MaryJane
Queen Bee

16374 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16374 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2007 :  8:14:35 PM  Show Profile
I don't know where this idea has been all my life BUT I simply must share an amazing dessert that I discovered tonight.

Our freezers are filling up with frozen blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries. So, here I am after eating a fabulous stir-fry of peas, onions, zucchini and salmon, when I just had to have some ice cream. Well, it would be silly to drive to town, not to mention I have many projects that still need completion tonight so I took some frozen blueberries and raspberries out of the freezer (we freeze them on cookie sheets first and then put them into freezer baggies so they aren’t stuck together), and then I poured some half and half on them in a bowl. Voila! I stirred the mass a few times with a spoon. Much to my surprise, the cream started to completely coat each berry--the cream FROZE to each one immediately. There wasn’t any cream left in the bottom of the bowl, just a luscious bowl of white, cream-coated COLD berries. I ate three bowls. You must try it--instant ice cream but without the sugar, etc. Hope you’re having a fabulous summer and enjoying the berry best life has to offer.

MaryJane

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2007 :  8:20:12 PM  Show Profile
That sounds awesome! My mom loves ice cream but is always trying to watch her weight. Blueberries are her favorite food. She'll love it!
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2007 :  8:23:57 PM  Show Profile
sounds really good.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

The Handmaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Kim
Shreveport Louisiana
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2007 :  8:39:16 PM  Show Profile
Too funny! I just made the same discovery while eating frozen blueberries on my bran ceral in the morning. YUMMY! I must confess the next couple of days I skipped the cereal and upgraded from 1% milk to cream. Does that mean I'm having dessert for breakfast?? So be it...simple pleasures!

I use to freeze my blueberries the same way you do until this year. The grower where I pick insisted I not wash them and freeze them right away in the big bag he put them into. None of them stuck together and I wash what I need when I'm ready to use. It still makes me feel alittle funny tho' going against what I've always been taught.

"Faith shall finish all that Hope begins."

joan walsh anglund
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2007 :  9:50:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for the great tip MaryJane! That wounds wonderful! Next time I go grocery shopping I will have to pick up some cream so we can try this! Yummy!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2007 :  10:03:21 PM  Show Profile
When I was doing WW, I used to stir frozen blueberries into plain yogurt and it was really good. It did the same thing - crystalized the yogurt around the berries.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2007 :  10:16:19 PM  Show Profile
Oh..I love that...do it alot!! I have done it with just milk, but it is SO much better with half and half ..fresh of course!! YUM..it is my favorite dessert for sure!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2007 :  06:03:00 AM  Show Profile
MaryJane
Your discovery is a regular down here. We use blackberries, which are plentiful and the kids look forward to the first bowl of "berry-cream" every summer.
Wish raspberries were avaviable- they are very expensive but I love their flavor!
Autumn
in Louisiana

Isaiah 40:31
But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2007 :  06:26:46 AM  Show Profile
Yum! That sounds wonderful!

When I have frozen berries, I bake them in a pan with brown sugar, cinnamon, and a splash of sherry. It makes a wonderful compote that's good on ice cream or hot cereal or just by itself. The last time I used frozen cranberries, raspberries, and blueberries and jarred sour cherries in light syrup.
Go to Top of Page

chessie
True Blue Farmgirl

403 Posts

Karen
Vista CA
USA
403 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2007 :  9:12:11 PM  Show Profile
Dear MaryJane and all farmerettes, (my first post, by the way! Should introduce myself somethyme... ) This delicious discovery reminds me of this instant ice cream recipe; Put frozen berries in a blender or food processor and chop them - while the machine is going, pour in cream & by golly you get instant ice cream! You can sugar the berries if you wish. Cheers, Karen England - the Edgehill Herb Farmer, Vista, Ca.

www.edgehillherbfarm.com "where the name is bigger than the farm, but no one seems to mind"
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2007 :  10:16:52 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Karen!! That sounds yummy!!!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  09:55:20 AM  Show Profile
Back in our dating days, my husband showed me how to do this with frozen cherries and milk. It was his special treat dessert. Isn't it cool how the milk sticks to the cherries? Tasty too. These days we usually use vanilla soy milk. Better than plain, I think, and a lighter option than half and half.
Go to Top of Page

LisaLu
True Blue Farmgirl

126 Posts

Lisa
Wildomar Ca
USA
126 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2007 :  09:44:58 AM  Show Profile
Karen: Guess what I'm having for dessert tonight??? Hey, we're pratically neighbors, I just joined up today, so I'm very new at this.
I just found out there is a chapter in Murrieta with only 2 farmgirls, is there one in Vista?

Happiness is homemade...
Go to Top of Page

nitere
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Amy
Hickory NC
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2007 :  10:26:24 AM  Show Profile
yummy. i would try this right now, but i only have the berries and no cream

http://www.buraellen.blogspot.com

Edited by - nitere on Aug 17 2007 10:26:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

chessie
True Blue Farmgirl

403 Posts

Karen
Vista CA
USA
403 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2007 :  1:48:37 PM  Show Profile
Oh Lisa, I want to meet ya! Where exactly is your wildofarm? I have started a farmgirl chapter and my Mom, neighbor and friends joined! Probably to appease me. I hope you'll consider joining too! All i have done so far in regard to the chapter, which I call the "Edgehill Herb Farmgirls", is to dissect a vintage apron legacy that my Mother recently gave me. 11 totally darling, but apparently unwanted, aprons that were made by my Mother's dear friend's grandmother. The friend gave them to mom to be cut up for quilts (Egad!) But Mom knew better and gave them to me. My neighbor and I had a chapter work meeting and she made a pattern from them (they are all from the same original pattern but with several variations) and we are planning to give a copy to each of our Edgehill Herb Farmgirl chapter members as a special thank you gift for joining. Then we can all wear our chapter aprons to our meetings. If you joined the mUrrieta group, that's great, since that means now they'll have three & I don't want to steal farmgirls. But it's tempting...Cheers, Karen

quote:
Originally posted by LisaLu

Karen: Guess what I'm having for dessert tonight??? Hey, we're pratically neighbors, I just joined up today, so I'm very new at this.
I just found out there is a chapter in Murrieta with only 2 farmgirls, is there one in Vista?

Happiness is homemade...

www.edgehillherbfarm.com "where the name is bigger than the farm, but no one seems to mind"
Go to Top of Page

chessie
True Blue Farmgirl

403 Posts

Karen
Vista CA
USA
403 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2007 :  1:50:17 PM  Show Profile
Try it with half and half or milk! bet you'll love it...

quote:
Originally posted by nitere

yummy. i would try this right now, but i only have the berries and no cream

http://www.buraellen.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Amazing Dessert Discovery Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page