Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Entrepreneurship
 Piggy Bank for Grownup Farmgirls?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Piggy Bank for Grownup Farmgirls? Next Topic  

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2007 :  2:33:48 PM  Show Profile
Didn't know where else to put this post, but I figure entrpreneurial farmgirls would know best!

I have a nice little settlement coming my way from a personal injury lawsuit I initiated against a certain big-box retail store that I'm sure I shouldn't name until the check clears. I'm thinking of using some of it to try investing in a money market fund that will allow a fairly small minimum investment for the cowardly. I've never done anything like that before, but at age 59 and counting, I think maybe it's time to give it a shot!

What do you gals think about this sorta thing? Ever tried it yourself? Any advice on how to get started?

Edited by - Rosemary on Jul 24 2007 2:43:01 PM

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2007 :  5:28:02 PM  Show Profile
Rosemary -- my best advice would be to contact a financial advisor that your trust or go to your bank. A money market might not be the best because they're not paying much right now. We're fairly close in age and our financial advisor said we're better off being more on the conservative side of things. Why not check into a CD? If you don't need the money to be liquid then you could probably get a pretty good rate on a longer term CD.

http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com

http://cottageramblings.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Tracey
True Blue Farmgirl

766 Posts

Tracey
State of Confusion
USA
766 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2007 :  6:31:48 PM  Show Profile
Oh, golly, I've no clue...but congrats on getting a wee bit of $$ in your pocket (too bad it happened at the expense of an injury!)

Please Vote For Me!
http://www.blogforayear.com/profiles/desperate-horsewife

http://carpentercreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2007 :  6:37:39 PM  Show Profile
I'm dying to know which store - I know which store I HOPE it is!
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2007 :  6:39:50 PM  Show Profile
My husband and I always put our "extra" money into CD's. They get a REALLY good interest rate and there are varying types that last different lengths. We like the CD's because you have to actually go in the bank and fill out papers to get the money out and while that isn't difficult it does cut down on the temptation to go get out that extra money and blow it on something. Also we get a nice little statement in the mail everymonth telling us how much interest we made. It's like getting free money.

When we first got married we bought stocks in several airlines and in Tyson (not my idea!!!!). Well shortly after 9-11 happened and the airline stocks plumeted. Tyson got in some big beef lawsuit(not surprised) and that stock fell. I never wanted to invest in stocks but when we first married I wasn't working yet so the money was really my husbands so I let him have his way. He lets me say "I told you so" every time it comes up so it worked out! :) I would probably never buy stock again though!

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2007 :  7:16:04 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
CD's are great and I like my money market with paypal. I consistently get 5% with paypal whereas my savings account is only around 1%. The only reason I don't have a CD is they normally have a minimum amount to start around $1,000 and I never have had that much to spend.

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2007 :  8:13:39 PM  Show Profile
We can get CD's as low as $500 at our bank and you can go from 1 month to 5 years in length. Also if you did NEED the money they usually just charge you a penalty for the last interest payment. So say on your last monthly statement you made $4.32 interest - that would be your seperation penalty for ending your CD early.

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2007 :  06:20:08 AM  Show Profile
Rosemary-We have always been told diversity is best , don't put all of it in one spot. 1/3 stocks, 1/3 mutual funds and 1/3 more ready $$ like a money market,cd's (though you do pay early withdraw penalties which can be steep depending on the institution).
A financial planner will know about things that we never even hear about. Ask friends if they know of one they are happy with. Good luck with your "nest egg".

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2007 :  08:31:58 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, ladies. Good advice. I'd forgotten that PayPal offers a money market fund. CDs are a good suggestion, too. My "windfall" isn't quite large enough to warrant going to a financial advisor (I imagine they'd just laugh at me), nor would it allow for much diversification, given the minimum amounts involved in most kinds of investment. After I pay off a few bills (whew! what a R-E-L-I-E-F!) I'll only have about $2,500 left over. But I don't want to piss it away, you know? I'd like to do something meaningful with it. (Charities are already covered.)

Edited by - Rosemary on Jul 25 2007 10:18:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2007 :  10:18:44 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by mikesgirl

I'm dying to know which store - I know which store I HOPE it is!

Think smiley faces. ;-)
Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Piggy Bank for Grownup Farmgirls? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page