Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Best darn canning book Next Topic  

Bee Haven Maven
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

Beverly
Pennsylvania
USA
1862 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2007 :  1:13:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Bee Haven Maven an AOL message
Hello all, I wanted to share a publication with you that has been a wonderful addition to my kitchen library. It has directions and recipes for just about anything you can think of to can and is a really good guide for anyone just starting out. It is the Ball Blue Book of Preserving.

Here are a few things that I canned using their recipes....dill pickles and blueberry/lime jam. Yes, the honey is from our bees at Bee Haven Acres! Tomorrow it is pickles beets and apricot jam.

Keep Smiling.....Bev
Check out my shoppe at www.honeybeez.etsy.com
www.beehavenacres.blogspot.com , www.beehavenmaven.blogspot.com

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2007 :  1:48:34 PM  Show Profile
Beautiful!! Hey Beverly..do you ever sell honey? I would be interested in some if you ship.
Blueberry lime jam sounds so good!! I just made black berry and will be doing some lemon curd in the next couple days ..have to send some to second son (grown and lives in Calif) he loves it so much.
OOOH..pickled beets..I want to do that this year too. and more pickled eggs..we are out.
Isn't canning fun? and I agree..you can't hardly beat the Ball blue book!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Bee Haven Maven
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

Beverly
Pennsylvania
USA
1862 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2007 :  2:10:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Bee Haven Maven an AOL message
I would love to sell....yes we definitely have loads to sell (we ask $3.50 per bottle). Today I went to the post office and checked on shipping and that is the problem....it is pricey. About $6.25 for one bottle to ship to the West Coast. I think if I sold in larger quantities and went to UPS it would be a much better deal....Let me know if you are interested and I will gladly sell you some!

Thanks for asking!

Keep Smiling.....Bev

Edited by - Bee Haven Maven on Jul 16 2007 2:20:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2007 :  5:19:59 PM  Show Profile
I am emailing you!!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2007 :  5:42:12 PM  Show Profile
Bev: I have that book too. I love it and it is such a mess from all the ingredients that have spilled on it over time! Your stuff looks delicious. It would be great to have your honey. When I am out in a few months I hope you still have some!
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2007 :  1:28:39 PM  Show Profile
I bought this book last year as a gift to me. It is the best! I need to get it out and start making plans for canning time. Your pickles look yummy!!

Visit my Etsy shop at http://www.therusticcottage.net

http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

BotanicalBath
True Blue Farmgirl

1014 Posts

Elizabeth
Ohio
1014 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2007 :  2:40:14 PM  Show Profile
I am going to have to check that out.

Very nice looking pickles and Jams!

E-
BotanicalBath@peoplepc.com www.Botanical-Bath.com www.BotanicalBath.etsy.com http://botanicalbath.blogspot.com/

"I do my housework in the nude. It gives me an incentive to clean the mirrors as quickly as possible."
Go to Top of Page

MamaHumbird
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Holly
Cleveland Missouri
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2007 :  9:28:47 PM  Show Profile
I love that canning book as well. The only ones that I have found that are any better are the old ones that my mother-in-law gave me. They were her mother's, so they were old, but they are really interesting to read. I think when it comes to cookbooks, the saying applies "oldies but goodies!" Your honey looks wonderful, is it any cheaper to ship to the midwest? Also, what kind of shelf life does honey have? I have only bought it at the store and in very small quantities.

Thanks,
Holly

Holly
Go to Top of Page

suzyhomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

Clare
Tyler Hill PA
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2007 :  04:55:07 AM  Show Profile
Hey, Beverly, so glad you discovered Ball's Blue Book. My original one finally got covered in rain (left out on the deck and forgot it) and I had to buy another one. It's not the same!! They don't have as many recipes. Luckily, I wrote down my favorites and can search their site for even more.

Once you get going, canning is so much fun. I love making homemade jams and jellies. It makes Christmas giving a snap. Also, I can venison in apressure canner. There is nothing as tasty as this. I know the old timers canned it in a water bath for three hours, but I am not taking a chance.

