urban farm girl
True Blue Farmgirl

80 Posts

Melissa
Posen IL
USA
80 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2009 :  5:57:20 PM  Show Profile
That's great Tiffany....I made some for the first time a few months back and just love it!!!
Go to Top of Page

Merry
True Blue Farmgirl

765 Posts

Merry
Ankeny Iowa
USA
765 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2009 :  10:52:34 AM  Show Profile
I have been using my home made laundry soap for several weeks now and I am really pleased! We have a dog that sheds something awful and since using my new soap it seems that more dog hair and lint is in my lint trap, and my clothes feel and smell really clean, no residue! I am also using vinegar in my downy ball, as a fabric softener, its the best. Very very pleased!

http://afarminmyheart.blogspot.com/

"Nobody has ever measured, not even poets how much the heart can hold."
Zelda Fitzgerald
Go to Top of Page

Kerstin
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Kerstin
cedarville New Jersey
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2009 :  6:53:27 PM  Show Profile
Hi I am also using the homemade laundry Detergent from the Duggars, I have one problem, my family LOVES their towels very,very soft and the vinegar does not make them soft enough for them, is there anything else I could use. And also does anybody have a recepie to make detergent for the dishwasher? Love your site. Kerstin
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2009 :  7:11:01 PM  Show Profile
For the past 3 months I have used the same recipe as Alee and I love it.. My clothes smell so nice & clean.. The vinegar really makes them soft.. I will never buy laundry soap again...I have probably got a gallon left so I think I will be making another batch next week,,,

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309
Klamath Falls "Charming Chicks Chapter" Mother Hen

Almost daily posts at:
http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/

Grandmas are mom's with more icing.
Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2009 :  7:43:30 PM  Show Profile
I use 3 tennis balls in my dryer to help soften clothes by bouncing around and fluffing up the towels, plus vinegar in the rinse cycle.

Here is a recipe I use for my dishwasher and it works great!

Dish Washer Detergent ~ Makes enough for 21 loads

1 1/2 cup Borax
1 1/2 cup baking soda
1 cup salt

Mix together. Use 2 tablespoons per load.

**Once a week fill the rinse reservoir with vinegar. Dishes come out shining with no residue.

Good Luck!

Hugs,
Maryjane Lee

Farmgirl #44
Sisters on the Fly #595

http://thebeehivecottage.blogspot.com

http://beehivecottage.etsy.com

Edited by - Maryjane Lee on Apr 14 2009 7:50:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2009 :  8:39:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Do you have hard or soft water MaryJane Lee? Thanks!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2009 :  8:44:22 PM  Show Profile
Alee, we have hard water!

Hugs,
Maryjane Lee

Farmgirl #44
Sisters on the Fly #595

http://thebeehivecottage.blogspot.com

http://beehivecottage.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2009 :  9:08:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Awesome! I will recommend your recipe to my sister who has an automatic dishwasher!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Kerstin
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Kerstin
cedarville New Jersey
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2009 :  5:48:16 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the recepie, will try it a.s.a.p. I use vinegar for the rinse cycle in the washing machine, I guess I have to put the towels for my family into the dryer to keep them happy, even i try not to use it if I dont have to.
Go to Top of Page

Bfriday
True Blue Farmgirl

125 Posts

Jessica
Miles TX
125 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  10:11:15 AM  Show Profile  Send Bfriday an AOL message
Taught a group of 30 stay at home mom's how to make home-made laundry detergent! Sent them all home with a sample to try and they are raving about it! They are hooked!!!! Whoo hooo!

Farmgirl Sister #188
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  11:52:15 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That is great Jessica! What a perfect thing to do for earth day! I love how frugal it is and how clean our clothes come out!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - May 07 2009 :  05:36:37 AM  Show Profile
Kerstin,
Try just tossing your dry towels in the dryer on air fluff with 3-4 tennis balls for 10 minutes! Gets them fluffy again with no heat and not a large amount of dryer time.

quote:
Originally posted by Kerstin

Thanks for the recepie, will try it a.s.a.p. I use vinegar for the rinse cycle in the washing machine, I guess I have to put the towels for my family into the dryer to keep them happy, even i try not to use it if I dont have to.

If it's not illegal, unsafe, or immoral, why not try anything once? Who knows? You may come back for a second helping!
Go to Top of Page

ontariogirl
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Lisa
Dutton Ontario
Canada
15 Posts

Posted - May 13 2009 :  12:48:15 PM  Show Profile  Click to see ontariogirl's MSN Messenger address
Hello
Iam new to this and was wonder where I would find the recipe for the laundry soap. It sounds like something that I would love to make for my family. I use vinegar all the time now for cleaning so this would be a great next step in getting chemicals from my house. :)
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - May 13 2009 :  1:02:32 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Lisa- The "lazy womans" recipe as I dub it is really easy- just combine one box of each:

Washing Soda
Borax
2 lb box of Baking Soda
and approximately 16-17 ounces of Soap (2 cans of Boraxo powdered hand soap is 24 ounces)

combine thoroughly and use about 2 tablespoons up to 1/4 cup per load.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2009 :  09:43:09 AM  Show Profile
~bump~

I have been using home made laundry detergent, and vinegar for softener for over a year now. I will use it until I am too decrepet to grate soap.

