Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 A little help, please!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic A little help, please! Next Topic  

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2007 :  4:42:30 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone know what is best to fill pillows made with indoor/outdoor fabric with for out door use? Do I need to make an extra liner or buy some special foam or something? I picked up a nice stripe in a remnant bin and would like to make a simple pillow for my outdoor swing.

thanks!

My soul magnifies the Lord, And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior. Luke 1:46,47
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
http://beemoosie-picture-diary.blogspot.com/

suzyhomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

Clare
Tyler Hill PA
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2007 :  5:13:01 PM  Show Profile
If you are going to leave it outside, use the foam in sheets. Cut it to size. Make your cushion with a boxing type strip so it will be covered depth wise. The new Sew Simple magazine covers this in a hangbag application. You cut two squares the size plus seam allowance. Cut a long rectangle the width/depth of the cushion plus seam allowance by the total length of all four sides of the squares plus seam allowance. Sew this long rectangle into a circular type strip. Apply to one entire square on all sides. Repeat with other side leaving an opening for turning (or put in a zipper or hook and loop tape for easy removal and cleaning.)

Country girl in NE PA
Go to Top of Page

faithymom
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Faith
Sandpoint ID
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2007 :  9:38:19 PM  Show Profile
Are we talking about a seat cushion or a throw-type pillow?
If it's a seat cushion, I definitely recommend doing the zipper strip. I have done 7 large ones and after doing one that had to be hand sewn and wrestling with it to get it closed and looking neat, I did the rest of them with a zipper...it took a little bit of prep to get the zipper in, but then after you sew the top and bottom to it, you just flip it right side out, stuff the cushion in and zip it up! SO much easier!!!
If you need directions for this, let me know.

To answer your actual question, I would figure out a way to make a waterproof layer over the foam, probably best accomplished by sewing a waterproof lining like you mentioned.
I don't know if there is a specific product you can buy...

"All television is educational television. The only question is, what is it teaching?"-Fmr. FCC Commissioner Nicholas Johnson
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic A little help, please! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page