Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Does anyone do Felting?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Does anyone do Felting? Next Topic  

Lena@HickoryGroveFarm
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Marlena
Brunson SC
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2005 :  09:59:14 AM  Show Profile
I am new to the process of felting, and it looks like the perfect fiber art for me! Basically the way it works is carded wool is laid down in layers, wet with soapy water, and agitated until it forms a "skin." Then you agitate it some more, and it turns into felt, which you can make into hats, scarves, jackets, and even "paintings" of a sort. Rugs, toys, sculpture? Anything goes.
I'd love to talk with anyone who knows about this craft.
Just as an aside, most felters use a glass washboard for the agitation, some use a bamboo mat, but I saw a woman on HGTV who used a sander! She used linoleum in place of sand paper, and this looks like the method for me. Faster is better where I'm concerned.
Looking forward to talking with experienced felters or newbies like me!
Lena

Budding Farm Girl and Eccentric Artist
see www.marlenam.com

bubblesnz
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

helen

New Zealand
291 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2005 :  4:41:35 PM  Show Profile
Hiya, you can chat to me I do this.. Becareful, if you are going to get into this, it is very addictiive :)

A great oak, is just a little nut which held it's ground.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2005 :  5:56:15 PM  Show Profile
this is something I have been meaning to do also! I have a couple books and lots of wool so I will try to do some this winter for sure.!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

Lena@HickoryGroveFarm
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Marlena
Brunson SC
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2005 :  11:06:11 AM  Show Profile
I haven't even done it yet, and I am already addicted! I love to do things where I can work with my hands. Plus, I love the practical aspect of being able to make clothing and hats. There is a lady in the "marketplace" board that sells wool, though not merino. She says it is very soft, though.

I think I will start with a ball cap. I know it shrinks 40%, and the basics of it all, but I'm sure it will be one gian experiment. Looking forward to chatting with you both! Also, Jenny, your clothes pins are adorable. Do you take paypal? I think I would like hanging the wash with your good wishes on my pins!
Lena

Budding Farm Girl and member of the Sisterhood of the Traveling Art

see www.marlenam.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2005 :  12:57:00 PM  Show Profile
You are sweet Lena..nope, don't take paypal but will happy to take a check or do trades or whatever..its fun. I have alot of wool too for felting if anyone is interested. It is mostly icelandic and is good for hats and purses and like that. Not that I have done it but have friends that have same sheep as I do and they felt alot.Felts well. Raw or washed..if anyone is interested they can contact me and I will let you know prices and colors I have on hand. (natural colors I mean)
Your talent is amazing Lena..wow!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

PhillyfarmGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Yael
Philadelphia PA
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2005 :  7:26:34 PM  Show Profile  Send PhillyfarmGirl an AOL message
Felting is so much fun! I have done a little of this kind with soaps. I have also done some needle felting. I made the cutest little sheep...they hold me off until I get my real ones. °Ü°
I have also knitted a bag that I felted in the washer.
Lots of fun to be had!
Blessings

Philly Farmgirl

~It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion;
It is easy in solitude to live after our own;
but the great man is he who in the midst of the crowd
keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude.~
~Ralph Waldo Emerson

http://homeschoolblogger.com/PhillyFarmGirl/
Go to Top of Page

Lena@HickoryGroveFarm
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Marlena
Brunson SC
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2005 :  08:40:06 AM  Show Profile
You know, I also wanted to mention that I have "felted" accidentally once, and the experience gave me an idea. The accident involved a great olive-green sweater that my 5 year old boy now wears! Yep, I washed and dried it accidentally, and now it is a much smaller solid felt. It's very warm... So why not use old wool sweaters from thrift shops? I bet you can felt them with roving for design, then cut and sew the resulting felt when you are all done. Or make them into children's sweaters! My niece has another one of these, so it would seem that they make great childrens clothing.

Jenny, consider it done. How much are the pins again? I think you are on the mail art list, so I'll send you a check. Looking forward to having my pins! I think I want chicken, egg, and farm-y stuff. Deal?

see www.marlenam.com
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2005 :  07:57:48 AM  Show Profile
Check out the "topics" section at the top of this page - some time ago I had some questions about felting wool and we had a topic going on it.

Cecelia

ce's farm

"Curiosity is one of the forms of feminine bravery" Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

Lena@HickoryGroveFarm
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Marlena
Brunson SC
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2005 :  09:08:46 AM  Show Profile
Helen in New Zealand pointed out this site to me, and it is really wonderful: http:// www.feltingforum.com. You can learn so much there! Thanks Helen!
Lena

see www.marlenam.com
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Does anyone do Felting? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page