Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 What would your reaction be?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic What would your reaction be? Next Topic  

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2007 :  8:29:59 PM  Show Profile
Dh and I went to a chain home improvement/lumber store this evening to get the sheetrock to do the downstairs hallway, pick out the sink for the upstairs bathroom, and a few other necessities for the house. While at the check-out, waiting for a price check, I commented to dh that I am going to have to clean out my piggybank and scrounge in the couch cushions before we go to Canton (I was just kidding actually). The check-out girl asked what Canton was and I explained. She said she'd just take a credit card and max it out. I laughed and said we're not using cc's anymore and with building the house money is tight, so this would be mostly a sightseeing trip. She said, "Well, you've got a construction loan (we had already given her the lien waiver and the check from the construction account) so just buy something really big here, return it, and take the cash."

I was a bit flabbergasted that a teen/college-age girl (that's what she looked like) would think of this to begin with. And I was also more than a bit surprised at her suggesting this. I just smiled and said something like "that wouldn't be right". She said, "well, it's your money." I just smiled and didn't try to explain.

In the truck coming home, dh said one of the ladies he works with tells that she goes to Wal-Mart and gets groceries, etc., and buys extra stuff. She writes the amount in the checkbook and a couple of days later takes back some non-food items she bought so she can have extra spending money without her husband knowing about it. One of the other coworkers asked if her dh won't let her have any spending money and she said he would, but that she just gets a kick out of it!

I guess I'm just puzzled about this. I know people have their own views of right & wrong, and maybe I'm old-fashioned, but this just doesn't seem right to me.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

Please visit me at www.marykay.com/pmiinch

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2007 :  8:50:15 PM  Show Profile
Patti, I love to sleep good at night and being honest helps me to do so. I have had funny looks from clerks when I run back into the store to pay for an item that was left in the bottom of my cart that I didn't pay for. It's unreal how some people do not feel guilt. So sad the clerk you talked to was so young in learning this dishonest thing. The world would be a much better place if more people were honest! Sleep good Patti!

Hugs,
Maryjane Lee

The Beehive Cottage~
est. 1971
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2007 :  11:44:19 PM  Show Profile
I had a friend that would get extra money by doing stuff like that. We'd all go out to dinner and she'd put it on her credit card and keep all our cash so she'd have extra money that her husband wouldn't know about. What that girl at the home improvement store was suggesting you do was totally inappropriate. I would be tempted to call the store manager and tell him what she said to you. Maybe she's not the type of person they want working for them -- doesn't sound like she has much of a conscience. I agree with Maryjane -- I need to be able to put my head on the pillow and go to sleep at night.

Visit my Etsy shop at http://www.therusticcottage.net

http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2007 :  03:37:52 AM  Show Profile
Guess I'm old fashioned too. I may have given each matter a thought, but for starters, I don't have to hide anything from my hubby-so the trust issus is a non issue. I don't have a lot of extra time to devote to running around geting extra $$. Any extra money I do acquire either goes into my retirement-or the piggy bank to save for our future vacations.

So many people live for the moment. There is no planning and consequences are not fully thought out. The younger kids of today are lacking in all kinds of ways. Starting with being raised by 2 loving adults, propper manners and doing for others. It's a sad state of affairs.

I'd report the hardware lady or just laugh it off. You can start by writing the HQ or CEO of this place, get the gal's name and really make a difference.

I'm not one for carma, but eventually it does come around in some form!

As long as you can live with yourself in the end that's what matters.

Mom once said, right is right even if no one else is doing it.
Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2007 :  05:04:12 AM  Show Profile
Yep! I have to sleep at night too- honesty makes that easier!
Our society has taught kids that having "stuff" is more important than anything.
Just turn on the tube -especially if you haven't in a while- and watch a few minutes of advertising. There is no such thing as struggling as newlyweds to get a household started and apparently it starts before kids are out of high school. Most 16 yr olds here have nicer cars than I do at 50- worse yet Mom & Dad give them the car. It can only reinforce the free ride mentality!
I'm not sure where or when it catches up- maybe in their 30's at bankruptcy court.
I sleep better with less debt too- by the grace of God.
Autumn

Isaiah 40:31
But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.

Edited by - DeepsouthMamma on Jul 22 2007 05:06:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9371 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9371 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2007 :  06:33:16 AM  Show Profile
It is not a right thing to do and what I can't figure out is wouldn't you still have to pay the loan? So how would that be helpful? I say stay as far out of debt as possible as long as possible. Sleep well my friend and keeping a clear conscience can only bring blessings.
Hugs,
Denise

"The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof and all that dwell therein."

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2007 :  07:05:38 AM  Show Profile
Holy Cow..... I never would have even thought of that. When I've returned stuff to Walmart it's because I really needed to return it! That's probably why so many stores have gone to giving gift cards instead of cash if you haven't a receipt! Makes you wonder what her parents are doing? Or what she's learned in ps doesn't it?

I would actually write a letter. Even if you don't mention her by name the store still needs to know what she's up to - suggesting to their customers. This is ripping off the store and you in the end and makes for higher prices for all of us.

Thou shalt not lie ring a bell? Glad you are honest too! I've had clerks tell me thank you many times when I pointed out their giving me back to little or to much change - because they knew they could lose their job/be in trouble.

Holly

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2007 :  09:55:16 AM  Show Profile
It's so sad. No wonder interest rates are so high and people are in financial trouble everywhere. Ethics anyone? :)

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2007 :  10:02:10 AM  Show Profile
Stores are hip to this -- that's why you don't get cash back if you return something that you used a charge card for! The amount is returned back to the card as a credit. If you don't have a receipt, you get a store credit. No store that I know of gives out cash like that.

But I do agree -- the store should be informed of the employee's suggestion -- this is probably a topic that the store manager would want to bring up in a general employee meeting.

www.youaretoocreative.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2007 :  10:45:37 AM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
WOW!!!! I too like to sleep at night and not have to worry about what I tell my DH or family when it comes to money and or life. I do admit there are times I hide thrift store purchases in my trunk until DH leaves, then unload them and put them away. At times that keeps me from sleeping because I feel like I'm keeping secrets and not honest. I know he also brings home trinkets that he does not show me too. But then again I really do not need to or want to see every antique motorcycle part or tool that he brings home and I'm sure he doesn't really care how many pillow cases and kitchen trinkets I buy either.

I work for a lady who has a very sizable day care which she does not keep good financial records for and spends freely. Can not make bills most of the time because of her spending foolishly. She signed a purchase agreement for about 500 thousand for a second day with out her husband knowing until it was done and is presently working on a third center for about the same price and her husband has no idea. She says she'll tell him when it's ready to open. I am just flabbergasted that women do this to their husbands and or families. This is why so many people have problems with money. They just spend it even when they do not have it. My children are the same. Once they got out into the world the seemed to forget the lessons they were shown at home. IF you have the cash and your bills are paid then you can buy it, if not you have to wait.

3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2007 :  1:42:37 PM  Show Profile
I called a bit ago and spoke to the manager on duty. I told him that I needed to share what happened and if he wanted to know who the salesperson was, I had the receipt and could tell him the time and register number. After I explained what she said, he asked for the information. He told me he would talk to her and thanked me for letting him know.

I hadn't thought of reporting her, but realized after reading your responses that if I was the owner I'd want to know. So I called. Thanks ladies!!

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

Please visit me at www.marykay.com/pmiinch
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic What would your reaction be? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page