We have bees, too. Hubby says we are going t ohave to take honey off soon. We have five hives this year. How many do you have? It's enough for us and to give as gifts. My folks LOVE it!!! So do Steve's parents. I use it in a gret granola recipe and cook with it and add to tea. What are your favorite uses for it?

Country girl in NE PA
Go to Top of Page

Bee Haven Maven
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

Beverly
Pennsylvania
USA
1862 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2007 :  07:01:31 AM  Show Profile  Send Bee Haven Maven an AOL message
Hey Clare....we have 7 hives. Early in July we took off 80 lbs of honey and should be able to harvest again in September. I just finished peach and apricot jams this morning.....love to make jams, too.
Have a great day!!

Keep Smiling.....Bev
Go to Top of Page

Bee Haven Maven
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

Beverly
Pennsylvania
USA
1862 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2007 :  3:10:11 PM  Show Profile  Send Bee Haven Maven an AOL message
Here are today's jams.....blackberry, peach, apricot.

Keep Smiling.....Bev
Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2007 :  3:59:32 PM  Show Profile
Bev, you sure have been a Busy Bee ! I am impressed! Your pantry must looked beautiful with all those jars lined up! Just simply wonderful!

Hugs,
Maryjane Lee

The Beehive Cottage~
est. 1971
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2007 :  03:41:18 AM  Show Profile
Bev,
Your canning looks wonderful! I really miss my mom's canning and also my grandma's. I have the Ball Blue Book too and my mom gave me her huge pressure canner. I am going to try canning really soon. I do so want to learn to can...I helped my mom many years ago, but haven't done it on my own yet.

Are you going to put some honey up on your etsy?

http://auntgeorgeshouse.blogspot.com/index.html
http://auntgeorge.etsy.com

"Made With Love"

Edited by - Aunt George on Jul 23 2007 03:53:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2007 :  05:38:05 AM  Show Profile
Well Bev, jealous here in NY, Love the jars all filled and pretty. What a nice feeling it must be to line them all up and look at them. Good job. Tell the bees good job too.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2007 :  06:21:48 AM  Show Profile
One of my next projects is spiced peaches and then on to dill pickles. I love the tiny ones. So I think I see another recipe book to buy!!

Winona :-)

Don't sweat the small stuff...

http://goneridingagain.bravehost.com

Go to Top of Page

Mnhorsemom
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Kathy
Battle Lake minnesota
USA
44 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2007 :  11:08:58 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by suzyhomemaker

Hey, Beverly, so glad you discovered Ball's Blue Book. My original one finally got covered in rain (left out on the deck and forgot it) and I had to buy another one. It's not the same!! They don't have as many recipes. Luckily, I wrote down my favorites and can search their site for even more.

Once you get going, canning is so much fun. I love making homemade jams and jellies. It makes Christmas giving a snap. Also, I can venison in apressure canner. There is nothing as tasty as this. I know the old timers canned it in a water bath for three hours, but I am not taking a chance.

We have bees, too. Hubby says we are going t ohave to take honey off soon. We have five hives this year. How many do you have? It's enough for us and to give as gifts. My folks LOVE it!!! So do Steve's parents. I use it in a gret granola recipe and cook with it and add to tea. What are your favorite uses for it?

Country girl in NE PA

Have you looked on Ebay to see if you can replace the older Ball book? There are several older Ball books listed there now. I have been looking for a older Kerr book with a specific recipe and think I may have found it there.

Farm House Formulas Battle Lake, MN
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2007 :  10:44:00 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
I LOVE their book!! It is the best...I think anyway..and way back they use to have an 800 number for questions too! I do not know if I still have my old one or not but I do have a newer one and I think it is a must have for canners!
All your canning looks wonderful!! I can't wait to be able to can again!
Hugz!
Talitha

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Best darn canning book Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page