shelle
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Shelle
oklahoma
USA
404 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2007 :  7:31:50 PM  Show Profile
It has been a long time since I posted anything about my husband. For those who dont know, he was 42 when he had a massive sudden death heart attack in June of 2006. He is truly my hero for coming through all that he has gone through. He has had three heart attacks and three stents altogether and numerous hospital stays and he suffers daily with continous (intractible) chest pain. Eventually he will need a heart transplant.

In May he was taken to the ER by a co-worker and while I was in the hallway outside the ER, he went into V-Fib and they called a code blue. Luckily he converted on his own without them having to intervene but shortly after that they put in an implanted cardioconverter or as most people know it as an implanted defibrillator/pacemaker. I feel so much better knowing he has that safety net if his heart were to go back into V-Fib again.

It has been a long rocky road for him and through all of it he has continued to try to work whenever he could. It has become so bad recently though that we have decided he is going to try to go for disability. His doctor said he can get it easily with his condition. He has fought the hard battle but we have decided that it is just too difficult for him to keep commuting the 40 miles one way to work. Last week they started him on Duragesic patches for his pain control (he also takes other narcotic pain pills) and those barely do anything. Duragesic is a strong narcotic (Opiate) that is used for cancer patients. They also put him on oxygen and even though he has good blood oxygen saturations without it it is supposed to help his heart get some extra oxygen and hopefully help with the pain too.

I am really scared for him to quit his job and go on disablity because we just bought our house a few months ago and his pay will be about 60% of his current salary. I am terrified we will lose our home or our vehicles. I know that he will be so much better off without going to work.........I desperately want him to not have to go to work and suffer the way he has..........but the fear of the unknown is pretty hard on me. I dont want him to know how much I am worrying about our finances though. I started having some health issues of my own recently and my doctor said it is from all the stress that I am under.

I really need your prayers for my hubby and to give me strength to get through this too. I just wish that our life could go back to the way it was before June of 2006 but I know that is impossible. God has plans for us........we just have to figure out what it is.

Shelle

http://janzenfamilyjournal.blogspot.com/

DeeDee
True Blue Farmgirl

162 Posts

Denise
Wyoming
162 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2007 :  7:46:20 PM  Show Profile
Hugs and wishes for much better days for your husband and you.
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2007 :  7:55:20 PM  Show Profile
Shelle I will pray for you! As you said - God has a plan. Sometimes we do not understand or agree with the plan but there is one. I will pray for the health of your husband, the strength of you and that your home, vehicles and possession will remain with you. Lots of love and hugs!

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Cheryl
True Blue Farmgirl

919 Posts

Cheryl
Magalia CA
USA
919 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2007 :  8:38:28 PM  Show Profile
I am so sorry you both are going through this. You are in my prayers. May God be your strength.

Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2007 :  8:38:32 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Shelle-

Thanks so much for the update. I am sending you both wishes for strength and health! *hugs* You are a wonderful lady!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

MamaHumbird
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Holly
Cleveland Missouri
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2007 :  8:44:16 PM  Show Profile
Shelle,
Hang in there, we are praying for you and your family. Things always have a way of working out when we know that God is in charge. Just love on your husband and be thankful that he is there for you to do that. I am sure he will need reassurance that he is still taking care of his family. And we all know how hard you are working as well to keep your family unit going. Keep us updated.

Holly
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2007 :  9:36:12 PM  Show Profile
First of all, you & your husband are in my prayers.

As for the disability, it may vary from state to state, but in my state you do not pay income tax on disability. If you factor in that, the savings on gas (him not driving that far) and other savings, you may not come out as bad as it seems right now.

Dh was on disability twice (surgeries, nothing serious, thank goodness) and both times we pretty much broke even. He has a 40-min commute, too, and we were surprised that it came out this way.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

Please visit me at www.marykay.com/pmiinch
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2007 :  10:01:39 PM  Show Profile
Shelle - I will include you and DH in my prayers. I agree with others in that you have to have faith and do what is best for DH - God will provide. It's a huge leap of faith I know, but I suspect when you realize you have done the right thing, peace will come to you. Most of the stress is in the unknown. Once a decision is made, it will be easier.
Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2007 :  10:47:10 PM  Show Profile
Shelle, you and your DH will be in my thoughts and prayers. Know that you are loved!

