Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Suggestions on things to grow in pots...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Suggestions on things to grow in pots... Next Topic  

Bertie
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Rheame
Spokane WA
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2007 :  9:43:56 PM  Show Profile

I just wondered; does anyone have a good idea of dwarf lillies (flowers) and/or fruits and veggies I can grow in small pots in the northwest? I ask because I live in an apartment (gasp!!) and don't have much space for a real garden. Any thoughts? Anyone??? Bertie

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2007 :  9:46:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
You can grow strawberries in pots, tomatoes do great if in a big enough pot, pretty much any flower like Bachelor buttons or impatien does well. You could grow lettuce or a even a few carrots!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2007 :  9:55:12 PM  Show Profile
check out Renee's Garden Seeds
http://www.reneesgarden.com/seeds/seeds-hm/vegB.htm
she offers varieties of tiny baby carrots that don't need peeling that take very little space to grow, she also offers a variety of lettuce that is a single serve head of lettuce easily grown in small pots, etc. lots of fun varieties that would suit what you are looking for. I bought a few seed packets from the company this year and the germination rate was very good.
Best of wishes.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com

Edited by - Tina Michelle on Jul 11 2007 9:55:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2007 :  07:30:14 AM  Show Profile
If you have room for 1/2 whiskey barrels or long retangular planters you can use them as mini gardens. Tomatoes and squash or cucumber in one and non-bushy plants like lettuce, beets, carrots, etc in the other. I think Organic Gardening has had articles on this in the past. You might want to check their website.
Go to Top of Page

Runbikegrrl
True Blue Farmgirl

250 Posts

MaryAnn
Waterbury Ctr VT
USA
250 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2007 :  09:32:09 AM  Show Profile
I like to grow perenials and stuff I can bring inside when the season is done. right now I have 3 kinds of hot peppers, some sage and some cilantro (to go with the hot peppers for making salsa). I also have a few grape tomato plants and some extras from my garden (with all this rain I am thinking that these might be the only ones I can save!) My Dad use to do strawberries in barrels and pots and next year I am going to start a miniture blueberry and maybe even an orange

"So many interests so little time!"

http://lovelifelivegrrl.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

corporatefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

389 Posts

Tamara
Pikeville TN
USA
389 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2007 :  1:39:37 PM  Show Profile
Even in an apartment you can farm. I use to use larger clay pots and compine things like cherry tomatoe plants, basil and marjoram. I have grown green beans in large pots and had them climb the deck rail. Lettuce is great to. You can grow great herbs like mint, basil, thyme, parsely, etc in pots. I had a wash tub that had a whole little tea garden going. So you GROW GIRL...

there is a seed to plant in every heart
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2007 :  03:43:00 AM  Show Profile
Lavender might do well

Peppers too.
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Suggestions on things to grow in pots... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page