Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2007 :  8:27:11 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I am going to be doing the farmer's market on Saturdays and I have a bazillion pillowcases that need to be repurposed. I have been using them for packing material- am setting aside some for some farmgirls who want them- and I still have a huge black garbage bag full (if not two... I still haven't gotten to the bottom of all these sheets and lines from the hotel)

Anyway- I had an idea- I thought I could turn it in on itself so it is folded in half and is like a little bag- then I could take some ribbons and stitch them on to make handles. Then for $2.00 people could buy a bag to take their items home in, and if they want they can remove the ribbons and have a nice pillow case. I mean- most pillowcases are more than $2.00 these days, right?

Would you buy something like that?

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2007 :  8:44:20 PM  Show Profile
I think that is a fabulous idea Alee!!!! Yes! I would buy something like that!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2007 :  9:16:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for the input Aunt Jenny! If I have time after washing the bajillion bottles I bought (I bought almost $100 worth for the Farmer's Market...okay it is only a few dozen, but still...) I will sew some up. I am excited! I think I will only make a few at first.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

whispering pines
True Blue Farmgirl

428 Posts

patricia
sedro woolley wa
USA
428 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2007 :  9:51:07 PM  Show Profile
Alee, can you ell me where the farmers market is located?

"Greetings from the Gateway to the North Cascades."
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2007 :  10:02:13 PM  Show Profile
That's a great idea.....And you know you could take that idea a step further and turn them into simple lightweight shopping "totes"....Fold down over itself a few times and then run a top stitch around the whole case and add some colorful handles and a center tie and a colorful pocket on each side and you've got a jam up grocery tote, market tote, toy tote, etc.

It would be "Shabby Market" all the way and easy to make!

...til next time ~ queenofdreams

www.dreamkingdomdesigns.blogspot.com

"hold close your inner child and always listen to the gentle whispers" ~queenofdreamsz
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2007 :  11:04:14 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Patricia-

The Farmer's Market that I am refering to is in Moscow, ID. It is between Main St and Jefferson St in the parking lot for most of Main St every Saturday from 8am-12pm. There is usually live music, sometimes some performers, food and drink vendors, fruit and veggie vendors, and all sorts of arts and crafts vendors. It is really fun!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

whispering pines
True Blue Farmgirl

428 Posts

patricia
sedro woolley wa
USA
428 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2007 :  03:37:25 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Alee, I hope to be in Moscow in the early morning. Patricia

"Greetings from the Gateway to the North Cascades."
Go to Top of Page

newheart
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Margie
Owings Mills Maryland
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2007 :  04:32:27 AM  Show Profile
Alee, Martha Stewart has a great pattern for making a sort of "hobo" bag out of a pillowcase....easy as pie and quick too. I need to make another one for a MJF girl friend..I have been so busy trying to finish up all the swaps I am in,I forgot about it.
Look on her Web Site for purse from pillowsae.....great for shopping at a flea market ..

Margie

Chocolate makes my Heart 'sing"...
Go to Top of Page

janetinva123
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Janet
newport news va
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2007 :  1:38:53 PM  Show Profile
What a great idea!

Jc
http://beloved-creations.blogspot.com
http://beloved-creations.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2007 :  3:29:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
It was great meeting you Patricia!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2007 :  3:39:21 PM  Show Profile
OK, Now I need to have a second look at my old pillowcases. Some are printed and some plain. Are all yours Plain Alee? I can see embroidery, pockets like Steph said, buttons, oh yea, bottons!! I hope I can sleep tonight.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2007 :  3:40:38 PM  Show Profile
Hey Alee,
How did you do?
Carol Sue

Enjoying the moments.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2007 :  4:29:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I did okay. I got up really early (5am) and got ready, got Nora ready and out the door. When we arrived at the Farmer's Market I was disappointed to learn that they now only allow hand crafted only items and produce. It was disheartening but luckily someone had asked me if I was going to be at the flea market across the street. So I drove around a little bit until I noticed someone waiting at the area that was sectioned off for the flea Market. So I ended up getting some traffic and selling some bottles, but not as much as I would have done if I had been able to do the Farmer's Market.

So next week I am going to fill the bottles with bath powder and seal it with parafin wax and see how that goes.

How much do you think I should sell pint bottles with bath powder in them for? I can do two different bath powders- a Milk Bath and a Silky Water Bath.

Thanks!

Alee

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2007 :  10:06:04 AM  Show Profile
Great ideas Alee! If you could get in the farmer's market with your bath products, I think you could go $7-10 for quarts, depending on your market. Take a look at what the Co-op sells similar items for, then you'll have a good idea what people in Moscow are willing to pay. Play the "recycle" and maybe the "collectable" part too, and that will help. Maybe have a few on display with flowers so people get the idea what to do with the bottles after the contents are gone.

I hope this goes really well for you. Maybe next week I can make it down to see/shop/visit. :)

I took a darling pillowcase I found at our local thrift shop and turned it into a full aprom for my daughter. Super easy. I love your tote idea!

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2007 :  1:35:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Michelle-

Thanks for the encouragement and ideas! I appreciate it.

My mom had an idea for the wire crates- to put small flower pots in each of the spots and have the plant growing in the crate. She said she saw something similar in a Pottery Barn magazine and that the wire baskets/crates seem to the newest "thing" I didn't know I was helping further a fad! LOL :) Good thing my crates are long lasting a cute, eh? :)

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2007 :  4:23:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Nancy Jo-

Sorry! I missed your question at first! Yes, all the pillowcases are plain white. Some are older than others so they are nice and soft, and some feel brand new.

Alee
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic I have a question for you: Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page