Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2005 :  09:39:36 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Karen, since my husband plays the violin, rosin is easy to come by. I definitly will give it a try!

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2005 :  12:59:54 PM  Show Profile
OK, here's my question again: what do you like about those machines? Just curious.
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2005 :  1:27:33 PM  Show Profile
Katie-ell,
I just like the rythmic sound and not having a motorized hum etc.
I'm still looking for a reel mower for my yard as I don't like the noisy and stinky motor(mine is a 2-cycle).
I also love to sew when it's snowing out and sometimes the power is out but I can still treadle on.
Just like the loom I have,it is a quieter craft and kinda zen like.
I have noticed when I'm warping the loom, I take my time and enjoy the simple task at hand, the weaving itself is also very relaxing and a good way for me to quiet my mind from a busy day at work.
Threadle machines are also simple, they seem to rarely be out of time and seem to function without alot of futzing with, but can go thru pretty heavy fabrics.
Don't take it that I don't have and use electric sewing machines, I have an 1950's Union industrial machine, 1960's Singer,1980's Babylock serger and early 90's White Jeans machine, these all get used from time to time just like the treadle.
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2005 :  5:10:02 PM  Show Profile
My Dad traded my Mother's perfectly good electric Singer in a wonderful cabinet, for an old treadle. My mother was so mad, she never sewed on the treadle, or even opened it up. I was about 11 when this happened, so my Grandmother taught me to sew on it. It was the only thing I ever could use, until my husband bought a new Elna in 1972. I have used both of them all these years. I love the pace of the treadle machine, and just the idea of using something like my Grandmother and her mother used.

Greetings from the morning side of the hill.
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2005 :  09:35:42 AM  Show Profile
Oh Pooh! I was working on my treadle, using Rosin on the belt like Karen suggested, oiling the machine, when my belt broke. AAAAAAAAAH!
So I pouted well enough that my husband said "It's fine, just order a new belt." He's so sweet! At first he didn't get the fact that I wanted to really use the treadle and not just display it. I waas pleased.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2005 :  4:47:47 PM  Show Profile
Ok, I finally got the belt for my treadle. I put it on but no I have a question, if someone would be so kind to answer. When I peddle, I move the start the wheel moving toward me, but as I continue to peddle the belt moves backwards. Is my belt not tight enough to keep a forward momentum? Or is there another trick to this? I have the original manuel but the instructions are rather vague. Julia

Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2005 :  5:22:52 PM  Show Profile
Hi Julia,
I found another site with sewing tips for treadle machines...
http://www.motherearthnews.com/library/1975_March_April/Tips_On_Foot_Powered_Sewing_Machines
Hope this helps!
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2005 :  09:05:45 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Karen, your sweet !

Go to Top of Page

ladybugsmom6
True Blue Farmgirl

128 Posts

Tami
Horicon WI
USA
128 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2005 :  1:59:01 PM  Show Profile  Click to see ladybugsmom6's MSN Messenger address
You would never believe the sale I missed out on! OH my I am still shooting myself in the foot. Our local trift organization had their big fair and decided to have an auction for some of the bigger ticket items. Two of which were treedle sewing machines! Well I knew I had no room in the budget or home, so I was kind of slow, distracting myself from the auction, and got to talking to a friend. The auction lasted 30 minutes, not the hours I expected, and those treadles went for $5 and $1! Can you believe it!? My ten year old keeps telling me to get over it! BUT BUT BUT.... Nad someone probably has a nice new table now! Ohhhhhh.....

-Tami
livin' right and loven' life!
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2005 :  10:18:25 AM  Show Profile
I am so sorry for you Tami! I know how you feel. I wasa given a treadle machine years ago. I was keeping it in my dad's garage till we moved into our new home. He wanted to have more room,it was a very small garage and decided to put it under a tarp outside. It was winter in the NW. Needless, to say it ruined the machine, warped the wood beyound repair, all I have of it is one drawer that I keep small books in. I just recently was given a treadle that no one is going to move from its place of honor. My babbling point, Your treadle is out there waiting for you, it will find you.

Go to Top of Page

Kathigene
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Kathy
New York
160 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2005 :  2:56:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Kathigene an AOL message  Send Kathigene a Yahoo! Message
I was trying to research Janome sewing machines lately and I found that they make a "modern" treadle machine which is sold to the Amish. I have no idea what the cost is for the machine or if the parts are metal or plastic. And I think the biggest part of the puzzle is that it doesn't include the treadle part. It only replaces the sewing machine part but it's something to keep in mind if you're tired of waiting to find an antique one.

Does any one have a Janome? I'm thinking of buying their Sew Mini so that I can have a machine to use in a small space to do some light sewing.

Kathy

Dogs make such good friends because they wag their tails rather then their tongues.
Go to Top of Page

mommatracy
True Blue Farmgirl

490 Posts

Tracy
My. Olive NC
USA
490 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2007 :  5:42:15 PM  Show Profile
Back in 2001 we moved to the coast. We had 25 years of stuff to sort through including a two story building in our yard full of furn,dishes,clothes tools,toys you name it we had it. My husband was still recovering from two hip surgeries that went badly and he was just beginning to walk with crutches after 1 1/2 yrs. I was not too well myself. Anemic and exhausted. Anyway I had to get rid of alot of stuff. Guess what dumb thing I did and will never get over? I sold my treadle sewing machine for 20.00. It had been in the outbuilding for many years since I inherited it from my DH grandmother. It was in a beautiful oak cabinet with lovely carved drawer fronts. All of her sewing notions and [parts were still in the drawers. It was in perfect condition. It was a Singer. I have since tried to track it down but it is hopeless. A flea market vendor bought alot of my stuff including the sewing machine and sold it to someone traveling down the highway headed up north. I will never get over what I have done. At that time I just couldn't deal with all the stuff. I thought " what am I going to do with this thing". We were moving to the beach and I just didn;t think I"d ever use it. Big Mistake. I would pay anything to get it back. My MIL has never asked me about it, I think she just forgot about it. I hope she never does inquire about it because I don't think I could bring myself to tell her what I did. I will never get over it. It was purchased in the early 1920's I think. Anyway I just had to tell someone who would understand. Tracy in NC
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2007 :  7:50:24 PM  Show Profile
Wow, this has really inspired me. My mom really wanted a treadle and I loaned her mine for 2 years, just got it back cause she found one of her own in better shape. I need to go through mine and get busy.
Carol Sue

Life is short, enjoy every moment.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic treadle machines Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page