Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2007 :  11:18:47 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I have notices that a lot of you grow daylillies. I had never heard of this plant before and did a quick google search. They seem like they are really beautiful. But I read that some plants cost as much as $500 for a single plant! Holy Cow!

So since I know virtually nothing about them- could someone please tell me more? Where do you plant them? What kind of soil/water do they need? How do they reproduce?

Thanks!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2007 :  12:04:46 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Funny you should ask about them now, Alee! LOL I just wrote an article for Tina Michelle's 'Small Town Living' magazine about this very thing! They are sun loving plants and very drought tolerant. And you can get gorgeous varieties for very little expense. My dh and I have been selling them $5.00 a double fan(two plants) at a local famer's market this summer. There is a national daylily price guide, but we've just been selling them all for the same price. The ones you talk about for $500.00 would be brand new, just out in limited numbers cultivars, hybridized by top people like Curt Hanson of Crintonic Farm or John Rice of Thoroughbred Farm. But they all come down in price,like anything else, once they've been on the market for a few years.

They do well in almost any soil. We have a heavy soil at the farm, which we do loosen up with a little compost, manure, etc. They also multiply well. They can be divided every few years.

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2007 :  1:33:51 PM  Show Profile
Tina Michelle's magazine sounds interesting, does she take subscriptions??

Blessings,

Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2007 :  2:15:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Jodi - right now, it's only online. You can see all the issues online at:
http://stliving.net/

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2007 :  3:17:48 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, I checked it out, and I am going to have soo much fun reading them! :)

Blessings,

Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2007 :  3:21:19 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Janice for sharing the info.
Yes, right now we are "online only".
We are gearing up to post our Aug./Sept. issue soon.
If you want added to the email notification list please just send me an email and I'll add you to the list of folks to be notified when a new issue is online.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4739 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4739 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2007 :  6:38:36 PM  Show Profile
Daylilies are a staple flower here in IL. Everyone seems to have them growing somewhere in their yard. They do great in our heavy clay soil and tolerate our dramatic weather (freezing winters, hot summers, rain or drought). I divide mine every 3 years in September. We have a daylily farm here by us called "The Fields". They also own an island in Italy where they breed their own new varieties. We go every July to see their beautiful gardens & greenhouse. I bought a daylily last year from them that is really showing off this summer. A daylily is quite reliable & asks for nothing in return.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2007 :  6:54:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
How big do they get? I might have to plant a bunch next year! I know I don't own this property but I still want to leave it beautiful when we go! :)

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4739 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4739 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2007 :  11:17:59 AM  Show Profile
The plant itself gets about 2-3' tall and the flower stalks grow about 1-2' above that. It depends on how much sun they get. I have a very shady yard, so the few spots that get more sun makes them grow even taller. They are great for borders, put in the back of course, or on their own. They will spread out, so give them lots of room.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2007 :  11:40:50 AM  Show Profile
I absolutely adore daylilies also..that's why I asked Janice to share the info in our magazine.:0) I will for sure have to acquire some more varieties of them for my yard this year.
One can not have too many of this easy to grow flower...and if you do happen to you wind up with "too many" you can always share them with a friend.:0)
And gracious..they come in so many, many different colors too.

visit me at:
and at www.stliving.net
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2007 :  06:39:34 AM  Show Profile
I have some beautiful 'night-blooming' daylilies -- lemon fragrance. They actually open up at about 6 in the evening and stay open all evening and til midmorning. Very graceful, elongated blooms. Will post a pic on my blog. They were a pass-along plant from a friend's garden. Love daylilies! And love generous garden-friends!

www.youaretoocreative.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2007 :  6:26:50 PM  Show Profile
Our new house came complete with *tons* of daylilies. Mostly orange ones, but there's a little clump of yellow ones too. I swear they must be as old as our house (which is 94 years old!) I didn't have any experience with them before, but from what I've seen this summer, daylilies can take just about anything. My soil here is very clay-like also, and I water them every day when I water all of my other flowers.
Does anyone know...is it best to divide them in the spring, or in the fall?

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2007 :  10:14:15 PM  Show Profile
If you want to see Janice's article about the daylilies check out the new issue of Small Town Living:

Wanted to let you all know that the new Aug./Sept. issue of Small Town Living is now online.

www.stliving.net

It's our largest issue to date.

A special thanks to our contributors...you all know who you are..I don't want to spoil it for our readers...but we had alot of gals from the forums here to "jump on the wagon and give writing a go" this time around.Thanks so very much gals!

Enjoy the new issue..it's alot of fun.

visit me at:
and at www.stliving.net
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Tell me about Daylillies? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page