It is funny how much I think "Tide" or "All" and "Downey" just stinks to the high Heavens now.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlermom
Farmgirl in Training

47 Posts

Melissa
Logan AL
USA
47 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2010 :  6:56:03 PM  Show Profile
I just made the liquid laundry detergent today. I can't believe it made so much! I don't even have to do the math to figure out it's by far the most cost effective! I can't wait to try the automatic dish deter. Thanks Girls!!!! I wish I had the time to just sit and drink herbal tea and read these posts all day!!!
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2010 :  09:12:15 AM  Show Profile
Ok I have never made home made laundry soap but, really want to try it. I do not know some of the ingredients that have been discussed or where to get them. Can you please help me to get started?
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2010 :  7:58:41 PM  Show Profile
Delicia! I grew up in Cinci(Colerain area),wnet to college at Miami(Oxford) now live in Georgetown OH about 40 miles east of the city. Where are you at??
By the way, I find all of the items at Kroger's. The tricky one is the washig soda. Some other stores carry the borax etc, but I have only found the washing soda at Kroger's. Kroger's also has the Kirk's Castile bar soap(in the bar soap section) & the Fels Naptha(in the laundry section)The Kirk's Castile is not as harsh. But my personal favoritie is the Zote soap. I order it from Lehman's non electric catalog. 3 bars are $3.95. I usually get about 9 at a time. They are HUGE. 3 times the size of a regular bar, & a very clean citronella scent, makes your laundry smell so fresh.
Go to Top of Page

sacredwolf
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Kristy
Narka Kansas
USA
44 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2010 :  12:03:27 PM  Show Profile  Click to see sacredwolf's MSN Messenger address  Send sacredwolf a Yahoo! Message
OK I really need some HELP!!! I was really excited about making some homemade laundry. I have not even had any troubles finding the ingredients. No here is the issue, I do not know how to read. Well not really but I grated up my bar soap then I guess I was to excited or something that I dumped a whole box of washing soda in with the grated soap. Yep all 55 oz. and to top it all of really thought I was doing to right and mixed it all up. I caught my mistake before adding the borax and baking soda but I do not want to waste it and am at a lose. I figure 55 oz comes up to about 7 cups but since I am so horrible at math was wondering it someone could help and offer some suggestion to fix my flubber. Thanks :)
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2010 :  12:33:40 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Kristy- just use my "Lazy Woman's" Recipe up above. Go ahead and dump in the box of borax and about 2lbs of bakings soda, mix super well and you are good to go! Just make sure you put in enough soap- shoot for about 20 ounces of soap if you have dirty clothes or about 17 ounces if they don't tend to get too dirty. Hope that helps!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2010 :  3:29:16 PM  Show Profile
Nubidane, I am in Eastgate so really close to you. I did find everything at Meijers in Eastgate but, have been sick all weekend so not made the laundry soap yet. I did make the Dishwasher detergent last week and my dishes come out with a thin film on them they just do not feel clean. Has anyone ever had that happen if so what should I do to remedy it?
Go to Top of Page

sacredwolf
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Kristy
Narka Kansas
USA
44 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2010 :  3:32:33 PM  Show Profile  Click to see sacredwolf's MSN Messenger address  Send sacredwolf a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Alee, I will try that. Just could not believe that I what I did after I figured it out, even though it should be no surprise to me I do this stuff all the time. ugg THANKS
Go to Top of Page

BarnChickCecily
True Blue Farmgirl

673 Posts

Cecily
Corydon IN
USA
673 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2010 :  2:44:48 PM  Show Profile
I am bumping this up because I am hoping someone can answer... I am getting ready to make the gelled recipe. It calls for 3 cups borax, 3 cups washing soda, and 1 bar of fels naptha... is that enough of the bar soap or should I just keep grating soap until I get 3 cups? From what I read, we should use equal parts of each? Also, my recipe calls to dissolve the bar soap on the stove, then add borax, then add washing soda and stir until grittiness gone. Is that okay to go ahead and add all ingredients? I saw on this forum to wait until the soap had gelled, or cooled to add everything else. I just need some input...

Farmgirl Sister # 241
www.thebarnchick.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2010 :  3:31:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Cecily- One bar of the soap is plenty- you don't need to use equal amounts. And yes you need to disolve the borax and washing soda with heat on the stove otherwise you will get a hardend white floating mass that is pretty much unusable. Then let the mixture sit over night. It continues to gel further even after it cools.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

BarnChickCecily
True Blue Farmgirl

673 Posts

Cecily
Corydon IN