Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 My first rescue dog, a champion!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic My first rescue dog, a champion!!! Next Topic
Page: of 2

Trace
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Tracey
Canton New York
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2007 :  12:54:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Trace a Yahoo! Message
Hi Jonnie, my girls are Ella (the youngest heeler) Jill (the problem daughter and middle heeler) and Jane, my BC(ruler of the others by divine intervention) Lol Jane was really a dog who earned the title of Interventionist. Before we aquire Jane into our family, we had a rottie named Noah. I had him for 9 yrs. He was a true gentlmen in every and all senses of the word. Noah was the first dog my son had ever known and they were insepartable. Noah developed cancer later in his life and we lost him just as my son was going to start school for the first time. We all missed him dearly and I told Lee when the time was right, the right dog for us would come to us. She did, by way of Lee's bus driver and our BC rescue group. Jane came to Lee when it was time and he was ready for an intervention from the tramatic loss of his bud. It's really funny to, the night Jim brought Jane over to our house, she didn;t take to me or my hub at first but went right over to Lee and stood tight up against him. Jim was hesitent at first BUT I looked at Lee and Jane and told them all it was time. Jane is a great girl and a good chicken mom to boot. Noah was my goat kid mama, he took better care of the kid goats then either me or their realy goat mamas.
Jill, seemed to be the dog her previous owners were trying to "move away from" lol The shelter people knew me and released Jill to my care. I think I heard them release a sigh of relief after we left, lol. Ya gotta love her despite her "quirks" and Ella, is my barter baby. I bartered hay for her. When I first saw her, she was this baby pig sized thing, full of vinager, running a muck, rough, course coat(from mange)and had NO tail(someone down the line docked her tail) someday I hope she realizes it is not going to grow back and stops chasing it, lol. But she is as smart as a whip. She started retrieving at 3 months of age and I am working on agilty and fly ball with her. And her favorite pastime is using the cats as a swifter broom. They could run from her but they just lay there purring.

pics from my world.. http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/tra-dun/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2007 :  1:47:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sky is adopted from the shelter. We got her when she was about 8 weeks old. She has been my constant companion since. She goes everywhere with me and even used to sit in my lap when I drove (when she was really tiny). She is super smart and learns people's names! She knows how to get to the bank and gets up set if I "miss" the turn to the bank! LOL

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

Trace
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Tracey
Canton New York
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2007 :  2:42:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Trace a Yahoo! Message
Do they give Doggie treats out at your bank too Alee?? lol

Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2007 :  06:57:45 AM  Show Profile
Trace and Alee--
What wonderful dog families you have--it's a blessing that there are folks like you and Alee, and Janice and most of us who adopt from shelters. As much as I loved each and every dog that came through the shelter--even the rough guys, I really tried to find homes LIKE mine, not mine--also at that time, I had Lily, my 13 year old husky who was failing quickly, and the last thing I wanted to do was alienate her with other dogs--to make her feel like she had been replaced. I wanted to cherish the little time I had left with her. But, my husband came to the shelter two times, and when he left, we had 2 new dogs. I really struggled to get him there, because he associated shelters with abandonment (my dh had been put in a boys home as a teenager), and death--he called it "doggie auschwitz" which really made me angry...The first time he came, there was a black lab mix who had been thrown over the outside 8 foot high kennel fence in the middle of the night--he was totally unsocialized, frightened, a broken leg from the fall, and his worst offense was being a large black dog. The director felt he wasn't adoptable, and didn't want me to take his photo, or post him on petfinder--he was going to be euthanized. My husband was OUTRAGED, and come h*** or highwater, that dog was going home with us. He did. His name is Eli, our middle child, and is the comic relief in our family. The next time dh came out, he took home an emaciated full-blooded 4 month old german shepherd who had been left to die when her "family" abandoned her at a remote lake. Rose now weighs 110 lbs, and is my husband's shadow. She watches him like a hawk, and is the self appointed leader of our dog family (and me), even though she is the baby at 3. Our pit mix, Finn, came from the shelter, he picked me--he is my soulmate, and when the shelter closed and I left, I left with Daisy Bad Seed and Mona, an English coonhound mix who was on her way to a rescue in Chicago. Mona's transport succeeded, Daisy's adoptive parents "chickened out" so, we have an 8 year old field beagle who is more energy than the other three put together, and is pure joy.
Our dogs have quirks, too, Trace. Lot's of them! I think, more than anything, they make our house a home.
Rose

Elie

Daisy

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
Go to Top of Page

Trace
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Tracey
Canton New York
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2007 :  08:38:38 AM  Show Profile  Send Trace a Yahoo! Message
Ohh Jonnie, love the story of how your furkids came into your families lives and thanks for letting us see them!!!

Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2007 :  12:10:22 AM  Show Profile
Woo-Hoo! You did good Jonni! Bless you for helping that little dog show the world she's not just a throw away! We ALL have potential, we just need someone to believe in us-- whether we have two legs or four! -- Tracy
Go to Top of Page

Tracey
True Blue Farmgirl

766 Posts

Tracey
State of Confusion
USA
766 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2007 :  9:23:19 PM  Show Profile
Awwww...nearly made me cry! I just love stories like this one.

Please Vote For Me!
http://www.blogforayear.com/profiles/desperate-horsewife

http://carpentercreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic My first rescue dog, a champion!!! Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page