Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2007 :  7:19:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I am going to be making a fairly simple but lovely Silky bath powder to sell at the Farmer's Market. Since it is so easy to make- I am worried that if I say what is in it- people won't buy from me- they will make their own. So how do I handle ingredient inquiries? It's not edible so I don't think I have to list my ingredients do I?

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2007 :  7:44:19 PM  Show Profile
Personally, I like to know what's in anything I'm going to use on my body because I tend to have allergic reactions to certain things...should someone have an allergic reaction it would probably be easier for them to know what's in it so they can be sure what could be causing the problem. I also think that it's generally better and more appealing to have someone be up front with me about what's in the products they may buy. I won't lie, I'm a lazy person about making things like that so if a product looks like something I'd like then I'm likely to buy it no matter how easy it may be to make. Now that's not how everyone else is, alot depends on your area and how hands on people are with their personal products.

http://ruby--slippers.blogspot.com/
www.leezard.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2007 :  8:11:15 PM  Show Profile
mmm...tricky question. HAve you looked at other bath products to see how they are labled? The truth is no matter what you make yourself if it is handmade there is always SOMEONE out there that will choose to make it themselves rather than buy it. I have been that person before with crafted items. Personally I wouldn't know the first thing about making bath products even if I had a list of ingredients. I would however be interested in knowing so like Elizabeth I knew what I was putting on my body. You don't have to reveal quantities or anything but I think listing what is used is probably a good idea.

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2007 :  8:22:14 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for the ideas ladies. Since it is basically just baking soda, dry milk (or not depending on the bath soak) some coloring (or not depending on the soak! LOL) and sometimes some fragrance, it is pretty easy. Tonight I made some vanilla that is just amazing and is a beautiful blue/green. It even colored the water the exact same color- no watering down or anything. I didn't want to over do it on the fragrance so while it smells strong when dry, once in the bath is was just a light sublt fragrance and now I smell a little like vanilla. :) Doug even likes it!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2007 :  06:35:50 AM  Show Profile
Even at that easy, I probably still wouldn't make it for myself...lol Sounds like a very nice product that could be a nice seller :)

http://ruby--slippers.blogspot.com/
www.leezard.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2007 :  08:45:51 AM  Show Profile
Alee,

I agree with the others, I always check for ingredients - especially in homemade products, and I suggest listing the ingredients in predominant order that each ingredient is used. So many of us have reactions to things and it's best to see the ingredients and decide if anything is a concern, or is safe enough to try if the ingredient concerned is foudn near the end of the ingredient list.

How are you planning to package them? Clear glass/plastic jars or bags? This sounds like a lovely product that people will definitely buy for themselves, or as gifts. You could put together some nice bath kits that include a loofah, bottle of body cream or lotion, etc.

Good luck and let us know how you do!

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2007 :  10:46:51 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I am putting them in the Pint sized milk bottles and sealing them with parafin wax. I am embedding a lace handle in the parafin wax so it is easier to lift out and can continue to be used as a cap one they break the seal. I will post a picture soon!

Thanks ladies!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2007 :  10:48:31 AM  Show Profile
Sounds nice!

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"
Go to Top of Page

babs
True Blue Farmgirl

226 Posts

Babette
MN
USA
226 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2007 :  2:42:46 PM  Show Profile
Alee, you are required by LAW to follow all rules for the labeling of anything used as a cosmetic. http://www.fda.gov/ora/inspect_ref/igs/cosmet.html - and apparently they do have the right to come into your home and inspect your production and test your products for microbes.

As to someone wanting to copy you... oh honey I have so been there, several times even. Most seasoned sellers will tell you thats just the mark of a good product. But you could tell us whats in it, we could make our own, and is still going to be a shy bit different because everyone is going to be more heavy handed on one ingredient than another. Its the way YOU put it together that makes it your unique product.

I certainly would not let the worry of being copied prevent you from conforming to the law.

HTH :)
Babs

Laundry Soap at Etsy: www.mugwortmaggies.etsy.com
Connect to me on Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/mugwortmaggie

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2007 :  3:22:41 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like the way you will be packaging it will be so special that not many people will hesitate to buy it~! I know I wouldn't..sounds so nice!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2007 :  3:54:40 PM  Show Profile
Hey Alee,

You may want to talk to Frannie about making you some unique labels and hang tags for your product She's really creative and loves to do it! Here is a topic where she is talking about it...She is making some tags for Sherri, I believe, that sews quilts and children's clothing.

http://www.maryjanesfarm.com/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12167

And honey, anytime a creative design or presentation surfaces....others are inspired by it...they want to make it too...LOL

The good news is that everyone has their own "expression" of a design or product and that's all that can be copyrighted anyway! So that's why your containers, labels and hangtags are so very important...that's what "brands" your product and makes people want to buy it.

There are tons of cosmetic related products that are identical as far as the ingredients are concerned..You build a brand for yourself so people will want your product over another one

Marketing is a huge part of selling yourself and your products..You need to check out this market to see if there are any others that are selling similar products..That can hurt you from the beginning if the market is over populated with similar products like yours.

Good Luck....would love to hear your updates and what you are doing!

...til next time ~ queenofdreamsz

www.dreamkingdomdesigns.com/apronpocketswap.html
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.com/artfulapronswap.html

www.dreamkingdomdesigns.blogspot.com

"hold close your inner child and always listen to the gentle whispers" ~queenofdreamsz
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2007 :  8:25:32 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I'm a little grumpy today. I was juried for the Farmer's Market successfully (yay!) but was told that there was no chance of getting on for this weekend. So I didn't make a whole lot of product thinking that there was plenty of time if I had to wait a week and a half. I also didn't have any change laying around for use at the farmer's market. So this morning I got a call at 7:30 asking if I wanted to be in the Farmer's Market. I explained to the gentleman that I was told it wasn't going to be an option for this week and he said "Actually we have a lot of spaces this week" Unfortunatly I didn't think taking only 8 bottles of product would be a good idea especially with no change. Oh well. Hopefully next week I can get a space!

I will post ingredients on my label. Hopefully people will be kind enough to buy from me and not steal my idea :)

Alee
Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Ingredients question. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page