Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2007 :  11:41:03 AM  Show Profile
With the recent hot weather and little rain my flower gardens are taking a beating. I just can't keep up with the watering. Jim and I just came back from Lake Roosevelt (damned Columbia River) looking for more driftwood. Found a couple of nice pieces that will replace some of the plants that are looking a little roung. JoAnn

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2007 :  5:24:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
It would be great to see a picture! I hadn't thought of using drift wood like that before- but it sure can be pretty if you find the right pieces!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2007 :  5:45:47 PM  Show Profile
I also found a great concave rock the other day. I put some clear kinda flattened oval stones you can buy in the craft stores to simulate water in it(not real deep enough for the real thing) and then placed 3 glass ball floats that are sorta aquamarine colored on top of them. Oh and another hint. I have been finding bird cages cheap at thrift stores that have a nice shapeand design on them, take off the bottom and place them over my flowers that those dang deer have been chomping on. Beats the chicken wire cages Jim has been making. JoAnn P.S. You can also find beautiful "dry land" driftwood in non water areas. Out here in the west things don't rot fast but will attain a beautiful weather patina.
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2007 :  6:45:15 PM  Show Profile
I would love to see pictures too. Despite the "rough" plants it sounds beautiful! HAve you seen the concrete birdbaths people make using big leaves? Here are two links. I plan on trying this if I can find some big leaves.

http://www.ihanna.nu/blog/?p=473
http://www.gardengatemagazine.com/extras/53birdbath1.php

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Driftwood Garden Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page