Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2007 :  7:01:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Anyone have a good recipe for the wrapping on a blintz? I had some on Sunday and I am just craving more so bad! LOL

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2007 :  9:32:32 PM  Show Profile
Oh, I love cheese blintz - I don't have a recipe, but oh, I love cheese blintz!
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2007 :  9:43:20 PM  Show Profile
Man if you find one please let me know, Dh's grandmother made them and there were one of his favorite things but haven't found one yet.
Carol Sue

Enjoying life.
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2007 :  9:50:29 PM  Show Profile
Carol Sue - you have a cooking/baking wizard in your family - I'll bet he could adapt that biscuit recipe to blintz.........
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2007 :  9:54:35 PM  Show Profile
Had a thought I have 3 Amish Country Cookbooks vol 1,2 ,3
No luck drat but reminded me Alee here is a fabulous coleslaw recipe.

Everlasting Cole Slaw
1 med head cabbage
1 carrot
2 small onions
1 cup celery
1 green pepper
1/2 cup vinegar
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon mustard seed
1 teaspoon celery seed
sal and pepper to taste
Cut all of this fine and mix well. Store, covered in the refrigerator and use as needed. Will keep for quite a while
Katie Cross

We love this coleslaw and when you mentioned the vinegar, I was going to email you this and forgot.

Now all I can think about is those blintz's. ughhhhhh

Enjoying life.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2007 :  10:31:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
okay I found this recipe and I am SO going to try it. I am also going to call the head chef at the hotel and see if I can finagle the recipe from him! LOL
http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/cheese-blintzes-a-recipe.htm

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2007 :  11:32:51 PM  Show Profile
Yeah, Alee you found it, can't wait for pay day to get to get a couple of the ingredients.

Enjoying life.
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2007 :  08:04:41 AM  Show Profile
Alee,
Recipe from Juniors Deli/Brooklyn NY cookbook.
Crepes
1 c. all purpose flour
3 tblsp sugar
1 tblsp cornstarch
4 extra large eggs
1 cup water
2 tblsp unsalted butter plus 2-3 tblsp for baking crepes and filled blintzes
1 tblsp vegetable oil
Mix flour, sugar and cornstarch in small bowl and set aside
Using electric mixer on high speed, beat eggs, water, butter and oil until light yellow. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture all at once, mixing just until white disappears. Do not overbeat as it will make the crepes tough.
Preheat a crepe pan or 6" skillet with sloping sides until a drop of water sizzles. Brush with butter, coating well.
For each crepe, pour about 1/4 cup batter into the pan and immediately tilt pan so the batter covers the bottom. Cook about 30 seconds, until the underside is golden brown (lift edge to check). Loosen by shaking pan and gently flip over, cooking the other side just about 15 seconds, just until set. Turn onto cooling rack, light side up. Can be refrigerated up to 2 days or frozen for up to 1 month.
Filling
1# cream cheese...regular, not light
1 c. large curd cottage cheese (pot cheese)
2/3 c. sugar
1 tsp vanilla
Stir all ingredients in small bowl until mixed
To fill crepes, spoon about 3 tblsp filling on center of light side. Fold like an envelope, enclosing filling.
To cook, melt 2-3 tblsp butter in large skillet and place blintzes folded side down. Cook until golden brown, turning only once, about 5 minutes
Served with applesause, sour cream or Fresh Strawberry sauce

Ronna's notes:
Batter can be made in blender or Cuisinart, be careful not to overmix.
Traditional filling is made with hoop cheese, similar to cream cheese, but hard to find except in Jewish areas at high holiday times.
Ricotta can be used in place of cottage cheese, I think it is smoother and bland enough to not overshadow whatever topping you use.
Blintzes can easily be made ahead of time and stacked with wax paper or parchment to keep from sticking. Reason for turning only once is to keep from tearing or splitting wrappers, they're fragile when cooked.
With a little practice, the crepes cook up fast and easy. Thin is best, you want the batter to cover the bottom of the pan quickly. A well seasoned egg pan or nonstick skillet is best. If one should tear when turned, just be sure to enlose that part when filling them. Reason for frying folded side down first is the heat will seal the edges to keep filling inside.
The man I bought my 50's era KitchenAid mixer from was a caterer and made the blintzes for one of the jewish deli's I worked at. Best $100 I ever spent! When he closed the business, I bought some of his equipment.
My mother was Jewish, though there was never any religion in her family other than my grandmother buying kosher chickens.
It's been 15 or more years since I've made blintzes, really don't know if using water or milk is better in the crepe. You may want to experiment, since that part is inexpensive. The milk might make it more tender. I used to make many dozens and freeze, like I do when I make tamales.
Enjoy!
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2007 :  12:02:37 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
OKay- So I found out that the blintzes from the hotel are bought frozen! LOL But I am going to buy some of them from the hotel anyway! :P

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2007 :  9:57:08 PM  Show Profile
I just make the crepes recipe from the old Joy of Cooking (flour, milk, eggs, a little sugar, vanilla). For the filling, I just use ricotta cheese, confectioner's sugar and more vanilla. Butter in the pan, of course. (I melt mine in the microwave and let the curdy stuff sink to the bottom and use only the clear (clarified) butter at the top, minus any foam; doesn't smoke and burn that way. I love my blintzes with warmed-up strawberry jam and sour cream. There used to be a frozen brand called Goldenburg's, I think, that were pretty good. Haven't seen them lately, though.
Go to Top of Page

EllynAnne
True Blue Farmgirl

108 Posts

EllynAnne
Pueblo CO
108 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2007 :  1:46:27 PM  Show Profile
Hey! I have two blintz recipes, one the standard, one a tad innovative. Both are delicious. I'm using the second in my book, but it's not a family recipe or a secret, so enjoy!

1. Make crepes
2. In cooled crepe, place filling, fold like an envelope, fry in butter on both sides until lightly browned.
Filling: Combine 1 lb ricotta, 1 8oz pkg cream cheese, 1 egg, 1 T sour cream, 1 T sugar, pinch salt, dash cinnamon

Berry Topped Blintz Bake
4 oz cream cheese softened, 1 8 oz. container small curd cottage cheese, 3 eggs plus 1 egg yolk, 1/4 cup plus 1 T sugar, 1/2 cup plus 1 T flour, 3/4 teaspoon vanilla, 3/4 cup sour cream, 1/4 cup milk, 1/4 cup melted butter, 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel, 1 teaspoon baking power.
Preheat oven to 350. Butter 8-inch square pan. Place in blender the cream cheese, cottage cheese, egg yolk, 1 T sugar, 1 T flour, the vanilla. Blend on low til smooth. Transfer mixture to a bowl. Do not wash blender. Place 3 eggs, sour cream, milk, butter and lemon peel in blender. Blend on medium speed til smoth. Add combined 1/2 cup flour, 1/4 cup sugar and the 1 teaspoon baking powder. Blend on high til smooth.
Pour half the batter into the baking dish. Drop small sppoonfuls of cheese mixture in evenly spaced rows on top of batter. Pour remaining batter on top. Bake until puffy and edges begin to turn golden, 45 minutes maybe.
Cool a few minutes, then cut into squares and serve. Topping: berries & sour cream.

EllynAnne
www.apronmemories.com

Tie One On...an apron, of course!

Edited by - EllynAnne on Aug 06 2007 1:50:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2007 :  7:21:37 PM  Show Profile
EllyAnne,
Your berry topped blintz bake recipe has me confused. There are no filled blintzes in the dish, just the two filling and batter mixtures? And, did the berries get lost somewhere? If you're going to put the recipe in your book, better to work out the written kinks now :)
My cousin makes a Blintz casserole which starts with a package of frozen blintzes from Trader Joe's. Shouldn't surprise me, cooking is not one of her favorite past times; shopping at Macy's or Nordstrom's is more her style. She tells me she didn't know anyone made Chicken Pot Pie or Baked Ham, thought those were always bought ready to eat!
Please let us know the rest of the recipe, ingredients sound wonderful.
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

EllynAnne
True Blue Farmgirl

108 Posts

EllynAnne
Pueblo CO
108 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2007 :  8:07:04 PM  Show Profile
Hey! I could see what the Blintz Bake looks like as I typed the recipe, but I obviously neglected to make that vision clear. So, thank you for taking the time to critique my presentation!

This BB is an alternative to making individual crepes, filling each and frying them up. This recipe takes the yummiest ingredients of a blintz and bakes those ingredients in a pan. The topping is fresh berries and a dollop of sour cream.

Can you see it now?

Appreciatively, EllynAnne
www.apronmemories.com

Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2007 :  08:06:31 AM  Show Profile
Now it makes sense and sounds yummy. My end of day brain fog was likely to blame, so thanks for the clarification.
Ronna
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Blintz recipe? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page