Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 fav. tomato to grow for canning?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic fav. tomato to grow for canning? Next Topic  

CountryChick
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

MICHIGAN
56 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2007 :  1:41:34 PM  Show Profile
What is your fav tomato to buy/grow for canning and/or sauce?

Is it? San marzano, redorta, amish paste, roma... etccc? What is the best for taste and sauces?

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2007 :  6:29:49 PM  Show Profile
I like any of the "Roma" varieties. They are the oblong Italian type, very fleshy, not alot of water. I think they make a thicker sauce.

I admit that when canning season starts, no tomato goes unnoticed. I mix varieties willy nilly. We grow romas & heinz for sauce, several varieties of small salad tomatoes, and some big beefsteak varieties for sandwiches.

My granny always canned a few jars of yellow whole tomatoes in a red sauce...just cause they "look so pretty". I do a few jars in her memory each year.

I'm a one girl revolution.
Go to Top of Page

CountryChick
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

MICHIGAN
56 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2007 :  6:36:12 PM  Show Profile
Rhonda,

Thank you for responding.. I adore tomatoes and want to expand my garden next year (this year was first garden ever). I want to can a lot of sauce for the winter. Are the Romas prolific.
Since you grow so many... can you also suggest a good eating size tomato besides Brandywine?

Your grannys yellow tomatoes in sauce sounds delicious.

Nikki

Edited by - CountryChick on Jul 16 2007 6:37:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4190 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4190 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2007 :  04:54:20 AM  Show Profile
I grow the roma type too. I can mostly sauce, for pizza or spagetti. I also have big boy this year, and a few cherry tomatoe plants for eating. I use a squeezo (I am a horrible speller) and then I warm the pulp up in a pan and strain it through a jelly bag to get out all the juice I want out. Works great, and no burnt sauce. I then simmer it for a while with herbs and spices in it, and can it up. Michele
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2007 :  05:07:42 AM  Show Profile
I grew one called Amish Paste last year. It was VERY prolific and while it had more flesh than slicing tomatoes they were wonderful to eat right off the vine, too. Very sweet tasting. I'm trying an heirloom Roma this year. Next year, the winner between the two will get a permanent spot in the garden. I'm thinking Amish Paste is going to win. The Romas are not nearly as prolific. We'll see.

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/

We come from Nature, we go back to Nature; health & happiness in between requires intimacy with Nature.
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2007 :  4:45:11 PM  Show Profile
here, here for the romas!

they pop righ out of their skins when blanched and make a fabulous pairing when diced and mixed with chopped basil and feta cheese on crusty bread.
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic fav. tomato to grow for canning? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page