Hugs,
Maryjane Lee

The Beehive Cottage~
est. 1971
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2007 :  11:05:46 PM  Show Profile
I will sure have you both in my prayers too!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2007 :  11:41:04 PM  Show Profile
Praying, especially for you both to be able to rest in the place that God has you.
Carol Sue

Enjoying the moments.
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2007 :  03:21:50 AM  Show Profile
I include my farmgal friends in my nightly prayers and will say a special one for you and your husband, Shelle. Everything will work out in time. Keep your chin up and keep the faith! Nance
Go to Top of Page

shelle
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Shelle
oklahoma
USA
404 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2007 :  2:18:20 PM  Show Profile
Farm Girls.

Thanks so much for the encouragement. You dont know how much it means to me to have your thoughts and prayers. My emotions have been on a rollercoaster lately and I really appreciate your kindness. I called the doctor and got his pain medication increased today to see if that will help him in the short term. God is in charge of the long term so we will see what he has in store for us.

Hugs

Shelle

http://janzenfamilyjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

gateway girl
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Shari
Missouri
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2007 :  4:14:34 PM  Show Profile
Shelle,
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your husband. Keep the faith and know that you are loved.

Shari

Life is a chain of moments of enjoyment, it's not just about survival. Live every second to it's fullest!

Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2007 :  5:24:16 PM  Show Profile
Shelle -- I am so sorry that your husband has been so ill. God does have a plan for you. A plan for you to prosper and succeed. Just wait for His direction and He will show you! I will be praying for your husband and you! Much love!

http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com

http://cottageramblings.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

nashbabe
True Blue Farmgirl

687 Posts

687 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2007 :  7:05:30 PM  Show Profile
Hugs and prayers.

Crunchy crafty goodness and psychoses...;-)http://nashbabe.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2007 :  7:53:30 PM  Show Profile
Dear Shelle, my what a journey! If there is anything I have learned in dealing with my hubby's cancer is God alone is trustworthy and the only sure thing. Lean hard on Him and He will see you through.
"If He brings you to it, He will bring you through it."
Prayers ascending.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2007 :  08:06:00 AM  Show Profile
Shelle, everyone has said such encouraging things... and true things to you, I'll just add that you are in my prayers.

Ann
Sairy Hill Thicket
There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2007 :  09:58:17 AM  Show Profile
I was wiping tears from my eyes as I read your post . . . my husband is 42 so I tried to visualize what it would be like seeing this happen to him. To go from being the strong independent provider to someone to weak to work and in pain too. I am so sorry for you and your husband and the loss you have felt in losing the lives you led of independence. I agree God has a plan in this . . . maybe this is the wake up call to lean stronger on Him. I really don't know, but I do believe the "big things" in life, such as your scenerio, happen for a reason. You are in our hearts and our prayers!

With hugs & blessings,

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2007 :  12:05:11 PM  Show Profile
Sending much good healing energy to you and DH, Dear Shelle.

Farmgirl hug,
Patricia

check out my etsy site http://ThePlayfulFarmgirl.etsy.com

Take me home, country roads
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2007 :  9:57:52 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Shelle,
I am so very sorry for what has happened and what you and your husband are going through! It saddens me so deeply when things like this happen. I will be sending all the love, hope, strength, understanding, wisdom, and courage I can to you and with them prayers and hope of a speedy recovery, new heart for your husband, and a bright new future for you both together! I will be thinking of you!
With Hugz, Prayers, and Thoughts for a Healthy Outcome,
Talitha

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"

Edited by - Buttercup on Jul 25 2007 9:58:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2007 :  08:24:33 AM  Show Profile
Shelle, Sending prayers upward for you and your husband.
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic My update on my hubby..... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page