EmmJay
True Blue Farmgirl

352 Posts

Mary Jane
Amherst Nova Scotia
Canada
352 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2007 :  07:17:40 AM  Show Profile
We lost several chickens thanks to a fox and her youngins. She has a den at a neighboring farm, but made it over here.
Can you imagine.....broad daylight, with hubby in the house for under an hour, and when I came home from work.....
I asked where all the girls were, and changed to go outside......to see 5 of my poor babies murdered.
I gathered up the rest, and carried several into the barn and locked them up. It's just not fair to them....to be punished for something they did NOT do.
Hubby has a treat(loaded) ready for the fox if she decides to come back.
I can't stand the fact that this critter was so ruthless.
Thanks for letting me vent.
MJ

"Thank GOD I'm a country girl"
http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o134/EmmJay07/

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2007 :  08:05:11 AM  Show Profile
I don't live on a farm, but the harsh realities of life would be hard to take at times...for me. I'm sorry about the loss of your chickens. I hope your hubby gets that rascal! That's heartbreaking.

"To have life in focus, we must have death in our field of vision." Benedictine monk John Main
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2007 :  08:20:48 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh MJ- I am so sorry for your loss. She killed the chickens but didn't eat them or take them to the den? That is so sad!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2007 :  08:26:44 AM  Show Profile
That is so horrible. We have racoons here that are ruthless too. And, they are not really afraid of us. They are gross with their eating habits. They will kill the chickens, but only drink the blood (a little) and leave them there for us to find. My kids used to get so upset. Now they just get the rifle! Funny how you learn and adapt,huh?
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2007 :  12:31:18 PM  Show Profile
so sorry to hear about the loss of your chickens. that would have really upset me too.

... back when I was a girl we had 200 young chickens(rescued from being sent to an alligator farm) that would roost up on the fence top of their pen..but..we had neighbours that had 2 young dobermans that they did not take care of properly and allowed them to run free all over the place in the evenings..well..these dogs would come over to our place ..and just for sport would pounce against the fence..whichever chickens fell over they'd quickly kill, and leave....well...after a while we just had to start getting rid of chickens..having folks come by and get chickens for free. We wound up paring our flock down to about 8 chickens.
After a while the neighbors did get rid of their dogs, but those things sure were an aggravation...and wound up killing our pet rabbits as well. That was so sad..rabbits that we were raising for the fair...and my pet bunny named "Thumper" that was so sweet..he would nudge me with his nose whenever he wanted to be petted, and keep nudging me until my hand was on top of his head petting him...ha.
So yes...sometimes nature is just plain cruel.

I hope you come to a solution soon.

Best of wishes.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic My Poor Poor Girls. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: