Author **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Howdy! Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

3 Posts

Jennifer
Wilmington DE
3 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2005 :  05:26:44 AM  Show Profile
My name is jennifer, and i am a farm girl at heart who is and always has been trapped in suburbia. I am looking for advice, and opportunities to get my hands dirty and learn. Most of my life i spent working with wildlife, and then decided the dream of owning a flower farm, and a place where people could come and reconnect with nature needed to happen. That was three years ago. I worked in a flower nursery for two years, and currently have been running my own garden maintanence business for a about a year.

I should be working right now, but.....

There are a lot of internships out there, but anything with any length of time just doesn't seem possible. I am 37 and while i am not in debt i do have bills to pay (stipends don't pay the bills), and i have 2 dogs, 2 cats, and a parrot that i cannot abandon for up to 3-6 months or even a year for an internship.

I need a job. I know that i don't have a lot of farming experience, but i am a hard and determined worker. Every job i have ever had began with no experience, and has led to great things. This is because of my work ethic, and the fact that i have chosen jobs that i am passionate about. I am passionate about gardening/farming.

I need to start some where, and I need to take the next step and get some actual farm experience.

I am reaching out, but am not looking for a break, just an opportunity. May be some one out there is having so much success it is time to take on some farm hands.

I didn't start this message with the intention of making it a resume or request for a job, but it seems to be the direction it has taken.

I better get to work. I suppose this sounds like a desperate call, and i guess it is. I am drowning in a sea of manicured lawns. Like my business name "Thyme to Bloom", it is time for me to bloom!

Thanks,
Jen

Help, farm girl trapped in suburbia

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2005 :  06:29:46 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Jen! Have you tried Local Harvest? You type in your zip code and get back a list of farms in your area that have listed themselves on the site. There's a place to contact each farm through the site. www.localharvest.org

Robin
Thyme For Ewe Farm
www.thymeforewe.com

Edited by - ThymeForEweFarm on Jul 20 2005 06:30:37 AM
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

3 Posts

Jennifer
Wilmington DE
3 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2005 :  05:04:50 AM  Show Profile
Robin,

This looks like a great resource. Thank you very much. I have already emailed a farm regarding some work. happy farming! Jen

Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2005 :  06:45:43 AM  Show Profile
Hi Jennifer, welcome to the group and good luck with your dream-job search!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain. If I can ease one life the Aching or cool one pain, or help one fainting robin unto his nest again, I shall not live in vain" ~Emily Dickinson

**When life throws scraps your way ~ Make a Quilt!**

Sisterhood of the Traveling Art
Go to Top of Page

Nicol
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Nicol

200 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2005 :  07:49:40 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Jenny! Hopefully you will find your dream job!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

3 Posts

Jennifer
Wilmington DE
3 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2005 :  11:11:12 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for all of the well wish'n i appreciate it. I have never been very good at reaching out to people. nature has always been my shelter and reason. Ultimatley the farm will be how i reach out to people. It sure does feel nice when people reach back, so thank you. Kind words and positive energy go thousands of miles to every where.

jen

Go to Top of Page

PhillyfarmGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Yael
Philadelphia PA
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2005 :  07:31:34 AM  Show Profile  Send PhillyfarmGirl an AOL message
You are so welcome here! I am sure you will learn much from all the wonderful ladies on this forum. I am also a displaced country girl living in the big city. I wish you all the best and much success as you pursue your dreams.
Blessings,

Philly Farmgirl

~It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion;
It is easy in solitude to live after our own;
but the great man is he who in the midst of the crowd
keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude.~
~Ralph Waldo Emerson

http://homeschoolblogger.com/PhillyFarmGirl/
Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Howdy! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly