grass here in the backyard for now - she loves playing in it and will burrow in it, runs like crazy and gets caught, flipping herself head ofer heels... Silly stuff.

The passive training technique is also similar to what I did with the older dog. I didn't actually have a leash attached to me, but I kept Brindi with me constantly (within six feet or so) and she is still attached at the hip. Unfortunately now she's finding this greedy little puppy to be quite the pain in the butt because the puppy is always in her way! LOL!

I'm seriously thinking about trying this one, if I can stand it... how long do you have to do it for? And just an hour a day?

Maybe I can combine it with the crate training to give us "time outs" so I can give attention to the other animals too. We're using a lot of safe zone/special time with each animal to give them some undivided attention and a respite from each other. (Luckily we both work from home, so we can spend time to bond with her and train her. It helps a lot, except for those blocks of time when we need to focus on client work and she doesn't understand why she can't have our attention. Poor spoiled baby...)

Thank you all so much for the advice. The puppy really is a good dog. She's just so full of energy and love that she's bouncy and messy! And even though the cats and Brindi act like they don't like her, they are all fascinated by what she does... They are constantly seeking her out, even the feral kittens who watch her 24/7 through the window of the sunroom (where I have them safely sequestered.)

Everyone has perked up a lot since Pretty got here.

Edited by - Bluewrenn on Jul 31 2007 3:35:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2007 :  11:02:05 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Yup- just half an hour a day. That way she is still in a learning stage and not just bored. Just do it a bit everyday and I think you will see a difference happening.

*hugs!*

Alee

Alee
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2007 :  05:18:31 AM  Show Profile
I have had to use the crate training for all of my dogs. I only used it while we were gone for our pit bull, Girl and our first border collie, Pal. Our newest border collie, Cody; I had to use it at night when we went to bed as well. All of them took 2 years before they no longer needed the crate. Cody still goes in the crate on his own when he's scared of something. Crate training works really well as long as it's used as a space for them to be when you leave or go to bed. Even if you're only going to be gone for 5 minutes or if you just go out to get the mail. It's amazing how fast they can tear things up. If they are under 2 years of age; you can't trust them for even a minute. If it's used as punishment, they will learn to dread the crate. And then you'll probably have a struggle on your hands trying to get them in there.

All three of my dogs destroyed every toy we ever brought home for them. Pig knuckles, raw hide, tennis balls, whatever; were eaten and gone within hours. The only toy they couldn't destroy was this knobby, hard rubber ball we got from our vet. I don't even remember the name of it. The only problem with these kind of toys is that you don't want them playing with them inside if they tend to throw them around. They're NOT like nerf and things get broken. But they are wonderful for when they are crated.

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/

We come from Nature, we go back to Nature; health & happiness in between requires intimacy with Nature.
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2007 :  09:56:47 AM  Show Profile
I found a Kong ball on sale and picked it up. Both dogs have beeen playing with it and have been very good lately. Pretty even slept downstairs by herself last night and didn't get into anything. (I know this can't last...)

Anyhow, Pretty was very intrigued by a ball that dispenses treats - "Wow! Where did that come from?" So it was a big hit!

As soon as I can find a crate, I think we'll be trying that in addition to the other stuff.

Since I last talked to you, the dog has been following me around like she's attached at the hip, so I haven't had to actually tie her to me. Granted, I understand that that's not how it works, but it's been nice. Unfortunately I have to pick up some more leads as she had chewed all four of the ones that we had. Maybe a chain lead this time... to go with her new choke chain... (I"m keeping the hardware from the leads she ruined and I'll make new ones but in the meantime, she's getting a chain lead.)

It's been an interesting week - I'm taming some semi-feral kittens at the same time and they are being incorporated into the household. They don't like the puppy much but she keeps getting into the room where I've stashed them and they are getting used to her - as long as she is calm. Once she starts bouncing around or trying to get them to play, all bets are off! But they are taming up quite nicely, and they're so cute...

The other cats are kind of mellow right now due to the increased humidity and the heat, so they are being good too. Whew!

Who needs kids? I have 13 "two year" olds!

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2007 :  11:09:14 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I am glad you found a Kong and it is working for you! It's kindof like keeping a kid engaged and learning so they are out of trouble! :)

Alee
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Frustrated and Need Help... Puppy Training Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page